Coyote intake 180 turn

I know I saw a picture of a Coyote engine with the intake turned 180 degrees but I can't seem to find it. Can some one point me in the right direction? Anyone with experience doing this please chime in. Problems or issues I should know about? Thanks,
Hugh

I'm thinking of installing a coyote in my Pantera and could really use some info on what was involved in flipping the intake 180 degrees. Is it just a simple turn around or more complex? Anyone??

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Fantastic motor, I corresponded with Mr Hume who had the conversion done at the SPF factory, there was a considerable amount of fabrication to make it fit into a SPF and not worth it. Now as for a pantera thats a different cup of tea, to me the coyote engine is one of the best motors on the market today, know of a guy who stuffed one in a cobra and loves it, have another friend who has a new BOSS mustang and loves it.

Hugh, it is VERY simple and you will immediately see what needs to be done.

-There is a locating pin that needs to be ground off that helped locate the intake over the runners (not necessary if you very carefully line up the bolt holes and then snug one down so the intake doesn't shift.

-There is one/two fins on the rear of the intake (opposite the actual throttle body) that need to be clearanced.

-There is a portion of the rear passenger side of the intake that, when flipped, comes in contact with the coolant outlet casting on the top front of the motor. This is the most nerve-wracking one because you actually have to take down some of the thickness of the body of the intake- not just useless flash. This took me the most time and numerous test-fits. Remember too that the housing will grow when the engine is warm, and leave extra clearance.

I was worried about what the flip entailed, and I ended up finishing the work in a few hours even while being extremely careful to clean everything extensively between each test fit. I have NOT pulled apart the harness to move the throttle body plugs to the rear of the engine, which supposedly requires a wire extension to be soldered in. Physically, the operation is simple. I can post some pictures later tonight.

Having had a 2012 GT with the Coyote, I am pretty smitten with the motor. Compare it with prices for LS engines, and it is ridiculously cheap, durable, and modern plug and play stuff for kit cars.

Dylan,
Thank you very much for your response. Did you uses 180 degree headers? If so may I ask who made them? I know a few people have installed Coyotes in Panteras but I have not been able to make contact with any of them. Dennis Quella (owner of Pantera Performance in CO.) is still working on his first install so there are a lot of questions that he can't answer yet. Although I don't yet own a GT-40 I appreciate any advice or info concerning the Coyote install that you can share with me.
Hugh

I do not have the headers built yet- I plan to make my own set. For reference, Jason's RCR40 build has separate headers with an H-pipe, which supposedly makes more power. A good custom shop will be able to build you a set of headers if you give them the car and some time. Dennis Quella is going to have a lot more time into making fixturing, documenting the process, etc etc...

As far as the actual Coyote install- I modified my Tornado frame for the Coyote while it was a bare chassis, so it was very simple for me.

Attached are some rough pictures of the modifications from when I was fitting. I also forgot to mention that there's an ear on the rear driver's side of the intake that you'll have to grind off. It is previously used to clip the wiring harness to in the rear.

Attachments

• 20140403_163546.jpg
    20140403_163546.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 20140403_163539.jpg
    20140403_163539.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 419
  • 20140403_163530.jpg
    20140403_163530.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 399
Back