Brett's RS GTD

Long time no post (again)

Well the engine is back from Frank (thank you) and it has started to go back in.

That meant getting the exhaust system out of the top of the garage
36738134454_51d5825a5a_z.jpg

and invariably, one pipe deciding that it wouldn't want to come out...
37416607412_ff5eacc61b_z.jpg

but finally, the engine is starting to go back together :)
36738136954_05366dc0ac_z.jpg

it also gave me the chance to make the filler piece to seal of the top of the bulkhead
36738141094_3d8619d80e_z.jpg

and start to think about doing IVA jobs like safety wiring some bolts
36738138004_ea4c09c45d_z.jpg

As with everything, I'll keep plugging away, but it's getting harder with the kids and also now that I am racing for an OCR team in my spare time as well...

Slow and steady wins the race, the ones that take the longest are always the best ;) in my opinion reaching the IVA test is a massive point to get to, looks like that goal is in site.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looking good Brett! I love it when they're going together for the "last" time...

OK so another slow update, that damn work and life gets in the way...

Been fitting the dash to the actual chassis (no pics yet), but also did a few more tidy jobs in terms of just trying to get things together and one day being able to start the engine that is the bane of my life and probably more responsible for anything for not really ever working on the car. Some may remember in my build I made decisions along the way, some good, some bad; well one of those has come back to provide yet another challenge.

I decided to go electric water pump only and therefor do away with the water pump pulley. However, on fitting last ngiht, I seem to have an interefernce issue

38620550076_c5a89d603c_z.jpg

The alternator is using a bracket like this: March Performance Alternator Brackets 30351 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Thanks in advance

Brett

Seems fine to me Nick but don’t forget it’s only run for an hourish... also it’s got an M10 stud bar thought the other alternator mount into the head, I can’t see it going anywhere?

Paul,

I fitted one of them but it is not very substantial and the alternator did "vibrate" around a lot. Kenny Coleman at EDA was not impressed, was yours OK.

Hope the M10 stud bar has a non metric thread on it, no factory metric threads on any SBF.:)

Alternator vibration can be traced to out of round pulleys, crank vibration etc, that crank pulley on bretts looks like its spent some floor time.

Quite often those ebay type chrome kits are made of thinner section steel etc and fail in short order, just another one of those times sticking with the OE stuff is better.

Last edited:
Jac, yes it's the original pulley, though it was balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly (not checked for roundness though

As for the interference issue, wouldn't the other bracket also present the same problem?

Here's v2 at back street garage engineering trying to fix it, any thoughts, or bar that any other suggestions please? My own stupid fault for trying something different all these years ago I guess

27030415269_73ab5ef56e_c.jpg

38775551002_9a79b8bb0c_c.jpg

Jac, yes it's the original pulley, though it was balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly (not checked for roundness thoughThose thoughts while possibly relevant to your car were directed at the posts by others

As for the interference issue, wouldn't the other bracket also present the same problem?No, going by your pic the OE adjustment strap is smaller & could be trimmed further if reqd

Here's v2 at back street garage engineering trying to fix it, any thoughts, or bar that any other suggestions please? My own stupid fault for trying something different all these years ago I guess

27030415269_73ab5ef56e_c.jpg

38775551002_9a79b8bb0c_c.jpg

Don't particularly like those rose joint type adjusters, they add no stiffness to the whole alternator mounting setup, introduce two more possible failure points at threads, also seem to remember Bill Mussara And or Chris K having a lot of issues with chrome alt pulleys/belt slip as well.

Last edited:
Jac, I am thinking to change the pulley. It is 2.6", but it seems you can get pulleys that are 4". I appreciate this may underdrive it, but 'apparently' when I bought this many moons ago, it is 100A. Even if I go for a larger pulley there shouls still be enough in the alternator for the car (especially if I swap out bulbs later for LEDS).

So looking for a larger pulley now to see what different that makes.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Also configured my car to use electric water pump.
I fabricated my own brackets and put the adjuster on the bottom...
Alternator

Hi Brett,

One other thought which may incur the wrath of the real engineers, have you got air-con fitted? If so I had a similar issue and changed from 2 belts to one belt around everything. I think that may work in your case (provided you have an aircon pulley).

I intend carrying my spare belts so if the single belt fails I can at least get home with electrical power, albeit probably hot as no air-con.

Back