CV adaptors and Half Shaft Lengths

I've got two question here, and I am hoping that people can help me.

I've now almost finished off getting the drive plate, spigot bearing adaptor for 01X so I am starting to look at the half shafts.

Question 1:
Audi have a 104mm PCD on their putput flanges, and guess what only Audi do those CVs. SO, I am thinking of making some adpators to either out a slightly larger CV Joint on, or the Granada style, so at least I have commonality throughout.

What would people recommend making an adaptor out of and any recommendation on thickness? The Output flanges on the Audi take a 10mm bolt, so if I recess the cap bolts, it would have to be 10mm thick, as the head is 9mm.

Question 2:
Considering the above. The Audi gearbox has quite a distinct offset, that being the nearside is 40mm closer to the hubs than the offside. Does this make a large difference? Would it it induce torque steer at all if I made the adaptors the same size, or would I need to make the offside x+40mm?

Thanks
Brett

Not sure on the material, but have been reading engineer to win of late, so make sure that you source suitable bolts, and get good thread engagement. Do the Audi CV joints have any other locating marks or dowels that would key into the face of the transaxle out put?

Given the same design, the weight difference is not likely to be much between using a cheaper grade of material, so the only reason for not using a high grade of alloy/steel would be availability or cost. I would imagine there is a benefit in CV alignment and wear characteristics if the shafts can be kept as long as possible, so the design is likely going to be constrained from this point and the mounting requirements to the face of the output flange.

If you even up the drive shaft length make sure you do not reverse rotate the left and right drive shafts respectively.

The Audi 01E is also asymmetric. I haven't measured it but ~40 mm sounds about right. I wouldn't be too concerned about torque steer becaue it should only manifest itself to the extent that the extra 40mm of half shaft length allows the longer half shaft to deform and release under torsion more than the other half shaft. I can't imagine it'd be noticeable.

Do the Audi CV joints have any other locating marks or dowels that would key into the face of the transaxle out put?

Given the same design, the weight difference is not likely to be much between using a cheaper grade of material, so the only reason for not using a high grade of alloy/steel would be availability or cost.

There's no marks that I can make out, only just a small recess that you could get machined for alignment maybe.

So, does anyone have any suggestion on the material. Obviously it could be made out of steel. Would any grade of Aluminium also be suitable?

Brett

Brett,

It may be that the early 01E ('97?) uses a flange that will mate with the late Porsche 911 CV if that helps. It is the output flange that's pictured on this site: Audi 01E Quattro Transmission

I'm afraid you'll have to research the fit and interchangeability, as I have never personally done this adaptation. The flange looks like the one on the 012 model 5 speed Audi transaxles which reportedly fit the Porsche CV.

I tend to err on the side of reliability, so when fabricating a CV adapter I would choose steel over aluminum. Pictured, are 01E to late Porsche 911 CV adapters I made of steel. Their thickness was dictated by the axle length. BTW, I believe the PCD (BCD) on the 01E output flange is 114mm.

Andy

Attachments

• CV Adapters1.jpg
    CV Adapters1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,120
Thanks Andy,
I have remeasured and the CD is definately 104mm. I think Audi changed the size around 2003 or something. Your pic gives food for thought though.

Brett

Brett
i am using an ao2 audi box in my rf.i cut one shaft to suit offset, turned down to audi spline diameter and resplined the other just required turning down and resplining and refitted audi cv joints.

ali grey

Back