Converting a GT40 into a Dino 206SP

Re: German GT40 interpretation

Its not often I've said this but Pinn's design was not his best work IMO. The greenhouse is too tall and the proportions are all wrong.....again IMO. Drogo got it spot on and I believe I'm correct in stating that he also designed the 330 P4? I also love the inboard brakes.

Will you also design inboards with your design Axel?

You are reading my mind Jimmy,
there are old Audi 100 C1 gearboxes around with inboard brakes, built in 1970-1974, before they switched to outboard brakes.
There is a guy selling a refurbished one for about 600$ including new brakes, he is also including an Audi 1900cc 4cyl engine with 115 hp, but the engine is useless for me. I wonder if the tranny will be strong enough for about 200 horses...yes, I think about installing inboard brakes!

Yes, the 330 P4 was naother masterpiece by Drogo, he also did the famous 250 GT SWB 'Breadvan', he died too early 1973 in a car accident...

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 310
  • mNNrs2Los7UP3rxN1EHBh-A.jpg
    mNNrs2Los7UP3rxN1EHBh-A.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 271
  • xl_img8461405295726979502.jpg
    xl_img8461405295726979502.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Btw...

I am hacksawing a GT40...so many thanks for your very kind words and that you still want me to stay here and continue posting my progress.
I think we are all car enthusiasts and it does not matter if it is a Ford, a Ferrari, a Lola or whatever, the important issue is we are all trying to make a dream come true to have an iconic racecar related with the history of the famous racedays in the 50ies, 60ies or 70ies... even if it is 'only' a reproduction based on limited budget or limited time or bad tools ;-) we are all giving our best!

Post 93 I think is this car It was built down the road from me.
He used an original engine and a UN1 trans.

If its not it looks like it,I have other pics but cant post them.

Also fiat do a saloon with a very similar v6, you could buy the hole car, pull the motor and push the rest of the cliff.
Same family it would be a more original choice

Cant get the link to work but goggle fiat v6 engines.
This engine is a Ferrari design from memory.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

Post 93 I think is this car It was built down the road from me.
He used an original engine and a UN1 trans.

If its not it looks like it,I have other pics but cant post them.

Also fiat do a saloon with a very similar v6, you could buy the hole car, pull the motor and push the rest of the cliff.
Same family it would be a more original choice

Great!! Thanks Jim! I have never seen the real thing, just fotos, even if yours in Sydney is a repro, it does look excellent and it gives you a perfect impression of the real thing!!
Yes, there is a Fiat Dino with a Ferrari 2400 V6 around, a spyder and a coupe, but they are also quite pricy, and a single engine you won't find... :-(

I have met the man who built the car I posted.
He said the Ferrari eng cost him 25k OZ with a freshen up, most expensive item on the project.
What do you call expensive Axel, I don't know what they are worth (fiat eng).

If you want reference photos I would be happy to email to you, I don't want to post his work up all over the net.

Jim

Wow, these Fiat coupés or Spyders are very nice vintage cars :heart:! This would be a crime to scrap one...:shocked2: A tired Fiat coupé with Dino Ferrari 2,4L V6 (180HP) worths around €20-25K, here in France. Could be cheaper in Italy, maybe.
Same engine as the one you would find in the Ferrari Dino 246 GT...

Engines alone are findable, with a little patience and search (check italian websites, or italian vintage car magazines, Ferrari specialized parts dealers and so on).
I've seen one for sale last year in France, advertised at €12K, running but needing refreshening ... This engine, mated to a UN1 gearbox with an adaptator, could add a fantastic value to your project (not to talk about the added fun, when behind the Wheel) !

Axel, come on with this very interesting build, keep us updated...! I'm quite a rookie here, but it seems to me that your project is at the right place on this forum, between many others non-GT40 replica build logs : Mc Laren, Lola, and even a carbon fiber Piper Cub plane !:thumbsup:

Yes, it will add a big value to my car, but an engine between 10-20k will never be accepted by the government at home ;-)
My wive gave birth to our first baby three months ago, my son Benny, so my project already is a dangerous issue here ;-)
Anyway, it does not need to have the best engine from beginning on, I always can improve, and when I have shifted enough money to my secret suisse bank account it might get the right engine one day... :laugh:

Hi Axel, That motor also came in the Fiat 130 saloon which I think is the car Jim was pushing off the cliff. There are a few here in NZ and if you paid $2k for the whole car you were robbed. Cheers Leon

Hi Axel, That motor also came in the Fiat 130 saloon which I think is the car Jim was pushing off the cliff. There are a few here in NZ and if you paid $2k for the whole car you were robbed. Cheers Leon

Ah, ok...but that engines had nothing to do with the dino engines, as far as I remember they were 2.9 and 3.2L V6 engines with 140 or 165hp. I think their engineer has onced worked at Ferrari, that is why some people think it is a Ferrari engine... Anyway, could also be an interesting option.

Axel
Sorry to keep bringing it up but info is worth plenty at the start of a project.
If you want to go the budget road Mazda 323 astina made a 2lt v6, 626 was a 2.5 and may hav been a 3lt in the 929, all are about the mid 90s and they are cheap.
It is a 4valve quad cam and has a similar look to the ferrari eng.
It is a compact engine I think it maybe a cast iron block though . the intake manifold would not difficult to make to put carbs on.
In the 323 and 626 the distributor is on the rear of the head so this lends well to your layout, the 929 3lt the dist is on the front from memory.

I think a ferrari engine would add value only if the 206 was a nut and bolt replica.
Yours will not be so if the fiat or ferrari eng is to expensive and this car is for fun then this would have to come into the budget .

I like what you are doing.

Jim

Attachments

• eng.jpg
    eng.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 236
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

No that is great Jim! No apologizes!
All information and help is very much appreciated in this early state.
Thank you very much! The Mazda engine indeed looks good!

I cut the hood today and finished the inner panels from the rollbar, cylindrical surfaces, easy to do. The outer panels are spherical, much more difficult...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

Can anybody tell me why the pics appear to be upside down? I work from my iPad...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

It apears OK to me. Jim is on the right tack, if its not a nut and bolt replica then the expense of a real engine is hard to justify. There are a lot of Jap twin cam V6s out there that are cheap and best of all LOW MAITENANCE un like anything Italian. and you can get lots of power for very little cost. I want to build a Lancia Stratos one day. they also used the V6 Dino but East/West. can you imagine what a twin turbo Mitzi GTO engine would go like in that. Food for thought and it fun going through all the different options. Cheers Leon

Some goodies I have found at a Classic Car Show last weekend, there was a great fleamarket!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 266
Back