Clever People please help

I have what I think is probably a simple problem that I thought some of you smart folks here might be able to help me with. I recently bought some standard weight plates for my home gym however the centre hole for these plates where the bar goes in is just a little bit too small. The hole is supposed to be 28mm but my new plates are probably closer to 27mm. I have tried filing the plates out with a hand file but as the plates are anywhere up to an inch thick of solid metal, even to make a mm here or there difference takes bloody ages. What I am after is a mechanical solution where some sort of machine can be used to either drill or file out the holes that little bit extra so that they slide easily onto the bar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jack

Beg Borrow or steal a large tapered reamer from a machine shop along with a large tap wrench to turn it. Sounds like its part of the exercise program:)

Jac Mac

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'd start out by filing a slight bevel on one side of the weight plate, then get a 1-1/8" bi-metal hole saw and use a drill press. Lubricate the hole saw with a light oil as you re-cut the hole..
Those plates are normally iron and not steel. Iron cuts like butter. Either material can be cut in this manner..

Hi Gregg

this is an interesting way of looking at the problem. However the problem for me to do this is that it when i use my other weights which all fit ok they might start to roll around loosely on the bar as I complete the lifts. What I am hoping for is that the weight plates can be drilled out just enough so that they will fit snuggly on the bar and not be too loose. That way when i attach the collars to the end to hold them on, the plates sit firmly still on the bar throughout the lift. With this in mind do you have any ideas?

Cheers

Jack

Hi Guys

Once again the team of people here at GT40's.com have stepped up to help a battler like myself out. I will print out these ideas and see what I can do about sourceing the tools.

Bloody marvellous.

Thanks

Jack

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Jack, I was afraid you would say that. Only other idea I have other than the ones mentioned is a drum sander as close to 27mm as possible with coarse sandpaper affixed. Throw it in your drill and have at it.

Ron Earp

Admin
If the difference is only 0.5mm or so then I bet you can heat them up to put them on and off. How's that? Might have to heat them up to a few hundred degrees, but you know, not everything is easy! :)

Besides, if you heat them up once and put them on you can just keep that weight on permanently. It'll help your exercise program and build big muscles!

Jack
If you have access to an air or electric grinder with a 1/4" shaft (6mm) you can open those holes with a carbide burr...cuts cast like butter. Use a fine tooth as they really can cut.
Cheers
Phil

Jack
If you have access to an air or electric grinder with a 1/4" shaft (6mm) you can open those holes with a carbide burr...cuts cast like butter. Use a fine tooth as they really can cut.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Pat

it is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. They were pretty cheap so I can't complain too much. Plus they were sent in the mail so I don't really want to re-pack and re-send them back. Thankfully I have some pretty good suggestion so far that I can try. If worst does come to worse I can just file them out. Although as mentioned at the top, this is bloody hard work.

Thanks to everyone who has offered up their ideas for me. It si greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jack

Jack

Use your head mate.
Buy several files, give one to each member of your family and tell them to get into it.
Explaining that this is part of the new exercise program and it will add upper body strength.
Add a little marshal art to it by calling them grasshopper it works every time

Signed

Oby one Kenobi
My friends call me Ben

Get friendly with someone in a machine shop with access to a large lathe, get him to fit the largest plate in his 3 jaw chuck and bore the center hole to your 'new' 28 mm dia ( take the bar with you if possible), then without changing the toolpost setting, bore the remaining plates one after the other, this will ensure the holes are true & the plates will stack tight on the bar.

Jac Mac

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I would say waterjet, it would be the most accurate but the high speed grinder with a carbide bur is the way to go and the cheapest. I have a waterjet so bring it on over and I will do it for nothing. :)

Are you sure that filing material away isn't just a crafty way of reducing the weight so that they are easier to lift!!

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Jack,

An abrasive grit paddle wheel may do the job. On the production line here at Genie, an occasional hole in a chassis arrives undersized. This little tool works like a charm.

Good luck!

T.

Back