Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You know, Chuck, when I was living in Carbondale in the 70s and 80s, they didn't have indoor plumbing. I had the idea that things had moved along a bit since then.

Evidently not..... nice video, by the way. Do I have to do this, too? I guess so.

Chuck , Ryan

Fantastic job, now you have set another bar to step over again

This HD Go pro cameras seem to work pretty good, plan to buy one by myself also.
What software did you use for cutting ?

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
You know, Chuck, when I was living in Carbondale in the 70s and 80s, they didn't have indoor plumbing. I had the idea that things had moved along a bit since then.

Evidently not..... nice video, by the way. Do I have to do this, too? I guess so.

Yup. Your GT is not done until you post a video.

If you want an out house scene, you know where to come.

Chuck

Supporter
Chuck , Ryan

Fantastic job, now you have set another bar to step over again

This HD Go pro cameras seem to work pretty good, plan to buy one by myself also.
What software did you use for cutting ?

TOM

Ryan used Adobe Priemer Elements for editing.

The camera works great. In fact, that video is high definition should you bring it up on a wide screen TV.

Only criticism of the camera is it is a fixed wide angle lens. In those following scenes the cars were literally about ten feet apart. That can be pretty scary going 120 mph.

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks for the comments. Ryan spent many hours filming and editing for four minutes of video. What is cool is that with all the driving, shutting the car off, starting it up, driving it in 90 plus heat, etc., it never missed a beat.

Chuck and Ryan,

This is how I discovered this amazing build thread and the great video. I'm in the market for a GT 40, joined this site to lurk for hours on end. Came across the topic "Current state of GT 40 market" and read every post. I was impressed by Cliff Beer, and noticed through out all the posts, a referance to your build thread as a GT 40 well documented and sorted out. Great build thread, super bonding between Dad and Son, and Ryan, nice pro looking video. LaLa land as a job waiting for you, make some more movies.

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks for the kind words. It has been a great ride. Considering another: Jag XJ13. Just picked up a couple of old V12s . . . . . gotta have a project.

Chuck

Supporter
Apparently there's hope for people like us willing to dig in mechanically:

Alan:

You have a real nack for finding stuff on the internet.

The lens in the video camera is not a fisheye. I would compare it to a 35 mm rather than the standard 50mm used on the 35 mm SLR cameras we used back in the old days before digital Wide angle, but still distortion free. Not enough of an issue for us to divert energy from car building / driving time.

By the way, you have a great avatar.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
You have a real nack for finding stuff on the internet.....By the way, you have a great avatar.

I'm motivated; right now I'm edging into 3D, and my next acquisition step will be pair of GoPros in their 3D box. GoPro Launches 3D HERO® System; World

If only I had your skill with a camera.... IAE I hope to make some immersive in-car videos that way including surround sound. But yes, I need to finish the car first.

I stole the avatar fair and square: Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum » The Spirit of Competition – The story behind the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum. The book is absolutely gorgeous. It's a great present to give yourself.

I´m in Hong kong right now and goingto buy one of this cameras tomorrow.

Chuck did you use the incorporated mic or an external one. The newest version is supposed to have a wireless transmitter for a stereo mic. Any idea which one would fit?

THanks
TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Camera came with integrated mic. Includes two back plates on the case. One for speeds below 100 mph and the second waterproof case above. It was the 1080 hi def but is other wise pretty basic. The integrated mic actually works pretty good and minimizes wind noise. The ability to use an external mic would be a nice feature for some shots

Chuck

Supporter
AC Report

Sunday, July 10 was hot in Southern Illinois. Heat advisories were issued. By 4:00 pm the true temperature was 100 degrees. The heat index was well north of that. Now what can one do when the temperature is so miserably hot? Well, of course, go for a ride in a GT40.

I had yet to take the GT out in such intense heat. Sure, we have done several nice rides when it was around 90, but never when it was 100.

Now in complete fairness, we started out with a car that was parked in an air conditioned garage. A nice 75 degrees. Indeed after starting it up and backing outside the windshield fogged over – on the outside – due to the 25 degree temperature differential. But it cleared up nicely after only a few minutes in the blistering heat.

We could have just gone around the block and reported all was well, but that would hardly be fair. No, the goal was to get the fluids up to operating temperature, both coolant and oil; a weekly chore. That means a nice twenty mile ride, with a stop for fuel along the way.

Candor requires that the time of day be noted. It was 7:00 pm, about an hour and a half before sunset. The sun was low on the horizon. Had it been directly overhead the sun load may have been a bit more than the AC could have handled.

There was condensation on the AC vents, and the occasional drip of condensation from the outside of the unit mounted under the dash. Not something that would be considered an issue in this sort of conveyance, and a reminder that the system was working as intended.

But as it was, the AC had no trouble keeping up with the heat. It was a perfectly comfortable ride. The three speed fan was in the ‘medium’ position for the duration. Nice information for any one wondering about how well the AC performs on a rather sparsely insulated GT40 late on a hot day.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I had a ride in mine, too- about four blocks, from the paint shop to the trim shop. No AC, sad to say, and baking inside. I think mine is more of a nighttime or cooler weather car. Although, to be fair, a few weeks ago, in hot weather in Annapolis traffic, it didn't overheat. But today it was 95 or something like that, and I think maybe it would have, if I had pushed it. Glad yours is so well-behaved. You deserve it, beyond any doubt.

Chuck

Supporter
Headlights

The RCR GT40 uses Neolite brand headlights. We were never very impressed with their illumination, but we don’t drive after dark that often and the separate halogen driving lights work well, so it was not really an issue of concern. But a burned out headlight would provide an opportunity to look a bit deeper into options.

The stock light is an incandescent Jagan R2 bulb rated at a whopping 45 watts. It looks like a ping pong ball. A bit of online research revealed that an exact replacement is hard to find. They are out there, but you won’t find one at your local Autozone, Jegs, or Summit.

Fortunately there are halogen bulbs that are exact replacements. We ordered four from Interlight.biz. https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/O-64198. Specify model O-64198. It has a P45T base. It cost only $7.00. (We ordered four so we would have spares, one of which proved defective.) There are similar bulbs available in different wattage ratings. We opted for 55 watt rather than the higher wattage because halogen lights run hot and we did not know if the light housing was really designed for a lot more heat than the stock incandescent lights generated.

Replacement is straightforward. Note that there is a tiny detent on the bulb base that lines up with a notch on the housing.

When we wired the car separate relays were added for the high and low beam circuits, so there should be no issues regarding the current draw of any replacement bulbs.

The halogen bulbs are a big improvement. The light is much more white. The beam is more sharply defined and brighter.

Attachments

• Headlights2.JPG
    Headlights2.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Headlights1.JPG
    Headlights1.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Back