Bank Charges Help

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

Can anyone in the US clarify something for me.

I am purchasing some parts from a US supplier and am paying by money transfer and he informs me he will be charged by his bank for receiving the payment.

My bank here in Australia charges fees for me to send the money but I have never heard of a bank charging fees for someone to receive money.

Dimi

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If you send a payment in USD from Australia to say China, the American bank through which the money moves will help themselves to a lump as the money moves through their bank.

Something about US banks that makes them think they are entitled to charge, charge, charge.

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Not all banks do this, though. It depends on your account relationship with them. My bank (PNC) does not charge me for outgoing domestic wires or incoming domestic. Overseas, they DO charge.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys

The problem arises when a supplier in the US states the cost for a product , supplied me with an invoice total which was then sent from Australia via international transfer for the full amount in US dollars.
Then after receipt of the transferred funds complains his bank charged him for receipt of funds and wants me to transfer more funds to cover his charges.

Then no doubt the bank will make further charges and he will want further payment etc, etc ,etc.

Where does it all stop ???????.

Dimi

Malcolm

Supporter
When sending money to the US not all US banks receive international payments so it may get routed via another bank on its way. There is a charge for that which you will not get quoted on but will find out when the money arrives!

Back