Dan's Build

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Re your cranking problems when hot. On a fully charged battery check the voltage drop and current draw. It should not go below 9.6 volt while cranking. A fully charged battery that reads 13v or better doesn't mean it can deliver the amps. Charge it and do a load test @ 3 times the amp rating for 15 seconds. ( 80 amp x 3 = 240 amp ), Voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts. If it passes check all starter cables and grounds. If that's good buy a good quality brand name starter.

Cam

Here is a pic. The diameter was exactly the same so no mod to the hole. The mounting tabs were different so four new nutserts to hold the fan. Its taller but that wasn't critical for me. My wires are not tied down in the pic yet, but you can see the difference. Straight blades vs curved. That thing flat pushes some air. I can barely feel any air on the outside of the radiator on the stock side, but on the Mishi side I can feel the suction. Impressive so far.

Neil, wow that's mouth full. Metal Oxide...…… Like I said electricity is Greek to me. I gather this is a good thing. Thanks
IMG_2828.JPG

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Dan, The comments I made re cranking issue are very old basics. The first thing to do you must confirm the rest of the system before you blame the starter. A thought I had is, what size engine is the starter you have designed for ? Is their a chance that a auto electrical component reman shop could build you something that works for you? Can you find someone that has the same install? I'm not at all familiar with the Graz unit.
It's hard to diagnose with out hands on .

Thanks Bill. The battery checked out. I plan to increase the wire gauge to the starter before attacking the starter. I had started doing some leg work in case that was a problem. Most guys who experienced this seemed to have solved with bigger gauge and some heat shielding. Bigger wire is next on my to do list.

Well finally got fan #2 and installed it. Yes they are much noisier than the stock ones but the amount of air being pushed is significantly improved. Talked to the company who builds our radiators and they told me the stock fans were designed for up to 400HP. Most of us are much higher than that, so you can do the math. They encourage a shroud and see benefit to building a heat extractor along the lines of Cams. Anyway to get the heat out from under the front hood (another next project to do). I keep telling the wife, these things are never "done".
With the ambient at 88, AC on, slow neighborhood drive with engine at temp
IMG_2829.JPG

, it held steady just under 200. Next test will be at higher speed.

Thanks for the comments. I fabricated the shroud. Perhaps the radiator manufacturer builds one for this car. I’m not aware of anyone who has gone down that path.

I believe this may be the first SLC featured at Summit Racing. Anyway after the Summit Motorama this past June, Summit asked if I was willing to feature the car at their McDonough Georgia retail store. So for all of you who have spent as much money as I have with the Summit. The car sits on a turnstile which has to be balanced. It will be on display thru 6 August and will be a part of the annual on site LS Fest hosted by Atlanta's Vengeance Racing.

IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_20190702_135746.jpg

Joel K

Supporter
That is a very nice opportunity to show the car. Just a sign of how rare and the interest level an SL-C has.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dan. Here's a data point. I started out with the smaller battery in my SLC after I had 11 years of good service with one in my 302 GT40. But I could only get one good try when starting my SLC cold. It has SBC 350 @ 10.6 to 1 CR and a lot of valve spring pressure. So I went to the larger one and now I have a huge margin or battery reserve. I commonly crank it over until the oil pressure comes up and then turn on the ign power to start it. No way I could have done that before.

You can have a look at the specs of both and come to your own conclusions. The first one (small) was PC925, and the improved one is a PC1200.

Well after 30 some days on display I finally get to bring the car home from the Summit. Got a few things to redo and have been talking to GM about the 480 engine controller. We are all very confused by the P0606 code it thru and yet it operates. Got to experiment and figure this one out. A new shifter and nose hinges are on the bucket list of upgrades....perhaps Santa is listening...hint hint. Lol

Vengeance racing of Atlanta hosted the 6th annual LS Expo while my car was at the Summit. The car won people’s choice award, so not a bad showing.

It’s interesting reading and watching the new builds and seeing things done that I wish they had built before I had, since their solutions are really good to challenges I experienced. Really good stuff.

Interesting. They asked me for a story, and now I see the “press” can change things up. Even the picture is a bit off. That picture was taken in the winners circle at Motorama, not at the Summit. I will admit that some of what was written was a bit off the script I wrote.

Thanks for the link, I had not seen this before.

It's not fake news. They used Don Carter's car. Obviously a completely different person than the Dan Carter posting here.

Back