Aussie GT40 - on a budget (if possible)

G'day everyone,

I'm Christopher. I'm eighteen and have started with a GT40 build. John Steiner (kaspa) suggested I get on here, so here I am.

Some really nice cars cars being built, and your advice would be appreciated.

So far the contraversial plan seems to be a chevy ls power plant. Being eighteen, the budget is slim, and the ls seems to represent the best bang for buck, unless anyone leaves something at the door in the meantime:)

I've bought a g97 porsche box, and radiator.

Should be starting the build soon.....

If anyone has any bits and bobs in their sheds they're willing to sell let me know.

Wheels anyone??

Can't wait,
Cheers,

Chris

P.S: does anyone no the bolt pattern of the g97 box???

thanks Dave and Kyle,

I've spoken to Chris. Unfortunately he doesn't have the patterns for the g97 so I'm working on that at the moment, and I'll get onto determine the patterns soon.

Cheers,
Chris

Ultima Sports do an adaptor for that configuration.
Starter is on engine side, Porsche bell housing is smaller than the LS so there is a bit involved.

Ultima Sports do an adaptor for that configuration.
Starter is on engine side, Porsche bell housing is smaller than the LS so there is a bit involved.

Thanks for your help Ryan:thumbsup:

I'll give 'em a go.

Yeah there's a fair bit involved as I've realised, started getting ready to start making the adapter, but if Ultima do the job, might save me a few head aches:shy::shy::shy:

Cheers Chris

I would check to see how different it is from the other Porsche and Audi boxes. you may find that something else fits 90% of the bolt holes and you only need to drill and tap a few extra.

I would check to see how different it is from the other Porsche and Audi boxes. you may find that something else fits 90% of the bolt holes and you only need to drill and tap a few extra.

G'day Ryan,

I know it's different to the audi boxes,

how ever I was gonna see if the four bolt holes on the g50 box coincide with any four on my g97 box. Wish me luck!!!

Cheers Christopher

What kind of gt40 are you going to build tube frame , mono ?

What kind of gt40?

At the moment it's in my head (it's not a kit or brand).The chassis and bodies were built by a group of 10 guys.

I'm aiming for it to look (exterior) as period correct as possible, while underneath it's going to include some pretty modern tech. I'm really interested in suspension design, and that's what I like, so one of the unchangeable credentials of this car is that it is going to have completely new suspension design (push-rod suspension and other goodies)

Definitely tube frame.

It's just not cost effective enough to build a tub and I've gotta few trick things in mind for the suspension which are not easily possible/effective with a tub.

I'll chuck up some pictures when I figure out how......

Cheers,
Chris

a few pics.....

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 460
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 485
  • bare chassis 3.jpg
    bare chassis 3.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 485
  • bare chassis 4.jpg
    bare chassis 4.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 505
  • bare chassis - Copy.jpg
    bare chassis - Copy.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 633
Hi Christpher
I used that same / similar chassis design in the road going Mclaren M8B that I am building, (my 3rd Mclaren). I had to make some changes around the front due to the larger air exhaust from the radiator and the overall chassis width. This car is running a Toyota 1UZ on an Audi 012 transaxel. Great to see you taking on such a project.
Cheers from NewZealand

Attachments

• DSCN2764.JPG
    DSCN2764.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCN2763.JPG
    DSCN2763.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCN2450.JPG
    DSCN2450.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 482
Hi Christpher
I used that same / similar chassis design in the road going Mclaren M8B that I am building, (my 3rd Mclaren). I had to make some changes around the front due to the larger air exhaust from the radiator and the overall chassis width. This car is running a Toyota 1UZ on an Audi 012 transaxel. Great to see you taking on such a project.
Cheers from NewZealand

Geez that looks stunning Russel!!!

Always been a huge fan of the McLaren Can-Am cars, let me know if you got any left over parts you want to sell, as I'm trying to stock pile parts in the next month or two to help get this build underway.

Is it going to be a track beast or a road car?

Cheers,
Christopher

Hi Chris,

just came across your post, I don't login very often, all my spare time goes to the GT40.
Good luck with your build and trying to keep to a Low Budget.!!

I have an older chassis and best fit was a Ford 302, using the last of the SBF "Tickford" 5.0L XR8 Engines and an AUDI 012 Transaxle.
CV Shafts are Holden Commodore, super strong and cheap.

Hi Chris,

just came across your post, I don't login very often, all my spare time goes to the GT40.
Good luck with your build and trying to keep to a Low Budget.!!

I have an older chassis and best fit was a Ford 302, using the last of the SBF "Tickford" 5.0L XR8 Engines and an AUDI 012 Transaxle.
CV Shafts are Holden Commodore, super strong and cheap.
Chris, a point to remember is that the Audi 012 drive flanges are off set approx 40mm to the left meaning an adaptor is needed to take that up. I am also using HSV axels and drive flanges that do require an adaptor. Check what wheel offsets you are using to arrive at your overall track width. I can show some pics when I get back from holiday and my parts will be made.

Back