Audi 01E clutch slave

Have a look, there may be a tension pin/roll pin, this would have to be driven through before prying the cylinder out.

Some pressure on the clutch pedal while your assistant wiggles the slave should help to loosen things up. Should come straight back and out.

Some penetrating oil in the pin hole, Pressure on the pedal and tap the back of the cylinder with a dead blow hammer to loosen up the bond. Then a liberal coating of never seize on the new one so it comes out easy next time.

My 01e has a plastic slave cylinder retained by a single bolt. The body of the slave has a rubber sleeve where it enters the bellhousing. Remove the bolt and slide the metal the metal retainer off, twist the slave slightly to clear the retaining step on the transaxle, and it should pull right out. Here's a photo (ignor the blue tape)

Andy

Attachments

• Slave Zoom.jpg
    Slave Zoom.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 444

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
All 01E's have a bolted in slave. If yours is held in by a pin it's an 016 transmission.

Thanks for the information.

Regardless it won't budge! We are thinking it might be sucking in air somewhere.

We are also going to flush the system. Any thoughts on Dot 5 for this system? Or should we stay with Dot 3/4 high temp racing?

If by dot 5 you mean silicon fluid I would not go there, dot 4 hi temp racing is as good as you will ever need.

john

Hi Michael, as mentioned, the cylinder perpendicular to the slave cylinder should have a retaining pin that needs to be driven out, possibly with a bolt that will fit just inside the cylinder walls. My car somehow did not have a pin but luckily the slave was also well stuck in the trans housing. I would spray penetrant around the slave and let that sit awhile. I used a pipe wrench and wiggled the slave back and forth until it came out. I used some sandpaper to clean the hole and the new one slipped right in. For the new retainer, I used a small stainless steel bolt and ny-loc nut.

Mark Clapp

Thanks for the information.

Regardless it won't budge! We are thinking it might be sucking in air somewhere.

We are also going to flush the system. Any thoughts on Dot 5 for this system? Or should we stay with Dot 3/4 high temp racing?

Often with the 016 the slave corrodes itself into the bell housing. I've broken transmission housings trying to get it out. You have to remove the pin which might mean drilling it out, and then remove the slave which might mean hammering it out, or cutting it into piece to get it removed.

Back