Current State of GT40 Market

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Oh please....Some of my best friends own Ferraris. I have to admit they all kinda look alike though. And I think it's really rude of you to make snotty remarks about my Hollywood and Rapper friends. They like my GT40 too. And my Ferrari.

Actually Alan, I made the Hollyweird and rapper comments. I actually do like many Ferraris. I have driven the 365 Daytona prototype when it was owned by a friend back in the mid 70's. I would kill for a P4 and love the 275 GTBs and the Lussos as well as some others. My first "exotic car" rides were in friends father's 330 GTC and the his early 206 Dino.

You do know the old joke about Fazzaz owners, right? " The difference between a rose and a Ferrari owner? On a rose, the pricks are on the outside!"

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ouch. Not all of us are pricks!! :) Besides, that joke is supposed to be about BMW owners!!!! (ducking and running for cover)

BMW, Corvette, Benz....whatever group needs to be dissed!

And I also know some very nice Ferrari owners including some guy who goes by "J6" as well as several others on this board.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Gentlemen,

A serious question if I may:

Is there anyone here who really believes someone who purchases/builds a r-e-p-l-i-c-a of a "high dollar" anything, be it a GT40 or whatever, considers his ROI down the road to be a big priority...or do you think his primary consideration is solely to own a car he can actually drive w/o having to sweat every little knick, scratch or dent...not to mention the fact he doesn't have to shell out $2 or $3 mil to put in his garage?

IMHO it's the latter.

After all, no matter how accurately a replica might be built, it's still a replica. It's not a 'genny'. IMO the benefit to building/owning an e-x-a-c-t replica is never a monetary one. Rather, its the personal satisfaction gained from knowing it's an exact, part-by-part, factory nut and bolt copy of an original. ROI doesn't really play a part in the decision to initiate the whole process. (Such a car would probably net a few more $$$ that the 'average' replica when sold down the road 'just because'. But, I doubt it'd be anything mind numbing.)

Am I 'all wet' on this?

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
And I also know some very nice Ferrari owners including some guy who goes by "J6" as well as several others on this board.

I bought P2160 from a very nice F40 owner. And I would have preferred the F40, needless to say. But for some reason he thought the GT40 roller was worth less. Probably he'd been paying too much attention to auction prices and not enough to asking prices for Mk I's on Club Cobra.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Is there anyone here who really believes someone who purchases/builds a r-e-p-l-i-c-a of a "high dollar" anything, be it a GT40 or whatever, considers his ROI down the road to be a big priority...

Am I 'all wet' on this?

No you're not at all wet in any significant way, and you've described my attitude toward my GT40 accurate to several decimal places. The only concern I have about your assertion is that I know for certain there are a couple or three people out there (or unfortunately, "here") that are, shall we say, "emotionally sensitive" to their expected resale value. For example, I once was so bold as to suggest there were design and quality defects in the SPF GT40 that could and should be corrected, and that SPF itself could do a better job of supporting its GT40 customers. Among the frogs that rained down from the sky as a result of the apocalypse I caused was this remark:

"YOU have cost me money: devalued asset. You will not continue your antics with impunity. I can make it real unboring for you, real quickly."

So, just an exception to prove your rule.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Actually Alan, I made the Hollyweird and rapper comments. "

Well, if you really want credit for that you have to share it with Michael. My rapper friends are busy looking up his address, but when they get done at his house they'll come to yours.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sad for you Alan that you expect your car to be worth so little one day. I don't mean to rub it in your face but I assure you mine will be worth substantially more. Just the breaks I guess...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The "VALUE" of anything is what is placed on it by it's owner.
The "WORTH" figure is determined by the buyer.

I consider my GT40 to be an investment for which I am certain would result in a negative monetary return should I sell it.

The VALUE I place on my car is not what I think it would be worth in the form of currency. Rather the smile that it will put on my face when I realize that I am driving a dream come true..

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Not to worry. Odds are foes of Mr. Watkin's rapper buddies will bump them off before they even get the chance to come after you...or Mikey! :D

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Randy -

Based on what I've seen of your car and the love and attention to detail that you're putting into the build anyone who loves GT40's will see the "VALUE" in your car. Personally, I can't wait to see it when it’s finished and the big smile that's going to be on your face!

Dave L

Pat

Supporter
Gentlemen,

A serious question if I may:

Is there anyone here who really believes someone who purchases/builds a r-e-p-l-i-c-a of a "high dollar" anything, be it a GT40 or whatever, considers his ROI down the road to be a big priority...or do you think his primary consideration is solely to own a car he can actually drive w/o having to sweat every little knick, scratch or dent...not to mention the fact he doesn't have to shell out $2 or $3 mil to put in his garage?

IMHO it's the latter.

After all, no matter how accurately a replica might be built, it's still a replica. It's not a 'genny'. IMO the benefit to building/owning an e-x-a-c-t replica is never a monetary one. Rather, its the personal satisfaction gained from knowing it's an exact, part-by-part, factory nut and bolt copy of an original. ROI doesn't really play a part in the decision to initiate the whole process. (Such a car would probably net a few more $$$ that the 'average' replica when sold down the road 'just because'. But, I doubt it'd be anything mind numbing.)

