Audi 016 slave cylinder

Chuck

Supporter
I am working on the tranny. It has the stock clutch slave cylinder. As best I can tell there is no way to adjust it. No way to make sure the initial adjustment is correct and no way to compensate for wear. Am I missing something or is it intended not to be adjustable?

Curious as to whether there are any traps or issues with the stock slave cylinder which we need to watch out for. Seems like a rather simple, clean design.

Hey Chuck, what we did to adjust the travel of the slave cylinder throw was to add to the thickness of the throw out bearing housing. My car has a thick adaptor plate and the slave cylinder piston would come out of the bore trying to fully release the clutch. We welded another empty throw out bearing housing to the bottom of the main throw out bearing housing, which added about 3/8" to the thickness. This allowed the clutch to fully release and kept the slave cylinder from over extending. Hope this helps you some.

The Audi slave is forward biased; a spring inside the slave keeps the piston/rod in contact with the fork with some slight force. This keeps the throw out bearing in constant contact with the pressure plate release fingers. There is no adjustment as it is self compensating. When adapting clutch components, you'll need to pay attention to the available range of motion the piston travel allows. As Mark noted, some type of spacer or adapter may be required for your particular setup.

Andy

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the best approach it put it together, see how it lines up, then decide if any mods are needed. Hopefully with the self adjusting design there will be a bit of room to play with so we can avoid modifications.

The way I did mine (I have got a 01X which is similar) was to make a new longer push rod.

What I did was assemble the engine/clutch/gearbox and then with the slave cylinder removed measure the distance from the release arm to the slave cylinder mounting bolt through the slave hole in the bell housing. Call this measurement "A"

Then measure the distance of the front face of the slave cylinder piston when fully extended (ie at rest) to the mounting bolt hole. "B"

Then fully compress the slave and find out the max travel, "C" (this was about 50mm on my slave cylinder)

The required length for the new push rod is

(A-B)+(C x 0.75)

This will end up with the slave piston at 75% compression at rest and give a good extension travel when operating the clutch whilst still allowing for piston push back as the clutch wears.

Worked fine on my car :)

Hilly

Andy,
What Slave cylinder did you use? I am currently looking for one for mine. Thanks

Brett

PS Managed to get some A4 driveshafts off fleaBay (£25 [slightly old] & £30 [new]) so I didn't have to do the adaptors in the end.

Brett,

I used Audi P/N 4A0721261. The application is for an Audi 80/90 (?) which also happens to fit my 01E. The only reason I chose this slave was for its threaded fitting, rather than the odd quick disconnect found on the standard 01E. You'll have to check, but I suspect that most of the slaves are somewhat universal in fit amongst transaxles with perhaps some variation in piston diameters.

Andys

The front casing for the 01A is near identical to the 01E and for that matter the 01X and therefore any slave for a 80/90, a4, a6, Passat should fit.

I just used the slave that was screwed to my gearbox when I got it. I does have the fiddly quick disconnect fitting and the pipe was broken so I had to make up a new one on the lathe to fit.

Good work with getting the drive shafts, that will save a bit of effort .....

Hilly

Back