Current State of GT40 Market

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Larry, I think you've missed one very important thing. A replica is something you can actually license, outfit as you wish and most impartantly DRIVE. Therefore you can enjoy as often as the mood hits you. Putting A/C in an original would be like that woman in Spain that boched the restoration of the fresco. If you wanted to own something just to own it, collect stamps, coins or velvet pictures of Elvis.
Unless you have seriously deep pockets to acquire and original coupled with Adrian Newey level resources for an accurate shunt repair, an original is a part of history and too few of the original cars can be realistically enjoyed on the track or open road. I suppose that's why some owners of originals clone their cars to a replica something that can be flogged on a racetrack or country lane. I have thousands of miles on my CAV and you just can't buy the kind of fun I've had with it. Is it pristine or dead nuts concours accurate? Of course not, but it's close enough to be one heluva drive and one I can repair with parts from the local NAPA store without fear of not having the "period correct" nut or tail light lens. Should I somehow inherit an original or consummate the significant financial transaction from my long lost Nigerian uncle to purchase an original, I'd simply never have the nerve to put it at risk on the road. But for now, the mad trips in the CAV up back roads and occasional track days are just fine with me. The reality for CAV mono #04 is that it doesn't really matter how much I can get for it, it's not for sale and therefore "priceless".

I believe you've just mirrored (in a far more scenic and articulate way) the somewhat fragmented, condensed, and inadequately penned 'cliffs notes' I made on the subject wherein I queried, "...or do you think his primary consideration is solely to own a car he can actually drive w/o having to sweat every little knick, scratch or dent?...IMHO (that is the reason)"!

IOW, I couldn't agree more with your 'take' on replicas, sir... :bow: :chug:

My view is a perfectly rendered clone would create darned near the same level of paranoia in its owner as any "genny" would when on the road or in a show...thereby negating the biggest benefit to owning a replica in the first place - next to its cost, of course.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Wait a minute.... does Rick know Ted Nugent or David Crosby? This could lead to civil war...

But anyway, Larry, what I can't figure out is how someone who so clearly gets the passion-fueling aspects of this hobby has not yet bought one. How can you stand it? You must have way better self-control than I do....

In a way I have bought (and sold) one already. I owned a Ford GT.

The biggest road block to 'pulling the trigger' on a '40 is the 15 months or so it'd take to see it in my driveway...the exact factor you yourself mentioned when jousting with Rick. ;)

In the meantime I'm sitting in a catch 22 situation...'sit here and do nothing, in which case I have no car NOR is one being built...or order the car and sit here for at least 15 months w/o possessing the car anyway!

My other concern these days is physically being able to get in and out of a '40 fifteen months from now...but, that's another story...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
LOL! You sure assumed a whole lot from that...and wrongly as it turns out!

(In legal parlance, that's what's referred to as assuming facts not in evidence!)

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...'sit here and do nothing, in which case I have no car NOR is one being built...or order the car and sit here for at least 15 months w/o possessing the car anyway! ...

Larry! I have a solution that would solve a problem for you, for me and for Michael.

Buy his.

That way he'll be able to fund his kids education, or his divorce, or his next fix, or whatever it is that has him tied up in knots about what his car is worth. Furthermore, then he can buy a Ford GT and move over to that forum and torture them about what the cars are worth.

You'll have a GT40 immediately.

With his anxiety gone, Michael will stop tormenting me and having sold his car will no longer be interested in posting to this thread.

Looks like a win-win-win to me!

However, whatever you do, don't offer him $70K. Not even as a joke.

Last edited:
As usual gents this is a stimulating read and would be a great read for anyone getting ready to dip their toe in the GT 40 market. In the end I think my friend Veek sums it up best. (see post 315) I bought my car to drive and enjoy. I knew going in I would never make a profit after owning or I knew my chances were slim especially after spending the money getting the car "sorted" and up to my specs. I've spent a large amount doing that and that's money no one will ever justify paying me. Each of us buys for differeing reasons. Some buy for profit, which IMO is always going to be difficult. I believe Alan stated if you looked at the money spent upgrading, maintaining, etc you really aren't making BIG money on these if any. Others just buy for the closest thrill we'll ever get to driving a real one.

Michael, there is no doubting your passion for your car and its brand. To most of us their is a certain level of "pricelessness" in our cars due to how they make us feel. I can't put a value on that but I can tell you my CAV makes me feel great when everything is running just right or when I see someone at a show who looks at me like I'm a God because I own a GT40 real or not. Vroom, Vroom!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You are a strange bird Alan. I've owned a Ford GT and I'm still on that forum and trust me, there is not a soul on there that is weighed down with the negativity that you posses. Those guys are happy and talk incessantly about how great their cars. You on the other hand are quite an unpleasant individual my friend. Stop dinking around and finish up your car. Maybe then you can experience just a sliver of the excitement and happiness most of us enjoy with our cars.

Larry! I have a solution that would solve a problem for you, for me and for Michael.

Buy his.

That way he'll be able to fund his kids education, or his divorce, or his next fix, or whatever it is that has him tied up in knots about what his car is worth. Furthermore, then he can buy a Ford GT and move over to that forum and torture them about what the cars are worth.

