Current LMP replica – is it possible?

The design of the car is a semi mono carbon chassis with a nose and a tail, although there are a multitude of panels that make up those three main pieces. The roof is part of the chassis and there
Is somewhat of a crash structure bonded in there. The chassis, firewall, roof etc are one big single shell.
Are you attempting to get Lola to make a special shell that does not incorporate the chassis ? If so, it might be difficult. I was looking at a couple hundred thousand dollars to convert my spyder to a coupe with a special nose and I decided at the time that the best thing to do was wait until the cars were no longer current spec and pick one up then, in perhaps a few years. The value of a recently obsolete race caris much much less that the sum of the parts for a current race car. I know that the nose is about 50,000alone. If you want to talk to someone at Lola the contact would be Ben Bourdaire. Good luck !

Johan, I see what your saying. I found some good pictures of the Aston Martin LMP car stripped down that shows how the chassis is like an egg that everything connects to.

lola-chassis.jpg

I've also emailed Ben at Lola and explained that I would like to construct a B08/60 car using original parts if possible and if they are prepared to sell parts to me. That would be a good start, then it's a case of costing the project. As you say some parts will be too expensive such as the nose and the chassis itself but it's whether I can construct a replica chassis or find a suitable chassis such as an SL-C.

Otherwise play the waiting game and hope the prices come down. This won't be a quick project, the GT40 is my priority and this is something nice to dream about and I can aquire bits as and when.

Trev

+1 for an LMP SL-C.

slc-lola.jpg

Trev

I find I keep returning to this thread to check out the LMP SL-C as I think it looks pretty sharp.

The above image has the rear of the car stretched back. Can you get a similar look with the standard wheelbase of the SL-C, or is the longer length of the LMP style one of its distinguishing features?

If one were to alter an SL-C towrds an LMP style, it is one thing to make some changes to the body, and a bit more to lengthen the whole car, chassis and all. From the above picture, it looks like it has a longer front spliter, canards, roof/rear deck scoop, and a little longer tail in addition to the increase in the wheelbase.

Chris

Fran:

I am first trying to size up what would be involved. Then comes the "lack of skills" and then "lack of an SL-C". And as the consummate salesman, I can hear you alreay saying that you can help with the last part.

And if it does happen, you could count on a build log.

Chris

Keith

I find I keep returning to this thread to check out the LMP SL-C as I think it looks pretty sharp.

The above image has the rear of the car stretched back. Can you get a similar look with the standard wheelbase of the SL-C, or is the longer length of the LMP style one of its distinguishing features?

If one were to alter an SL-C towrds an LMP style, it is one thing to make some changes to the body, and a bit more to lengthen the whole car, chassis and all. From the above picture, it looks like it has a longer front spliter, canards, roof/rear deck scoop, and a little longer tail in addition to the increase in the wheelbase.

Chris

Copycat!

Attachments

• 20100817084842677.jpg
    20100817084842677.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 435
Chris,

you could always do like Rob Mesa and make the changes on your own car, and put up a build log for all to see

A little "creative" fiberglass work could make it happen. Rob has done a spectacular job with his SL-C. I'm going for a more "add-on" approach. The LMP style would have some ground clearance issues with a longer splitter on the street. You really need to see the SL-C "in the flesh".
Either way, the standard SL-C bodywork is fantastic as it is!

He already is working on the LeMans SL-C. Hang around for awhile, it's beautiful!

Welcome to the forum, enjoy!

One thing to consider looking at modern LMP cars is a good deal of the aero shape is internal, so retrofitting that type of body to a chassis without the internals to match will not give you the same results as the original.

For example from what I can tell the entire front end aero is now dominated by the desire to get the front diffuser 'breathing' so if you look at the Lola pictured above, the nose is really narrow to give room of the air to work coming off of the diffuser, now if the same external body is stuck on another chassis such as the SLC on its going to be very hard to replicate whats going on underneath with major surgery on the chassis.

Guys,

Currently on ebay there is 90's Nissan GTP bodywork for sale. This is stuff from the former Electromive Team. I suppose you could build it to LMP specs.
Dave

I had an email from RML last week about the Lola B08 they have for sale. They are looking for £350k

rml_lola_hpd_for_sale01.jpg

One day...

Back