Anyone producing convincing looking GT40 chassis?

Hi all

I've been building my Tornado for a little under 2 years. I am loving the experience of building my own car and the new skills and knowledge I am picking up along the way but the more I get into the GT40 scene the more I realise I'd love my chassis to look that bit more original.

It seems only Superformance has cracked the original style chassis which look great but they only sell finished cars and as a builder I want that involvement with the project and I like the fact I can spread the build cost with something like a Tornado. The other option is a scratchbuild like JIMMYMAC's or Jim Dunham's cars. The problem there is the time, effort and skill required which rules out people like me.

So the question is, does anyone produce a superformance style kit that looks more original than say a Tornado, GTD, KVA etc and if not is there a market there for someone like Superformance to offer their cars in a kit form?

Thanks

Trevor

I guess the closest I've seen to something more like an original in kit form was Tom's amazing RCR build but he had to do a lot of chopping and fabricating to get the front of his chassis looking like this.

PICT4228.jpg

Actually Trevor the earlier RCR cars all had a steel subframe front and rear.....it was the stock set up...quite a few RCR cars still have that style front and rear set up.

Tom did not modify the chassis at all...as its all bolt on....and not very difficult to make. To be honest if making that type of part seems like it is too difficult then building a more accurate project may be out of reach too....
Jims project was certainly much more involved and required more difficult work than making a subframe or two...and took 7 years ....yikes

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Fran, that's very helpful. Do you have any pictures of the earlier style cars showing the steel subframe?

You say that kind of part is easy to produce, is that something you could potentially offer to with an RCR kit?

Trevor

Last edited:
No problem Trev.
We make many custom tailored part for our customers...from a supercharged 5.4/ZF in our RCR40 to things like the Cadillac VSR (photo from Motortrend article...not a rendering btw) from scratch and everything in between...

This is Ron McCalls RCR40 #14 during his build..

Attachments

• Cadillac-VSR-Concept-Front-Side-Top-View.jpg
    Cadillac-VSR-Concept-Front-Side-Top-View.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 580
  • 80793-123_2344-2.JPG
    80793-123_2344-2.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 927
  • 80885-123_2360-2.JPG
    80885-123_2360-2.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,044
Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

If you want a more original front end we can do that for you but its not cheap.

If you are thinking about selling the chassis you have give me a call.

Thanks

Andy

Trevor

check out my build log. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/24525-toms-rcr-40-trackracer-3.html#post227890

see that fabricating the front frame took me around 8 hours ( 1 saturday)
Plus about 8h for the panelling and another 4 h for the final trim.
Material cost is low. And it is easy to make.
about the same for the rear one.

The nice thing on a RCR is that there is no panelling required. Actualy the Kit arrives in a stage which you have not yet achieved after two years. Getting a RCR close to an original locking car is very much supported by the fact that the chassis itself has a very close shape to the original one.
Plus the RCR body is a copy of an original car ( not a copy of another replica) . The outer and inner body panels are as original ( Jim Dunham is using a RCR body on his amazing build). Just take a close look at the shape of the rear wheel wells and compare different replicas with original cars. As you say, the more one is into this cars, the more obvious those small differences and there influence on orginal appearance will be for you.

Additionaly the stiffness of the RCR chassis, the full adjustability and performance of the suspension and brakes, make the RCR also a great performant car.

Thanks
TOM

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Original style monocoques are built by David Brown, Mirage, Gox, and I think a few others. I have not seen any other than my own David Brown chassis. FWIW, it was also seen by Ronnie Spain who felt it was closer to an original Abbey Panels chassis than anything he's ever seen. I know ERA builds them also, but I don't know how close to an Abbey Panels chassis they are. No doubt I have left someone out, my apologies.

But building this car has cost a fortune and twelve years. SPF is a far better alternative, IMHO, if you want a steel chassis car that emulates an original.

Trevor

check out my build log. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/24525-toms-rcr-40-trackracer-3.html#post227890

see that fabricating the front frame took me around 8 hours ( 1 saturday)
Plus about 8h for the panelling and another 4 h for the final trim.
Material cost is low. And it is easy to make.
about the same for the rear one.

