Chevron B16 Replica

Looks great, are you going with the original chevron spherical bearings on the front and rear uprights or are you going with something else?

Just the latest purchase a 10X18 Lathe. I looked for a used one and always came up too late or it was too much. Still need a press but I can get by for now. Sorry no pic.
Dave

Last edited:
Gent's,
Just an update, Lathe up and mounted and run in. My quick change AXA tool post, adapters and carbide cutter's arrived today and going to have Gene the tooly mill the base for the tool post to fit my cross slide on the lathe. Thing's will go quickly from now on. I won't have to wait for bushings. I will post some pics when I have something substancial.
Dave

Update,
Laid out the bolt on front section and tacked it together. Lower front control arm mounting points done. Bungs welded in place for the front clip pins. I put the original turret back on the lathe and started cutting and turning. I am going to work front to back and back to front ,doing sub assemblies, then lining up adding each section. Should save alot of time and be easier to weld.
Dave

Gent's,
A few pics of what I have so far. The front bolt on section is almost complete. Steering rack braces and two upper tubes to connect to the firewall and a few tabs for rad and torsion bar. I won't add the tubes until I complete the firewall section. I will use that as a jig to drill to add tabs and line everything up. This section bolts on to the main chassis.
dave

Attachments

• IMGP0426.JPG
    IMGP0426.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 696
  • IMGP0427.JPG
    IMGP0427.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Lookin Good, I will have a drawing or two for you soon, I currently have a brake pedal I am measuring up, hope this will help

Darren,
I just did a weld check. You will notice I have a yellow handled brass 20 oz. hammer lying around I use to check my welds with. The lastest braces did not pass. I will fix it up tomorrow. I left a little room to play with on the tabs. I will trim off the bad ends and crank up the heat on the next welds. Pedal drawings will help. We will have to discuss the bearing carriers and bearings for the control arms now that I have a lathe.
Dave

I have just recived my rear - front lower control arms back and the upper radius rods. The twit that was plating them for me (heat treated nickel) chrome plated them, 3 months work and 8' of chome moly down the toilet. It must be said were I live cr-mo cant be easily sourced, which adds to the pain.
The net result is I am about to do another production run on the bearing cups and bushes.
I have a list of all the buses for the 16 if you need and drawings if you prefer.
here are a couple of pics of what got stuffed up

P6200120.jpg

P6200119.jpg

Darren,
They look good. I have some chrome molly but I am going to use steel instead. My rear lower control arms are a A-Type. They use an oil lite bushing and a rod with a long clevis on one end through the lower and clevis with rod end on the top. I have a hard time getting chrome molly so the bearing carriers for the front upper and lower should be easy in steel. It's just selecting the right bearings and rod ends.
Dave

Just an update. I made a few changes to the way the mounting tabs are installed. I was not happy with the fit. I made the tabs a bit longer so I did not have to grind material away to make it fit. Also brought the lower control arm bushing out to make up for the difference. This shoud make it stronger and easier to fit. Should progress a little quicker once this is done.
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF1032 (Small).jpg
    DSCF1032 (Small).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 640
Gent's,
Did a test fit of the cockpit section on what I have done so far. It's a snug fit but I'm happy so far. Welds are good with minimum distortion I'm going to start moving back, rear firewall ,roll hoop recievers, trailing link tabs bushings etc.
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF1002 (Small).jpg
    DSCF1002 (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 716
Hi David,

Everything looks like it's coming together nicely, if you have some free time I would like to see your progress. Vise-versa, come over for a look anytime.

Chris
Newcastle

No Problem Chris, I'm just off Thorton North of Rossland. PM me and we can set a time and date. I will have more done too. I'm trying to get as much welding done while the weather is still good.
Dave

A few more pics. I'll post a few more as the back end progresses.
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF1003 (Small) (Small).jpg
    DSCF1003 (Small) (Small).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 634
  • DSCF1004 (Small).jpg
    DSCF1004 (Small).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCF1005 (Small).jpg
    DSCF1005 (Small).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 541
Finally after about 12 hours work I have the rear shock tower and suspension pick ups done. My original drawings are set up for the Chevron upright. I had to use my brain place all the points and extend the lenght of the towers by one inch for the Lola upright I'm using with the Granada hub. I will probaly have to mount the trailing link upper bracket up also. I will have this (Tower) in place with main supports by the weekend. I will consult with some of the site experts and we'll go frome there.
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF1007 (Small).jpg
    DSCF1007 (Small).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 629
Back