Covid19 vaccine- report your progress

First shot was Sunday with Moderna. Slight aching arm for a day. I have to say, getting the shot feels like a weight lifted. I have been careful to wear my mask and socially distance (it is the least I can do for anyone I might come into contact with). But it does feel like light at the end of a dark tunnel. Very much looking forward to seeing friends in person and getting back to "normality".
 

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Wife, who’s is in NHS had her second Pfizer yesterday.
Muttering about a seriously sore arm and came home early with a thumping headache.

seems to be a different reaction for each person

Ian
 
I AM NOW HEARING ABOUT BREAKTHROUGH INFECTIONS .. THESE ARE PEOPLE GETTING COVID AFTER BEING FULLY VACCINATED..

ANY INPUT??
If a vaccine is say 90% effective it is expected that 90% will have no symptoms of covid 19 .The other 10% may have symptoms if exposed to covid 19.. Also you may have symptoms if there hasnt been enough time for your body to make antibodies.
I had polio in 1954.My father still had me vaccinated when the salk vaccine came out. Then a booster of sabin vaccine on a sugar cube. No one was sure how long natural anti bodies would last. I stilll remember the long lines to get those vaccines. No anti vaccinators back then. Polio is just about wiped out now. How did that happen I wonder? Vaccine maybe?
Ive also been vaccinated for many other diseases .Both by civilians and military. Im thankful for ALL of them.
This is the first disease that I can remember that getting vaccinated is treated by many as a POLITICAL statement. That makes absolutely no sense to me.
By the way we have lost a family member to covid. 53 yrs old and healthy.
 

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Read the comments at the bottom in the article that Walt posted above.

Regards Brian
Bottom line:

APPARENTLY our choices are; (1) Get the shots and have a 95% probability of NOT 'catching' the disease at all...OR, at worst, maybe finding out you're among the 5% who might catch it anyway, 'catch a very mild case of it somewhere down the line and fully recover, or, (2) Don't get the shots and face the very real possibility of catching full-blown C-19...'getting sick as a pig, being on a ventilator, suffering sever lung damage and croaking.

IMHO, logic dictates that at least those with underlying conditions - and seniors in general - would be far better off going with option #1. THEY are the ones who are the most at risk if they catch C-19.

It's a crap shoot...
 

Randy V

Admin
Lifetime Supporter
And so we have vaccines that are not 100% effective. As the article here and another I read said that the patients were not severely ill and full recovery was expected..
Don’t use this as any sort of leverage to prop up the anti-vaxer’s case... We will not achieve herd immunity unless we have a much higher vaccination rate (I believe I read 80+ percent)...
 

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
And so we have vaccines that are not 100% effective. As the article here and another I read said that the patients were not severely ill and full recovery was expected..
Don’t use this as any sort of leverage to prop up the anti-vaxer’s case... We will not achieve herd immunity unless we have a much higher vaccination rate (I believe I read 80+ percent)...
Yesterday it was reported that Israeli medical-types have discovered that the S. African mutation of C-19 isn't affected by the Pfizer vaccine. No mention was made regarding the other vaccines' efficacy against it one way or the other though as I recall.

It was mentioned that no "peer review" had been done on their work as yet...but, I'd bet the farm the Israelis work will be validated.

Great. ;-(
 
No vaccine is 100% effective. They were also created for a specific variant. This looks like it is also very effective against other variants, except the South African variant seems to be reducing the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine, presumably others too. The longer the virus circulates and the greater opportunity it ha to circulate, the more foothold variants can get to take hold. Also the longer a virus circulates the more variants can evolve. The bottom line is, get you vaccine. This is not just for you, it is for the loved ones around you too.
 
The report in question seems to raise more questions than it answers. It doesn't help that there are several versions in the media all with slightly differing descriptions. The most self-consistent seems to be in the Times of Israel (and the only one to quote the doctor directly in charge of the study).

The background appears to be; about half of Israel has been vaccinated (~5million people) with the vast majority using the Pfizer vaccine. The study chose 300 Israelis who had tested positive for Covid-19, where 150 had already received 2 Pfizer doses and 150 who hadn't been vaccinated. All had been swabbed and sequenced. The results showed 8 people who were vaccinated had the SA variant whereas only 1 person in the non-vaccinated group had the variant. This corresponds to about 5.3% and 0.07% of the groups respectively. It was estimated by the doctor that about 1% of the total covid cases in Israel were due to SA variant at the time this study was performed.

A key piece of information that is missing is; out of the 5 million or so people who have been vaccinated, how many have become infected? Clearly 8 people out of 5 million would be insignificant, so the total needs to been known to be able to put this into context. The second key piece of info that is not provided in the article is, how were the subjects chosen? With such a small sample size used in this study, the pool(s) from which they were chosen can greatly affect the outcome.
 
Had my first jab yesterday (Pfizer). Went to one of the Ottawa mass vaccination centres. Really well organized, I was in and vaccinated in less than 10 minutes. Only symptom was slight soreness at injection location.
 
Top