Bond Alum. to fiberglass

Howard Jones

Supporter
What is the best way to bond Alum sheet to fiberglass. I'm looking for a adhesive, something like silkiflex (sp). I want to bond and rivet 1/8 " thick endplate adapters to the ends of my wing and then tap and thread the adapter to attach the endplates with screws, thus making the endplates removable.

The final product should be pretty strong. So the best adhestive I can find would be what I am looking for.

Ideas?

I've used West systems epoxy in some areas of my car to bond aluminum sheet to fiberglass, but nothing that would potentially have that kind of force on it.

The places where I have used it seem very strong, but I don't know the ultimate strength. Maybe West or some other epoxy manufacturer would have some data?

Howard,
Have a look at Plexus adhesives MA300. I've used this extensively and it works very well. No too expensive and is available in small sized self-measuring tubes.

I have also used Plexus products to permanently bond fiberglass Radar towers to aluminum sub structures on motoryachts as well as hull to deck joints on 150MPH race boats. No failures.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Howard,

Have you thought about fiberglassing fiberglass end caps in place, but building up the backside with fiberglass mat, tapping, helicoils, before bonding in place? This would then allow you to attach the end plates. This is a very robust way to attach pieces to fiberglass. I've used it to attach body panels to the frame, and panels to fiberglass brackets.

Back