Best handling RCR

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are any impressions as to which RCR model is the fastest around a track given equal power and the same driver?

Comments?

Dan,
as yet there are many cars being built but none on track.

Feel free to call the RCR shop and I can help with any and all questions.

Regards

Fran 586-294-7002

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Dan your question is very subjective to get any real conclusive answer. My suggestion is for you to buy one of each of Fran's cars and give us a write up.

I will take the car you dislike the most.

Gregg, your suggestion sounds like a good plan! Doubt finances will work out though.

Fran, I will definetly be in contact once I am in position to more forward, don't want to waste you time till then.

Gregg, your suggestion sounds like a good plan! Doubt finances will work out though.

Fran, I will definetly be in contact once I am in position to more forward, don't want to waste you time till then.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Ah....Ron... I think you made a slight error in your statement.

You forgot about MINE!!!

Ron Earp

Admin
No. Wrong.:) you guys have all those doors, roof, glass, dash, AC, all sorts of stuff slowing you down in the handling department!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm...... tough argument. I'll get back to you with a rebuttal...

Hey, how do you guys get the smily faces? I haven't been able to do that since the new forum.......

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Yahoo.....:pepper: That rocks dudes...rockonsmile

Thanks Alex & Doug (and Sandy for orig post)

Sorry for the mini hijack of the thread Dan.

We now return you to the regularly broadcast message.......

Any ideas how the RCRs stack up to the original in race conditions? I can't help believe that with better / stiffer chassis, more powerful engines and much better rubber, that the cars should be much faster than the originals.

Any G forces, acceleration times etc?

Thanks
Dom

domtoni
Right now the originals have the edge because as the previous posts all say there is not an RCR on the track. Since RCR et al are component cars, it's ultimate abilities are heavily reliant on the builder and his ability to make the components work together.

My bet would be on Ford's budget and engineers of the day, however given testing and development there is no reason They can't exceed 60's technology on a back yard budget.

My .02

Thanks Andy. Some years ago, when I moved to the UK, I met a guy, who's brother is said to have been the father of the GT40.
This chief engineer chap, moved back to the UK, and did some consultancy for one of the GT40 companies of its day. Apparantly his work was to help make the car handle better. At days' end, the car was more show than go.

After seeing Fran's cars, I was really impressed by the chassis and the power some of his customers are loading into them.

I just can't decide which of Fran's cars I want, maybe I will take one of each !!!

Best
Dom

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think modern tires, closely followed by the brakes available today, would make enough difference that it wouldn't be much of a contest. After all we are in effect limiting the original to the rules of yesterday and not applying them at all to our home-built car.

Now if we can get Dan or Mario to do the drivin.... wouldn't THAT be something!

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
I think careful setting up of the suspension with a keen eye towards the specific track conditions you encounter can make a bigger difference than what model/make of gt40 (or other similar) you have. I've seen several very slow gt40s which are cars that have just been completed and hence no set up time, and, several very, very fast gt40s which don't look like much but are quick because the suspension tuning has been done well. Of course, good brakes and good tires do make a difference but I think you'd find that working hard on the tuning is what makes the difference.

I'm fortunate because the CAV chassis I have was designed with the input of ex-professional racers and engineers of the highest caliber. And, there are a lot of other CAVs out there on the track so there are some basic suspension settings which are available and can make you pretty quick right out of the box.

I'm sure Fran will do a wonderful job of assisting with the track set up on cars and kits he has produced - it just may be a little ways down the road until there are enough RCRs running on tracks to establish the optimal settings. Undoubtedly they will be fast cars with that rigid aluminum monocoque chassis and fine suspension pieces.

Fran, is the geometry of the RCR GT40 suspension identical with the original cars? Pivot locations, arm lengths, etc.? Or very close? Or improved even, by computer analysis or your years of racing experience? I'm curious.

Regards,
Dalton

All this hypothetical mumbo-jumbo!
Well, I think there is no real way to tell unless someone goes out there and drive it around the same track that an original one did. I can find some lap times on-line from back in the day, but I don’t know if an EXACT comparison is even possible since a lot of the tracks have changed over the years.

But for now; until we can race the old and the new side by side, we can compare specs. I think the most relevant specs to compare would be weight and power. Along with something a little more subjective like, what the car does at the limits.

I’m really interested in how these cars perform on the track; because if I get one, I want it to be a total track car.

Here’s something of interest: a Porsche 917/10 lapped the Nordschleife in 7:31:40 in 1973
While a new Z06 did a 7:42.9

But the tracks have changed over the years and the Z06 had a 2km shorter distance on the modern track…
I think back in 1973, Nurburgring had a full fledged jump…

speaking of jumps.. heres a pic of the Z06 setting its time SUPERCARS.NET - Community Forums

heres some car times: Nurburgring Track Times - Supercars.net

Back