You'll have a GT40 immediately.

With his anxiety gone, Michael will stop tormenting me and having sold his car will no longer be interested in posting to this thread.

Looks like a win-win-win to me!

However, whatever you do, don't offer him $70K. Not even as a joke.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I believe Alan stated if you looked at the money spent upgrading, maintaining, etc you really aren't making BIG money on these if any. Others just buy for the closest thrill we'll ever get to driving a real one.

Michael, there is no doubting your passion for your car and its brand. To most of us their is a certain level of "pricelessness" in our cars due to how they make us feel. I can't put a value on that but I can tell you my CAV makes me feel great when everything is running just right or when I see someone at a show who looks at me like I'm a God because I own a GT40 real or not. Vroom, Vroom!

No one has ever stated that one should expect to recover the time and or upgrades that we invest into our cars. I chalk those up to quality time well spent in the garage doing what I like. The crux of my argument is in response to Mr Sunshine who offered up the two cars that sold at auction for $70k as the benchmark we should all expect our cars to be worth on the open market. That may be all he thinks his car will bring but I know better with mine. I'm still willing to offer Mr Sunshine $70k cash for his car complete provided he has not jiggered it up too much carrying out what he calls "R&D". I do share you view regarding the priceless nature we each feel about our cars not withstanding Mr Sunshine and his $70k bucket of bolts lol.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Food for thought since I've seen numerous mention of the words "invest" or "investment" in this thread and the others like it in the past...

in·vest·ment
/inˈves(t)mənt/
Noun
The action or process of investing money for profit or material result.
A thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.

Keith

I think Alan and Veek have a good take on it. I don't call Alan "negative" I would say rather that he's "realistic."

Lower your expectations and never be disappointed..

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Well, realistically I could step out of the house and get hit by a bus this afternoon. I don't plan on wasting a nanosecond thinking about it. There are few cars forums I've been on that posses the number of unhappy curmudgeons that one finds here. Seriously, get out of the house and away from your keyboards lol.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Food for thought since I've seen numerous mention of the words "invest" or "investment" in this thread and the others like it in the past...

in·vest·ment
/inˈves(t)mənt/
Noun
The action or process of investing money for profit or material result.
A thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.
How about you provide the correct terminology then? Give me the word that represents the time and money we spend on our cars. I'm not interested in Mr Sunshine's definition either as I suspect it will be something along the lines of "black hole" or "ball & chain".

Keith

Well, realistically I could step out of the house and get hit by a bus this afternoon. I don't plan on wasting a nanosecond thinking about it. There are few cars forums I've been on that posses the number of unhappy curmudgeons that one finds here. Seriously, get out of the house and away from your keyboards lol.

Send me a pair of lungs or better still the money ($70,000 should just cover it :)) and I'll do it!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Haha I hear P2160 could be had for that maybe even less! I've already offered $70k so you will have to up your offer to at least $71k if you expect to get into a bidding war with me! lol

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
How about you provide the correct terminology then? Give me the word that represents the time and money we spend on our cars. I'm not interested in Mr Sunshine's definition either as I suspect it will be something along the lines of "black hole" or "ball & chain".

I am having a hard time following you on this Michael..

I contend that there are many ways to invest and many ways to earn a return on that investment. What I posted above was the simple definition of the word Investment.

36 years ago, I made the commitment to invest the rest of my life in a relationship with a wonderful woman that is my wife. The return on that investment cannot be measured in my opinion.

Several years ago I invested a substantial amount of money on a bunch of parts that would one day yield a nice GT40 replica. Te expected return on that investment is not monetary at all. Simply a journey with ties to emotional satisfaction. Once I am gone, my family will sell the GT40 and do with the proceeds as they see fit. If I should happen to outlive my love affair with the GT40 and sell it - I would expect that the delta between what I have paid to build it and it's ultimate worth to the buyer would equal the emotional satisfaction I have had in creating it and owning it.

While there may be some that believe that their cars will appreciate in value, I am not one of them.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Mr Sunshine who offered up the two cars that sold at auction for $70k as the benchmark we should all expect our cars to be worth on the open market. .

I never said anything of the kind. This is really an insult to everyone's intelligence since my posts are right there for all to read, or re-read. How about giving the $70K thing a rest.

I would also request that you stop the personal comments about me. Overall there is far more negativity in your posts than mine, particularly because your negativity is directed at your fellow forum members personally. You're pretty deep into violation of a forum rule that says "In short, don’t berate, belittle, or ridicule your fellow forum member."

You said:

"There are few cars forums I've been on that posses the number of unhappy curmudgeons that one finds here. Seriously, get out of the house and away from your keyboards"
Here you take a swipe at the entire community and in particular are guilty of name-calling me, Keith and Veek. I think it's long past time for this to stop so I'll make the first move. This is my last post in response to you.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Oh brother Alan, you have been insulting me for several pages of this thread. Here is what you said.

somehow you have to persuade your buyer not to wait for yet another auction where he can pick one up for $70K. It might be a long wait.

Back