Anyone planning on running a turbo/turbos on their LSX SLC???

Just wondering if anyone has or plans to. And if so where do you plan on mounting the turbo/turbos and what size turbo/turbos do you plan on using?

Fran, Is there room to run some mild sized twins? Like twin 76mm's? or maybe a big single 91mm?

I know guys have contacted me about TT on an LS ...but as yet I have not heard of one being built...

There is room either side of the engine to mount a turbo and an intercooler....

Heat management will be key to success ...

I am the biggest fan of turbos. I always tell people every car I own from now on will be a turbo if possible. Me and a buddy really talked long and hard about building a boosted ls3 for when I get the slc. I chose not to for many reasons.

1 It not cheap to boost a v-8. After the engine price, forged intrnals, reworked heads, cams, dry sump, and turbos. It would cost you as munch if not more then a ls7.

2. Like fran said the cooling. You would need a custom intercooler made if going for a tt build. Intercoolers are not cheap period.

3. Not always the best bang for you buck. I say put on a super charger for half the cost and get the same hp number.

4. Turbo size. Go to small your spooling up to fast. Then you have wasted boost not doing any thing. Go to big and you might never get boost.

5. A lot more to go wrong with two then one. One can be bad enough.

6. Turbos hate high temps. I try to stay out of my boost on my daily driver if the temps are over 80 degrees.

The goods

1. A turbo howl is a munch better sounding the a supercharger.

2. The whoosh sound from the wastegate get old fast. But that can be taken care of. I plan on doing this to my daily driver. Turkey Call BOV - YouTube

3. When you hit the boost it will throw you back in you seat.

4. After a good drive of pushing 15 pounds of boost. You will have a dumb smile on you face. Kind of like when you were a teenager and got laid for the first time. Yea turbos are that fun.

Anyone ever put a 2JZ in an SLC? Can it be mated to a transaxle? Is there room for it? They are a little heavy with a cast iron block but they take a crap load of boost and have decent torque. I've worked with tech2 motorsports on a 350Z project... all they do is 2JZ swaps and they are very high end. If a 2JZ will fit, I will consider this route....... although a crate LS3 is a very good bang for the buck... Just thinking out loud.

Toby Follows (Superlite race team crew member and RCR Canada go-to guy) already has a really neat twin-turbo 1UZ Lexus-powered SLC. So the idea isn't new, or unproven.

The SLC actually has a lot of space for twins, and opening up the side vents a bit - as Toby and others have done- would make them ideal for side-mounted intercoolers.

The SLC is really ideally designed for a TT application, far better than any other choice in the market space it inhabits.

All things being equal (meaning the same PSIG) the turbo car will have more power than a supercharged car. Modern turbos have largely done away with lag, and a turbo car will generally return better mileage as well, compared to the same car supercharged to the same boost level.

So what's not to like? :)

In a TT setup, do fabricators ever undersize one turbo to get that quick boost and power, and oversize the other turbo to get big boost and power that comes on hard? It seems that if they were correctly paired, you could have quick power, and when the wheels have hooked up, the power from the large turbo shows up.

Maybe it's common, but I've never heard of this setup.

Last edited:
In a TT setup, do fabricators ever undersize one turbo to get that quick boost and power, and oversize the other turbo to get big boost and power that comes on hard? It seems that if they were correctly paired, you could have quick power, and when the wheels have hooked up, the power from the large turbo shows up.

I've heard of it being done, but have yet to come across anyone's actual set up for reference. This is something that crossed my mind as well. Even thought about going compound boost like the ford Gt guys do

What you are describing is referred to as sequential twin turbos. This type of system came installed from the factory in the 93.5-98 mkiv Toyota Supra twin turbo model among a few other cars over the years. However both turbos were the same size and spec.

It used a system to divert the exhaust energy to the first turbo allowing it to spool up quickly and then at a certain boost pressure an actuator would open a valve allowing the exhaust gases to bring the 2nd turbo on line and the 2 turbos would then work in parallel.

This is an oversimplified explanation as I am typing this from my phone but it's basically how it worked.

This system is more useful on a small displacement low torque engine. Totally unnecessary on a LS motor in a 2400lb car and would add unneeded weight and complexity IMO.

If I cared about instant boost from a turbo LS engine I would worry more about proper sizing of the turbo and the turbo header and collector design. Additionly I would see if there were any variable vane turbos available that would fit the application. Back when I was into turbos it was a very high dollar specialized turbo only really available in oem applications a la Porsche 911. I am not sure what is available now. I have been more into
N/A builds for a while.

While it is not an SL-C, Jeff Schwartz put together a TT LS2 and a TT LS-7 in a pair of Ultimas.

Chris

Attachments

• Schwartz LS-2 TT.jpg
    Schwartz LS-2 TT.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,278
  • Schwartz LS-7 TT.jpg
    Schwartz LS-7 TT.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4,175
  • Schwartz LS-7 TT and LS-2 TT.jpg
    Schwartz LS-7 TT and LS-2 TT.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,375
While it is not an SL-C, Jeff Schwartz put together a TT LS2 and a TT LS-7 in a pair of Ultimas.

Chris

Notice the "hot air intake" next to another radiator/cooler. Drawing the intake air from a sealed box with access only to outside air is normally a better practice. I wonder what the air temps were before and after the intercooler (which also doesn't look like it is mounted in the most effective position, either).

I'm sure that Jeff's implementation was limited by the space constraints in the Ultimas, but for those building an SLC, there are more options for packaging, especially for cars with the street tail. Twin intercoolers are easily mounted on the sides, and there is plenty of room for turbos there as well. For a good example of this, see Toby's Lexus TT engine compartment which has side-mounted intercoolers, and optimal hot- and cold-side plumbing design.

The Ultima setups from Schwartz were supposed to generate over 1000 HP, so even with the obvious compromises, they still made real power.

Look up compound turbocharging. A smaller turbo feeds the larger turbo.
Have not seen it on a V8 though but it sure could and has been done.

Once I am ready I plan to build a TT LS SL-C. Jeff wants an INSANE amount of money for his motors but he did prove that it can be done with daily driveability (actually he has built several). With twin core IC and the street tail there is no issues with cooling at all. Actually if you look at Jeff's car his IC sits right at where the street tail vents are so you would have DIRECT airflow to the IC and than straight out the back. It's like Fran thought of this when he designed it. Oh and if you are serious go to LS1tech.com as you will find plenty of info for you to go over and buy from that have priced their "kits" more in line with reality (Kentucky turbo has a kit that will take you to 1000hp for under 10K and that's expensive over there)

What you are describing is referred to as sequential twin turbos. This type of system came installed from the factory in the 93.5-98 mkiv Toyota Supra twin turbo model among a few other cars over the years. However both turbos were the same size and spec.

IIRC, the Porsche 959 was the first production car to use sequential turbos. There was an interesting paper on it that I read back when I worked for Renault Research.

Back