Best Kit

This is a subjective topic and really can't be answered objectively. In the end, the best kit is the one you can afford to buy.

Your question is not easily answered and depends on some criteria around "best" - most accurate to the original? strongest? lightest? most durable? highly engineered?

It's also a somewhat delicate subject because, as you can imagine, many of the forum members are owners of various makes and reasonably may feel passionate about the virtues of their particular make. My recommendation would be to a) spend some time on the site here and use the search function to research similar past discussions, and b) formulate in your head which are the most important criteria to you in determining "best"

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
As I see it the kits avalible are as follows

KVA - The first GT40 kit but for a MkIII, space frame, very little in the way of instructions (i.e. none) but very cheap, uses old UK granada hubs brakes.

Tornado - Excellent space frame kits been around for years and they have a very 'polished' kit with very good customer service.

MDA - A good space frame with replica rear suspension components

CAV - stainless steel monocoque, (not in production now?) strong and wont rust!!! very good cars.

RCR - Aluminium monocoque kits/turnkey... excellent reputation and customer service.

GTD - Spaceframe car - not produced now but loads of these completed cars are around especially in the uk.

ERA - Excellent monocoque chassis and customer service.

Also if you look hard enough you will find a few people selling replica monocoque chassis but the price is much higher than a 'kit' build.

Trawl the net find manufactureres sites and look at the various build threads on this site.

Also consider where you are and where the supplier is (the same country helps loads!!)

Also decide NOW what engine and gearbox you want and also what you want to do with the car... street... street/track.... track.

If you looking for a second hand car then its strongly advised to get someone who has built one to look at it with you.

Good luck with the quest and enjoy the ride.........

Andy
(not affiliated to any manufacturers just my 0.02 cents worth)
have I missed any manufactureres?????

I have the money to buy 10 kits but I´m only intrested in ONE - and that should be the best - so which one do you recommend?

Again, Bill D's answer is spot on. The "best" kit depends on what you want"

Accuracy - Superformance, Gox or ERA
Raceability - RCR, ERA, CAV all seem like good contenders, but for racing, the more money
you through at it the better, and any of them can be developed into contenders - just look
at all of the GTDs that see plenty of track time, or the RFs that owners are constantly tuning
and developing.
Monocoque - Superformace, RCR, CAV, ERA, Gox - edit - Tornado now has an option for mono
Spaceframe - Tornado, MDA, Southern, GT40 Australia

A highly developed already driven GTD might be a solid choice as well. Tim K's Tornado
is another well built car that sees track time. Look at CAV's GTR development, and Dean
Lampe's or Ron McCall's RCR for track success. Plenty of ERAs see track time as well.

Spaceframe vs. Mono - again, this is a toss up in some areas (except accuracy), and if
you are seriously into competitive racing, the specific racing organization and class you wish
to enter in may dictate what you can and cannot do easily (spaceframes may be prohibited
in some classes, monocoques might be more difficult to modify to meet the rules in others).

The above are partially my opinion, and partially just naming names. The real answer requires
a better idea of what you want to do with it, where you live (support from the manufacturer
is always a plus, so the closer to the manufacturer or agent, the better), etc. So, decide
what you want in a replica first, and then search the boards for the sea of opinions regarding
each manufacturer and chassis type. Another consideration is how much work do you want
to do yourself (or contract out) vs. how complete you want the car upon delivery. All will
build a turnkey or turnkey minus for you, but some do not offer bare bones kits if you prefer
to build it yourself.

Ian

Mike Pass

Supporter
If you want the best interms of originality and want historic papers to race it then the Gelscoe car (UK) is spot on. Check out the pics of their white car (in the GT40 enthusiasts club section NEC car show thread). They are as close to original as you can get. They are however race cars just like the original - a bit much for the road but just about possible with very hard suspension and a rev happy motor. Cost - about £230,000. I wish.....
Cheers
Mike

If you want the best interms of originality and want historic papers to race it then the Gelscoe car (UK) is spot on. Check out the pics of their white car (in the GT40 enthusiasts club section NEC car show thread). They are as close to original as you can get. They are however race cars just like the original - a bit much for the road but just about possible with very hard suspension and a rev happy motor. Cost - about £230,000. I wish.....
Cheers
Mike

Gelscoe Motorsport

too cool..:pepper:

Chris Duncan

Supporter
What is the best kit and why?

can be very subjective, tell us specifically what you're looking for.
Is money no object?
Or are you looking for the best bang for the buck?
How long do you want to wait for delivery?
How much of the work do you want to do yourself?
Or do you want turnkey?

Also, if the space frame is lighter and stronger why is it not the most popuar?:pepper:
The space frame is sometimes lighter but it's not usually stronger (torsional rigidity). The monocoque is correct to duplicate the construction of the original car.

Nep Steve,I only know Goran can make only 40 cars every year so the waiting list is quite long cause all the people have visited the small garage in Stromstad fall in love with Goran's work and his great passion.

Really dunno if he sent any kit in the States,also cause there are already too many great products available on that market.

I still didint visit his garage in person,but have friends already fallen in love with him (typical swedish nordic precision and passion..u know;),and according from friends report all Gox production is much more something "friendly" done by a great technician and carnut.
Try maybe ask directly Goran,he is a wonderful guy!

P.S. I dont dare to think at what can happen if that my friend will be still living in Kidderminster, 2 kmts from Tornado factory.Probably Andy should call police to take me away immediately:D

Too nice illness for me.

Back