Am I 'all wet' on this?

Larry, I think you've missed one very important thing. A replica is something you can actually license, outfit as you wish and most impartantly DRIVE. Therefore you can enjoy as often as the mood hits you. Putting A/C in an original would be like that woman in Spain that boched the restoration of the fresco. If you wanted to own something just to own it, collect stamps, coins or velvet pictures of Elvis.
Unless you have seriously deep pockets to acquire and original coupled with Adrian Newey level resources for an accurate shunt repair, an original is a part of history and too few of the original cars can be realistically enjoyed on the track or open road. I suppose that's why some owners of originals clone their cars to a replica something that can be flogged on a racetrack or country lane. I have thousands of miles on my CAV and you just can't buy the kind of fun I've had with it. Is it pristine or dead nuts concours accurate? Of course not, but it's close enough to be one heluva drive and one I can repair with parts from the local NAPA store without fear of not having the "period correct" nut or tail light lens. Should I somehow inherit an original or consummate the significant financial transaction from my long lost Nigerian uncle to purchase an original, I'd simply never have the nerve to put it at risk on the road. But for now, the mad trips in the CAV up back roads and occasional track days are just fine with me. The reality for CAV mono #04 is that it doesn't really matter how much I can get for it, it's not for sale and therefore "priceless".

Last edited:
I should have been looking in our own forum's cars for sale. Looks like a very nice CAV for sale from ~94,500 asking price. Will be interesting to know how quickly it moves at or around that price.

A GTD and new un-assembled CAV is also for sale albeit at a bit lower prices.

Kevin

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Dave.. It's a special car and we're on a special journey... I know you can appreciate that as well...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sad for you Alan that you expect your car to be worth so little one day. ...

I'm sad that your reading comprehension is still so poor and that still don't understand the difference between price and profit/loss. I'm also sad that you are so distracted by these resale issues; such a waste of time. But OK, I'll give it another try....

I didn't say it would be "worth so little." I said it would be a money loser.

Let me explain this to you in small words and short sentences and let's see if you can follow. Profit is the difference between purchase price plus improvements minus sales price. If the sales price is larger than the purchase price plus improvements, you have a negative profit; that is, you lose money. There are two ways to do that: pay too much, or sell for too little. Got that? You with me? I know this is really sophisticated stuff we're talking about, but try hard to understand.

OK. In my case I have "paid too much" because I have spent a lot of money on "improvements" that no subsequent purchaser is going to value. Mine is not a typical case where somebody handed it over to an installer with a check for $10-20K and then drove it away.

Mine is more like an R&D lab. I've been working on the thing for over two years doing all kinds of design work, experiments, re-dos, arcane features, etc. That's where are lot of my "how to fix your SPF" posts I make come from.

Oh wait, that can't be true because "everything that comes out of my mouth is nonsense."

Regardless of that, repeatedly explaining to you that you're attributing to me things I never said is getting really boring. I would think that even you would be bored by now. I'm sure everyone else is. Feel like stopping? Don't you have some snow to shovel?

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Not to worry. Odds are foes of Mr. Watkin's rapper buddies will bump them off before they even get the chance to come after you...or Mikey! :D

Wait a minute.... does Rick know Ted Nugent or David Crosby? This could lead to civil war...

But anyway, Larry, what I can't figure out is how someone who so clearly gets the passion-fueling aspects of this hobby has not yet bought one. How can you stand it? You must have way better self-control than I do....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for keeping it simple Alan lol. Do you think you'll ever actually complete your car and be able to enjoy it? Do you need some help? Let me know, I'd be happy to come assist you in solving those difficult design issues so you can tie up the remaining loose ends.

I'm sad that your reading comprehension is still so poor and that still don't understand the difference between price and profit/loss. I'm also sad that you are so distracted by these resale issues; such a waste of time. But OK, I'll give it another try....

I didn't say it would be "worth so little." I said it would be a money loser.

Let me explain this to you in small words and short sentences and let's see if you can follow. Profit is the difference between purchase price plus improvements minus sales price. If the sales price is larger than the purchase price plus improvements, you have a negative profit; that is, you lose money. There are two ways to do that: pay too much, or sell for too little. Got that? You with me? I know this is really sophisticated stuff we're talking about, but try hard to understand.

OK. In my case I have "paid too much" because I have spent a lot of money on "improvements" that no subsequent purchaser is going to value. Mine is not a typical case where somebody handed it over to an installer with a check for $10-20K and then drove it away.

Mine is more like an R&D lab. I've been working on the thing for over two years doing all kinds of design work, experiments, re-dos, arcane features, etc. That's where are lot of my "how to fix your SPF" posts I make come from.

Oh wait, that can't be true because "everything that comes out of my mouth is nonsense."

Regardless of that, repeatedly explaining to you that you're attributing to me things I never said is getting really boring. I would think that even you would be bored by now. I'm sure everyone else is. Feel like stopping? Don't you have some snow to shovel?

Last edited:
Back