Battlecry..!!!!!

I'll add a little to this. The S7 is a great looking car and I have never seen another car draw the same attention. My friend has 2, one an early NA version and a later one that is a twin turbo.

When he got the NA one, the paint was so thin that the carbon fiber was showing through and it immediately had to be sent back to Saleen to be repainted.

He then dyno'd his 580HP S7 and it put down the same horsepower number at the rear wheels as the stock 450hp rated Gen 2 Vipers that we were dyno'ing. He had paid the $30K upgrade from the standard 550HP rating to get the 580HP motor. It had to be sent back to Saleen to find the missing horsepower. I don't know if they ever did.

We then took it on a 3 day run. Accidentally spilled a little gas filling it up and the black paint around the filler nozzle washed off.

We then entered our cars in a car show and he put it into reverse to back up a hill we were staging on and popped the clutch a little and tore the transmission up. We had to call a flatbed truck to come pick it up and haul it back to Saleen.

We never weighed it, but I am also skeptical about the claimed 2750lb weight. Its a pretty big car with a pretty heavy looking engine in it.

It's like being married to a supermodel. Looks great sitting there, but darn hard to live with! I'd still love to have one though.

And here I thought only Ferrari's & Lamborghini's were temperamental. For upwards of $300,000 K a car that falls apart like that is simply unacceptable.

Could you imagine what that kind of cash in an SL-C would result!?

The NA Saleen was actually $483,000 MSRP....and I think the TT was reported to be $650,000 and up.......:stunned:

$500K for a car that you can't drive around and tear up the occasional f'way on-ramp.:stunned:

Give me a car that you can drive and work on as it needs it.:thumbsup:

I viewed some show (featuring Steve Saleen) that stated the car was developed from a clean sheet of paper to a finished running car in some incredibly short period of time. I don't remember how long the time was, but it struck me as SHORT. Not enough time to figure out the basic serviceability issues apparently.

His NA S7 was one of the very first cars off the production line, so you can expect some bugs to work out, but it certainly seemed excessive to me. He also DRIVES his cars and I am sure that there are a lot of S7's and similar exotic cars that pretty much sit in garages and never have a problem, but how many of them get driven across the country without an issue?

The missing HP was the one thing that really bothered me as that isn't simply an early build quality issue and it wouldn't be the first time that Saleen has publish numbers that his cars couldn't back-up.

I think a well prepped SL-C will fair very well against most of the exotic supercars out there from a performance standpoint. By well prepped, I am thinking along the lines of an LS7 built to 600+hp or LS9 or equivelant, big brake upgrade and things of that nature.

From a cost/performance standpoint for a street performance car, the new Viper that will be introduced in 2012 is expected to come in at about 700HP, 3200lbs and stay around $100K for the base version and have a full warranty. That is what I am trying to weight in my own decision. Can the performance, exclusiveness, looks and final finish (with me building it:D) of the SL-C meet/exceed that benchmark? I feel comfortable on the performance and exclusiveness, less comfortable on the looks (until I can see one in person) and finish that I can achieve. I am not looking for a luxury car finish, more like a purpose built performance car. Something like what was achieved with the F40, but a little less stark.

Of course, this thread is really about determining how bad-ass of a track car the SL-C is so sorry for the derail.

Ken some CF panels and green glue and it will look like the inside of an F40 as Fran already has a CF package available for the SLC :thumbsup:.

All this talk about some unrelated s7 seems your "BATTLECRY" turned into a battle whimper! While we are still completing our inventory of goodies at the local Home Depot and Costco, it will be a good match.

By the way, I can see that the SLC owners and dreamers are not as loyal as the GTM crowd! Also, as Fran's and the owners efforts to raise money for a great cause, I see no one answering the challenge of PDG at a dollar a lap. And now I don't care if we are wearing the same prom dress, we will just be dancing more!

I won't say what I think, right now.

RM

His NA S7 was one of the very first cars off the production line, so you can expect some bugs to work out, but it certainly seemed excessive to me. He also DRIVES his cars and I am sure that there are a lot of S7's and similar exotic cars that pretty much sit in garages and never have a problem, but how many of them get driven across the country without an issue? .

A guy up here has a TT S7. I believe he's on his 4th engine already.

I'm sorry, but if I need 4 engines before 100k something's very wrong.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Richard, how many laps will it take to win. Assume dry race. Round figures buddy, I'm just trying to see what I can afford. I know you only need to finish 1st the last one, but how many did you guys complete last year? Something like 550-650 laps total sound right?

25 per hour (2.30sec lap ave including stops) * 25 hours = 625

If you are asking how many laps to beat the SLC? It will be only two. They will break n the first lap! To win the overall, we wil probably do 715 laps at our pace.

RM

Hey now!
It's not the engines fault for being poorly setup and having a crummy tune :thumbsup:

Dave, since I know you're deadset on using a rotary in your SLC, I've been doing some design work to help make it the best possible experience for you.

I have isolated a problem, and have a viable solution for you.

Problem:

rx7-RotaryEngineAnimation.gif

But don't worry, the solution is an easy one!

motor_wout3.gif

Hopefully this was of some help to you :)

Too late, no hope for me, or for you keeping up with me with that boat anchor of an engine :laugh:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2099_resize.jpg
    IMG_2099_resize.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 587

Howard Jones

Supporter
DAVE, you Fu#*&# you've been holding out on us! The rest of the NORCAL SLC gang demands a viewing!

Richard.....now now play nice........the new kid on the block needs a new friend. Wow! you guys sound like you are running 2.12-2.15 around the clock. Thats a fair pace for a whole day. Good luck and I hope you are wrong and it DOES come down to the last couple of hours.

Dave, Rob, do we have a meetup plan for the race? Rob you got the deathstar ready?

Last edited:
Back