Chuck and Ryan's Carbon Cub Build Blog

Chuck

Supporter
Putting on the hours.

Based on the number of bugs attached to the leading surfaces, I have flow way more than forty hours. Based on the log, I have another twenty hours to go.

I need to have logged forty hours before the FAA will let me take up passengers.

I am learning much on these initial flights. Like careful leaning reduced the fuel consumption from 6 to 5 gallons per hour, cruising at 90 mph, 2000 RPM, 3500 feet.

Climbing out at Vy (71 mph) pins the rate of climb scale at 2000 feet per minute. All you see is blue sky and clouds. One is at pattern altitude long before reaching the end of the runway. Amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_8579.jpg
    IMG_8579.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 404

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great performance!
Curious what sort of EGTs you're seeing?
Burning 100LL?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That's a reasonable temp ... I start to worry at 1200... :worried:

A good friend (now deceased unfortunately) spent 40 years as a Petrochemical Engineer for a major refinery that produced automotive as well as aviation fuels. Per my recollection, he maintained that 100LL had something on the order of 5 to 15 times the lead content of the current leaded high octane automotive fuels. I did really well in mixing fuels by using 20% 100LL to 80% 92 Unleaded for use in race cars with 12.5-13.5:1 compression ratios..

Anymore it is too difficult to buy and carry 100LL off the field.. :cry:

Chuck

Supporter
Randy

Mixing the 100LL with pump fuel is probably a good idea. Not sure that lead content is good for current engines.

But one of the main reasons I like the 100 LL is the absence of ethanol. Long shelf life.

+1 on the 100 octane! Keep going with less pump gas until your plugs get lead fouled (if at all) and remember to lean on the ground to keep em clean

Chuck

Supporter
Scott

Lean on the ground - good advice!

Guess I should clarify: the Cub gets only 100LL. The GT gets 100LL too, but I will probably go back to mixing pump gas with it.

Although I was not really a fan of a glass panel, I am changing my tune. The amount of information is amazing. The ability to monitor engine parameters and properly lean, monitor CHT and EGT temps for each cylinder, is nice. The first time I played with the 'Lean Assist' feature this past weekend the fuel consumption decreased around 20%. With some finer tuning, may be able to improve on that even more.

I am learning that I have a lot to learn.

Chuck

Supporter
Cubcrafter’s EX2

On the worst weather day of the year in mid-February, a Carbon Cub EX2 kit was delivered to the airport where my hanger is located. How bad you ask? Due to ice, wind and snow, KMWA was shut down to air traffic about the time the truck pulled up. But we were able to get the 18 foot long, 1600-pound box unloaded in a large hanger where it sat for a week before the ice and snow had cleared enough to move it to my hanger.

IMG_9992.jpg

Once in the hanger the box was opened, parts removed, and box torn down. Parts needed to build the wings were moved to my home shop where construction has now begun.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

I will post occasional updates here, but much more detail can be found at the Cubcrafter’s forum.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...yan-s-Build-Tips?p=26732&viewfull=1#post26732

Chuck

Supporter
April 11, 2021 Progress Report

The Carbon Cub EX2 is coming along nicely. Substantial work has been completed on the wings. I would be very pleased if the wing frames were completed by the end of the month.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Once the wing frames are completed they will go on a storage rack and work on the fuselage begins. Fun stuff.

Many more details over at the Cubcrafters forum.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...yan-s-Build-Tips?p=26732&viewfull=1#post26732

Ron Earp

Admin
Awesome! Nice to see you guys back at it. Do you have an EAA log?

I'm considering building a plane as well. Been studying, looking at lots of sites and blogs, Youtube, etc. and I want to meet some builders.

Thus far I've been interested in the Rans S-21, a Cub, with some minor interest in the Zenith Super Duty. With your wing progress so far, how many hours do you have on those?

Ron

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Love the progress Chuck.
Once upon a time I had considered building a Vari-EZ (Rutan) and came this close ][ to purchasing an already started Long-EZ kit.
My wife and I had a talk. You can figure it out from there..
Still watching and living vicariously through your builds and adventures!

Chuck

Supporter
Awesome! Nice to see you guys back at it. Do you have an EAA log?

I'm considering building a plane as well. Been studying, looking at lots of sites and blogs, Youtube, etc. and I want to meet some builders.

Thus far I've been interested in the Rans S-21, a Cub, with some minor interest in the Zenith Super Duty. With your wing progress so far, how many hours do you have on those?

Ron

I am keeping a build log, but not with EAA.

Rans makes a nice kit. Regarding a Cub, the Javron is an excellent option. True to the original. Check out Bill Rusk build blog over at Supercub.org. I would say do it, don't wait. Obviously I really enjoy the build process - and building an airplane does not typically require designing and re engineering stuff.

I have 195 hours in the two wings - ironically took me longer this time than last.

Chuck

Supporter
Love the progress Chuck.
Once upon a time I had considered building a Vari-EZ (Rutan) and came this close ][ to purchasing an already started Long-EZ kit.
My wife and I had a talk. You can figure it out from there..
Still watching and living vicariously through your builds and adventures!

A good friend is building a Long EZ. Has been under construction for twenty years. He is doing an exceptional job. But that is a real time consuming project with its composite construction.

Are you settled in Texas yet? Looking at spending some time at the Fredricksburg, Texas, airport later this year for some more flight training. That is an awesome facility; made to look like a WWII aerodrome. Worth a visit if you are in the area.

Back