Best Looking non-GT40

G

Since the thread trying to get GT40 Constructors to test their cars was getting a bit off track, I thought a new topic was in order. I will start with my vote for the McLaren F1

mclaren-f1_yellow.jpg

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

G

Steve, I saw this car also at a vintage race at Virginia International Raceway or VIR as we call it in the mid-Atlantic area. It was a very good looking mid-engine car. I have been in love with mid-engine sports cars since the mid-sixties. There are very few others that catch my eye. Looking forward to the pictures of the Jag!

65-66 Mustang fastback, Cobra Daytona, Shelby Cobra, 36 Ford,39-40 Ford, 48 Ford Pick up, 41 Willis, Ferrari GTO (1964 and 1984 models), P-4 Ferrari,Ferrairi Testarosa (1962), other Ferraris (too many to list, new and old NOT the Enzo!), 96 Porsche, 928 Porsche, 962 Porsche, D-Jag, E-Jag,Indy Roadsters (62-64), Chaperal (sp), McClearn (sp?)
A start. Have all the models!

Jaguar built quite a few XJ220's to homologate them...

They were all sold with deposits before they started construction for (if I remember correctly) about £650,000

I saw one a couple of days ago with 1,500 miles on the clock for £120,000

Not bad for the money!...

Although they apparently are not that nice to drive! (I guess that comment was made by people who have the pleasure of driving F40's, Maclaren F1's, Bugatti EB's etc etc - its all relative!)

for my contribution to this dreamers debate... what about the Lamborghini Diablo... now thats a pretty car....

Neil

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

Bugatti Veyron, the facts:

18W engine, 7.993 cm³, 4 turbos,
2 intercooler
1.001 CV (736 KW) at 6.000 rpm
1.250 Nm between 2.200 y 5.500 rpm.
ah!...406 Km/h.

veyronmotor.jpg

G

I guess I'm a bit retro... I still think some of the most beautiful cars came from the GT40 era or just after. e.g. Lola Aston Martin, Jaguar XJ13, Alfa Romeo T33, Ferrari P4 & Dino 206P, Chevron B16, and does anyone remember the Alfa Romeo Carabo show car? If I had to pick a more modern car it would be the Diablo or the F40.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The original Ferrari Boxer Berlinetta, Ithink it was called the 365GTB4/BB. Pictures do not do it justice, you have to see one to realize how beautiful it is.

My vote, without a doubt, goes to the McClaren F1. The GT40 styling queues are just too numerous to ignore
grin.gif

A close second would have to go to the Lamborgini Miura, and how about the Lotus Elise... Oops, there are two more cars with GT40 styling queues
grin.gif

And for something totally different, The original 1960s Brabham F1 race car. Now thats when race cars were REAL race cars. Oh dear I've done it again, the GT40 technology was based on the F1 cars of that era
grin.gif
grin.gif

Incidentally, the "220" in XJ220 indicated the intended 220mph top speed of the car. I have seen the video of the official attempt to get there. It never quite made it (218 mph I think) but it was declared a success. I think a young Martin Brundle was the driver ???

Back