Anyone planning on running a turbo/turbos on their LSX SLC???

Once I am ready I plan to build a TT LS SL-C. Jeff wants an INSANE amount of money for his motors but he did prove that it can be done with daily driveability (actually he has built several). With twin core IC and the street tail there is no issues with cooling at all. Actually if you look at Jeff's car his IC sits right at where the street tail vents are so you would have DIRECT airflow to the IC and than straight out the back. It's like Fran thought of this when he designed it. Oh and if you are serious go to LS1tech.com as you will find plenty of info for you to go over and buy from that have priced their "kits" more in line with reality (Kentucky turbo has a kit that will take you to 1000hp for under 10K and that's expensive over there)

I've been dealing with the LS cars for almost 10 years now so I have a pretty good grasp on everything and I am on LS1TECH.com on a daily basis in the turbo section trying to decide what turbo's to go with. I'm really wanting to go with the air to water intercooler since the car won't see much street time in a year. Maybe a few weekend cruises, but nothing long enough to cause any overheating issues. Mightymouse(record holder of the fastest street LSX sub 9 second passes all day long) has his car set up perfectly and I will most likely be consulting with him about how he daily drives his car with an air to water intercooler and never has overheating issues. Just have to find one that will hold the power I plan to make and fit in the rear or the car so I can take the occasional passenger for a ride.

Eric I to troll there (have not joined) daily and you will start to see some of the regulars from here on there to.

Look up compound turbocharging. A smaller turbo feeds the larger turbo.
Have not seen it on a V8 though but it sure could and has been done.

I've only seen that in diesels. Someone tried that on the old supraforums 10 years ago or so, and it didn't turn out well. I would be interested to see if it is being successfully done in gas performance cars and the real world benefits.

I've only seen that in diesels. Someone tried that on the old supraforums 10 years ago or so, and it didn't turn out well. I would be interested to see if it is being successfully done in gas performance cars and the real world benefits.
There are/were several 2jz setups with this or similar.
Marc's 2JZ Turbo Compound Setup - YouTube

attachment.php

Attachments

• boostwhileyouboost.jpg
    boostwhileyouboost.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 15,136

Attachments

• CRC 5.jpg
    CRC 5.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,269
  • CRC 6.jpg
    CRC 6.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 754
  • CRC 7.jpg
    CRC 7.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 644
  • CRC 8.jpg
    CRC 8.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 607
Wish I could put a couple IC's in the sidepod vents :(
I need dual oil coolers there instead so I'll be doing a big one ala Jeff Schwartz style.

On a side note, is J. Schwartz in the process of building an SL-C? Think I remember hearing about that on here a while back.

I have heard of the 2JZ swap, but this is the only picture I could find of it:

2jzqj6.jpg

This one also has "NAS". I think that is something like NOS, but I can't be sure from the picture.

Jeff is getting ready to do one.....but is currently still sitting on his Ultima.
He may be sitting on that for a while. Can't imagine there would be too many people interested in an Ultima when they can have an SL-C instead, particularly in the US. One look under the skin and skin itself is all it would take to make a simple decision.

That's nothing special as BMW (straight 6)has been compound charging the 335I since it got the N54 motor. The new M3 is supposed to be TRIPLE CHARGED (one electric feeding the two bigger turbos). Now that is going to be something to look at.

Look up compound turbocharging. A smaller turbo feeds the larger turbo.
Have not seen it on a V8 though but it sure could and has been done.

The problem with compound charging is the boost ratios are insanely high for gasoline engines. (up to 5 bar) I've only seen it done for diesel applications. If I remember correctly the large turbo actually feeds the small turbo. It doesn't sound like it makes sense until you really examine it.

The intake air (not exhaust), goes through the large turbo first, while its not spinning, it just passes through it, and gets compressed in the small one. Once there is enough exhaust gas to spool up the large turbo, it starts to compress the air. After going through the large turbo, the air volume is significantly smaller, this is why you then feed it to the small turbo.

Another issue is,, the intake temperatures are very high (hence detonation prone). You are compressing the air twice. So even if you are at 80% efficency on both turbos, you are at around ~64% by the time you go have compressed it twice, and that means a lot of heat.

I wouldn't think that you would need any type of devices to reduce lag, and if you wanted to reduce transient response (ie boost build up between shifts) I would look into the BW EFR turbos. I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews on them.

From what I have seen, the EFR's build boost like a similiarly sized turbo, but have the HP capiblity of a turbo a size larger. (eg the GT6258 is about the size of a GT2860r, (350hp turbo), and spool is very similar, yet lb for lb of boost it will meet or even beat a 2871r (400-425hp), and it can reach a higher pressure ratio than the Garrett.

I would look into a pair of 7670's. They would have full boost below 3K rpm, and have the air flow potential (if the engine could take it) of 1200hp.

I've been looking at the EFRs because I have a 240sx with an SR and looking for something that will build boost quickly, yet give me good HP (450whp or so). The turbos are expensive, but they integrate a high flow wastegate (no need for external), and even a boost control solenoid. This will greatly reduce plumbing vs an external WG, even in a twin scroll setup. It's turbine is made from titanium and the compressor is forged billet alluminum.

guitaraholic BMW has it plumed in the EXACT OPPOSITE from what you posted. In the new M3 its small electric to the two bigger turbos. In the N54 and N55 (current petrol engine in the 335I) it's small to large as well. They do have a major issue with the HPFP and there is a current recall going on but it has been done on a gas engine in a main stream production gas application for some time now although in the reverse order that you just described. On a side not and talking about supras's have you seen Chris Rado's 2500hp (you read that right) supra http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/10/31/builds-gt-gt-team-need-for-speed-world-racing-supra.aspx that got a Toyota V8 put in with twin turbo's. Talk about insanity!!!!

Last edited:
I have some pictures from Toby's SL-C which I ran accross from a while back. That is all the info I have. His website is Campbell Race Concepts Inc - Race Cars, GT 40's - Burlington, Ontario, Canada, but does not look to have any newer pictures.

Chris

I need to derail for a second here, there is something wrong with these pictures......

......where is the total pint-sized hottie that I would gladly donate my left testicle to her number gone? I'm sure I've only ever seen this SL-C with her in the pics :D

water to air intercoolers are available and usable in locations where air flow is compromised. There are additional elements to this to worry about.....water pump for the intercooler(s), small radiator, maybe reservoir and piping, but W2A intercoolers are very efficient.

Back