Custom transaxle

Leon, that is a brilliant effort...the skill required to make that all work let alone manufacture it is to be admired.
Cheers
Russell

Looks great! How are you going to shift it? I can't see it in the pictures. Can't wait for you to produce it and see what it will take for torque. Rod

Good work Leon and great idea swapping to the top loader with ford diff. Whats the overall final drive ratio potential with the quick change gearset on the back?

Bob

Thanks guys, Obviously there is still some finishing work to do to make it look less Crappy (LOL) the studs will all be cut to the right length and have hardened washers under the 12point nuts they are all ARP with 8.8 grade studs, the long ones I had to have custom made. John is right, the tappered bit on the top is where the shift rod will come out, the little bosses you see cast around the main case and diff section are for suction and inlets above the diff and gear stack if you want to install a pump and cooler and the one on the left side/middle is the fill point. without the QC option the box will only be 15" from axle line to the rear of the case making it ideal for short tailed cars (GT40s) As for the Torque ?? how much can you put through a Jerico/Toploader and 31 spline 9"?? I know it doesn't have the 9" R&P with the nose bearing but the 8.8" is still a good unit. The other ?? is the housing strength, I believe I have over engineered it if anything and its made from the same alloy and by the same people who make the Hollinger and Albins cases so I can't do more than that. As you giuys all know this box is going in Johns F5000 so it will be a good test bed for it. As for ratios, Winters do about 30, 1:1 to 1.8:1 and the 8.8 comes in about 4-5 different options so there is more than enough choices with the set it will go to John with you get a 3.2 and a 3.8 and if he buys a 1:1 set he will also have the 3.55
Unfortunitly I'm now away for 5 weeks but will have it finished and a set of uprights to go with it by Feb 2016.

Cheers Leon.

Last edited:
Hy mate i did buy a pump as you suggested, so having the exit and re entry points for the oil will be good.
BTW quick change gear sets are they 6 or 10 spline

cheers John

Hi John,
they are 10 spline, only the old historic V8s are 6 spline and some of the smaller diffs, They are the 1.25" sprint car gears. What are the AN size for the pump and I can drill and tap them ready for you. There will be a lot of finishing and milling to be done yet so it will look a lot prettier than it does right now, we don't want it looking crappy.

Cheers Leon

Are you going to go into production? If so do you have a timeline and a projected cost? Also I was curious to why only 8.8 on the studs not 10.9? Maybe not needed as the aluminum is not as strong? Do you have stainless threaded inserts in all of the treaded holes? Rod

Hi Rod,

There are no inserts, I did consider it but stainless and alloy are not good friends and there is nothing that require's repeated use, hence the use of studs not bolts, on final assembly the studs will be loctited in. 8.8 is more than enough with the size and number of studs being used, they are all coarse thead in the alloy and fine thread for the nuts.
As for production, Thats not a reality but "Built to Order" individual units will be availible. This one which is actualy the second unit is realy the "test mule" which is why John has got involved with me on this, I was going to test in my car but it is still a long way off and Johns car will be running quite soon.
The cost will be on a "By order" basis and dependent on spec, obviously a Toploader spec will be less than a Jerico and the type of 9" used also varies in cost, There will be the QC option also which adds to the base cost so it is hard to say it will cost "X Dollors" What I will say is it will be well south of the $30k that is a Hollinger or Albins.
If people are interested, just ask on here.
Hope that answers your questions, BTW I'm not a vendor, just a builder but if you want stuff PM me.
Sorry Rod, Time Frame?? six months, Now I have all the patterns, spec's and machine shops, it's just a case of lining it all up and putting it together. There are some changes to the main case that I'm going to do before another build and there will be a 5 speed option as well if its wanted. There will be a 35 spline large CV axle option and Uprights to suit.

Cheers Leon

Last edited:
That sounds it will be a great piece of equipment you are using proven parts so it should be very durable.I can't wait to hear how Johns works out! Are you putting in any provisions for top and or side/bottom mounts? P.s. I have found Yamaha case asembly adhesive works great for sealing trans axels and yet easy to get apart. Rod

+1 on the Yamabond.

This is one of the threads here that keeps me checking in on a regular basis. Man, a transaxle built around a Ford toploader and 9" diff? That's fantastic. This would be a really cool option if it becomes practical for your typical mid-engine project by the time I am ready to start.

Just a couple questions..
1) Why the hybred 9"/8.8" differential? Would neither option work out completetly? I know that 9" pinion gear is pretty large.
2) How are you going to manage a 5th gear with the Toploader configuration? Or will that be a different casting?

Back