The nice thing on a RCR is that there is no panelling required. Actualy the Kit arrives in a stage which you have not yet achieved after two years. Getting a RCR close to an original locking car is very much supported by the fact that the chassis itself has a very close shape to the original one.
Plus the RCR body is a copy of an original car ( not a copy of another replica) . The outer and inner body panels are as original ( Jim Dunham is using a RCR body on his amazing build). Just take a close look at the shape of the rear wheel wells and compare different replicas with original cars. As you say, the more one is into this cars, the more obvious those small differences and there influence on orginal appearance will be for you.

Additionaly the stiffness of the RCR chassis, the full adjustability and performance of the suspension and brakes, make the RCR also a great performant car.

Thanks
TOM

Thanks for the info on RCR Tom, I actually spoke to Fran earlier who was kind enough to take the time to have a chat with me. As you say RCR seems to offer a good mix of performance, originality and obviously affordability. Something to definitely think about

Mike Pass

Supporter
I don't know about the status of Mirage currently. Following the loss of Ray I don't know what if anything is happening with Mirage. Maybe JimmyMac is more in the picture.
Cheers
Mike

Don't forget about Gelscoe. Although they are in the business of building complete cars from scratch, I presume they might be willing to sell it to you one bit at a time, starting with the chassis?

It's expensive when you buy it as a complete car. Bit-by-bit might be even more?

Don't forget about Gelscoe. Although they are in the business of building complete cars from scratch, I presume they might be willing to sell it to you one bit at a time, starting with the chassis?

It's expensive when you buy it as a complete car. Bit-by-bit might be even more?

I haven't forgotten about Gelscoe, they are the business but too far out of my budget. Gelscoe are currently producing some steering parts for my Tornado and their craftsmanship is amazing. If money wasn't an issue I'd be straight on the phone to Andy & Jon and get an order on a Gelscoe car.

Come on that lottery win :)

I haven't forgotten about Gelscoe, they are the business but too far out of my budget. Gelscoe are currently producing some steering parts for my Tornado and their craftsmanship is amazing. If money wasn't an issue I'd be straight on the phone to Andy & Jon and get an order on a Gelscoe car.

Come on that lottery win :)

Cheers dude !...... just welding up your bits now.

A.

Like you Trev......Lottery win, call Geslcoe! No kidding it would probably be my first call after the one to my boss! Fantastic cars and IMHO well worth it.

I must have spent about 45 minutes just drooling on the Linden Green Gelscoe car parked in the paddock at Le Mans Classic 2010. If only I could afford such a thing, I would be camped on Andy and Jon's doorstep begging them to build one for me! Such a top-notch car, and although they don't remember me at all I'm sure, they've both been extremely friendly and kind when I've spoken with them briefly in the paddock at various events over the years....

Darnel A.

Supporter
. So the question is said:
IMHO, ERA is the closest Kit to the original. I also think they have the best Gulf body, being the only Manufacturer with a correctly flared front fender.

Darnel

Attachments

• Chassis%20-%20ERA.jpg
    Chassis%20-%20ERA.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,001
  • $(KGrHqEOKj8E30180R!vBN97Tq!UBw~~_4.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKj8E30180R!vBN97Tq!UBw~~_4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 575
  • $(KGrHqMOKiUE32srNDbIBN97UZi5bQ~~_4.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKiUE32srNDbIBN97UZi5bQ~~_4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 553
  • $(KGrHqYOKjoE3uFdB,o-BN97UI2(o!~~_4.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKjoE3uFdB,o-BN97UI2(o!~~_4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Darnel,

First time i've seen a photo of an ERA monocoque.
I understood that it was a close copy of the original chassis.
I'm shocked, to say the least.......
It's missing all the detailed pressings.
Just compare that front bulkhead with an original, or even my monocque.
They have simplified it big time.
Thank god i didn't go the ERA route.

Back