Custom transaxle

More work has been done on the T/A the last week or so. I have milled the main case and fitted the 9" carrier, machined the side plates and pressed the bearing shells in, machined and drilled the rear cover. As this tranny is to have QC gears in the back end I also had to make another rear section. I was going to stick them out behind the rear cover and use the Winters rear cover and just mill a 2" spacer to cover the gears but thought it would look like an after thought so I have made a section to go between the main case and the rear cover. This will support the main rear bearings and also help locate the shift rods better as well as looking like its ment to be there. The stub axles are done and the QC gear set is with the machine shop so he can do the spline on the output shaft. This will all be done when I get home at the end of September so I can bore the shaft bearing locations and fit it all together, just the input shaft to go. Sorry no pictures but will get some up next time home.

Cheers Leon

More work has been done on the T/A the last week or so. I have milled the main case and fitted the 9" carrier, machined the side plates and pressed the bearing shells in, machined and drilled the rear cover. As this tranny is to have QC gears in the back end I also had to make another rear section. I was going to stick them out behind the rear cover and use the Winters rear cover and just mill a 2" spacer to cover the gears but thought it would look like an after thought so I have made a section to go between the main case and the rear cover. This will support the main rear bearings and also help locate the shift rods better as well as looking like its ment to be there. The stub axles are done and the QC gear set is with the machine shop so he can do the spline on the output shaft. This will all be done when I get home at the end of September so I can bore the shaft bearing locations and fit it all together, just the input shaft to go. Sorry no pictures but will get some up next time home.

Cheers Leon
Both Winters and Halibrand have a deep cover for the quick changes that allow for a flat rear casting.

Hey John, I do have some photo's but can't get them down sized to post so will have another crack at it when I'm home. Also did some work on the rear uprights as well so will have them to cast hopefully by the end of October. Its looking good mate. can you measure the side of the starter motor to input shaft centre on that B/H, I think I can get away with a 1.5" spacer if there is enough room on that centre line to starter.

Cheers Leon.

will do mate, give me hoy when you get home and ill ring you, we have a land line now with free calls to nz.

cheers Kaspa

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man

Cheers Leon

Can't wait to see the T/A finished. That in itself is a huge undertaking even without all the other background building taking place on the body.

Hi Terry, won't be much to see untill next month but there has been a lot done and it has taken time off the main project. The end result will be worth the effort of that I'm sure.

John,I've sold that Case so there is some more money in the pot mate.

Cheers Leon

Stub axles have arrived and now I'm setting up the diff and side plates. The main shaft has had the spline's for the Winters QC gears done and I should receive them next week. The input shaft is a 2 part arrangement which has a floating shaft between the clutch and input bearing, this is to allow for different clutch splines and B/H lengths. Sorry, no photos now until it is complete which should be by Christmas.

Cheers Leon.

yeh haaaaaa guess what i'm getting for x mass, cant wait. ive had to divert my attention to the front of the chassis untill my chrissy present arrives, then it will all come together pretty quickly, especialy if my rear uprights arnt far behind,

cheers Kaspa

Leon, what do you think is a fair price for a pair of custom axels ......Subaru one end, Audi spline the other, approx 500mm long.
Cheers Russell

Hi Russell, It will depend on what they are made of, John got some 300M axles for the first 5000 so he would be the man to know, I would expect about $300 for the pair, the stubs I had made were a bit more than that but there is a lot more work with having the Flange with the holes threaded etc. The steel cost also as they were machined from billet so a lot of waste and machine time, which you shouldn't have for a straight axle. I used "Brian Howat Engineering" He has a huge reputation in the 4x4 comp community, good to deal with but he is so busy it does take a little time, custom axles are his specialty.
John, give me a buzz and we'll sort the Uprights for Feb 2016 would that be soon enough.

Cheers Leon.

Leon
Both the best reputable `makers` here quoted $750.00 the pair. (that`s a week and a half of my super.)
Am very tempted to weld up an Audi axel onto a Subaru one with a little bit of lathe work to keep them true.
Cheers

Russell, have you tried this method... In the CV listings from Repco the chart gives the number of splines for the external spline count and internal spline count for each CV joint-outboard and inboard. with a bit of research and measuring on possible candidates you 'might' be able to find something suitable ready made.

Ive done as your suggesting on some axles about 30 years ago, but that was on a Hillman Imp with a crossflow ford engine, a bit less in the TQ dept than what your playing with! The ol 'Super' certainly puts a kink in the lifestyle eh!

http://www.repcotrade.com.au/files/dmfile/DriveshaftCatalogue.pdf

Last edited:
Russel cant you just use either the Audi or Subi cv joints each end,and spin up an adapter for the odd one out, thats all i did for the Audi box to chev hubs, just used the GM cv's and got an adapter to fit to the Audi output flange.

cheers Kaspa

Hi Russell, That does seem a little high in comparison to the work I've had done.
Brian Howats # 04 567-1471 give him a call, he quoated mine over the phone and the finished product was what he said it would be, or as John says make an adapter for one or the other, although I imagine the Subbie CV is like the Nissan's so you can't do that end and not sure what the Audi is like. Using the Commodore is easy as they bolt to a flange

Cheers Leon

Hey Russell, I was talking to Brian this morning about stuff and asked him for an Idea on your axles and he came back with $500 - 550.
If you want to save the $$ I would just weld them together and then weld a sleave over the welded area or the full length, Your not running 700hp with 15"slicks and your car is very light.

Cheers Leon

Leon, length is the problem to using standard axle`s with adapters, I am thinking hard about welding them together, I just need another 28 spline Audi axel as I already have new Subaru cv`s and two Subaru axels. My lathe is a little short but have figured ways around that.
Cheers

I look forward to seeing what solution you end up with, I'm quite sure you will find a good one, It's all part of doing scratch builds.

Cheers Leon.

Well it has been a long time coming but its almost here. Only 1 shaft and the shift rails to finish and I will have a working transaxle. Just to quickly recap what we have here, 9" diff with a 3.55 8.8" R&P, 31 spine axles with 108mm (930)flanges, 4 spd Jerico dog box gear stack with Winters QC gears in the back, single shaft shifter.
The box is 23.5" total length, 18" axle line to rear of case and axle line is 2" above input shaft.
This is designed to accept the Ford Toploader gear stack and can have close or wide Ratio options the input shaft is a quil shaft and can be made to suit any clutch and any length required.
This box has the QC option but if I don't have that the box is 3" shorter.
I have attached some photos, let me know your thoughts. It still has quit a bit of clean up of the castings and will have a fine sand blasted finish.

Cheers Leon

Attachments

• IMG_5602.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_5604.jpg
    IMG_5604.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_5607.jpg