DAX Build Up

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Paul

They also did an exhaust gas analyser at the same time - again numbers that don't mean much to me but I'm sure some on here will advise.

I'll scan both the data sheets in at work and attach

Cheers
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dyno sheet and Emission results
(At SVA the tester said we were lean - does this show on these figures? If so is it melt down stuff or "just a little"?

As I said before a bit shy of the engine dyno numbers but the exhaust has some extra baffles to help quieten it.

Ian

Attachments

• hppscan45.pdf
    902 KB · Views: 454
Ian, the AFR on your dyno sheet looks to be in metric numbers so it's a little hard to tell. The typical ideal (roughly) air-to-fuel (AFR) ratio for most performance street cars is 13-14. It's typically a little leaner at the top end than at idle or initial throttle, but not by much. I'm guessing your dyno sheet shows 1.0 as equivalent to 14 (one atmosphere, or 14.6 perhaps??) which would imply you do have somewhat of a lean-out situation at the top end, getting down to perhaps an AFR of 11-12. This probably won't melt a piston (a leaner ratio will produce higher combustion chamber temps), at least not immediately, but you definitely want to notch up the AFR ratio a bit in this rev range. If you want to get really precise about it you can get a dynamic AFR reader for while you're driving down the road - pretty simple and easy to install. Hope this helps.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Made it up to Santa Pod today and found Perry and the boys from the MGB Owners Club!
Great hospitality offered and a quick guide to drag racing - thanks Perry
He did forget to mention that the first green is the start of the staging so I got a foul for having a reaction time of minus 0.3 seconds - My own fault for not paying more attnetion!

The first run I was against Perry - hell his car is quick - with my foul run I did a 60 foot of 2.3 secs and Perry 1.84 secs
at 1/8 me 9.41 Perry 7.48 (and heading into the distance)
at 1/4 mile Me 14.43 at 96 mph Perry 11.64 at 117.39mph
is car is still street legal but is currently sporting straight through pipes, welded Diff and a 150 lb squirt of Nos - on a 4.6 litre Rover lump

So straight back around to the queue
I ended up alonside a Punto
Well these guys have managed to get the Punto front end to stick - my standard one was lethal!
Any way
Reaction 0.8012
60Ft 2.16
330ft 5.93
1/8th 9.14 at 75.05 mph
1000 ft 11.88
1/4 14.30 at 97.21 - so slightly better than the first run

The 18 year old BF Goodriches were very slippery and a lot of wheelspin was had in first and second - in third they gripped ok
Ran out of revs at 1/4 mile so had to change up to 4th so again probably not a good thing for the times.

Anyway a great day and first puting to the strip

Ian

Hi Ian,
Well done for giving it a go at the Pod!
Missed you today at Clackets & Bentley, but seems like you had more fun.
If it is fine will you be going again on the 26th?
If so, you can no doubt tell us all how it's done!
Cheers
Paul

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is this the hand of God?

Well my car has now been touched

And thdistinguished Gents gathered outside

Ian

Attachments

• DSCF2136.jpg
    DSCF2136.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 799
  • DSCF2140.jpg
    DSCF2140.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 824

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well she's 3 years old!

In the last year put about 2600 miles on her and enjoyed them all

Yesterday time for the first MOT and she sailed through (Other than one upper suspension bolt being slightly loose so he tightened that on the spot!)
(Note to self buy some 22mm spanners an heck then regularily)

See how many miles she does in the next 12 months

Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice one Ian,
coincidentally mine was MOT'd yesterday too (not for the first time), so back on the road for the fiirst time since the Classic last year we had a great day.

whats the story behind the pictures?
Was your car blessed?
If so does this mean she will be even faster?:idea:

regards
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ok the penny has dropped,
this was the historical lecture type event you went to, a bit too far for me I thought, but on reflection may have been worth it to see and hear these guys in person.

regards
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

It was worth every penny!

You could always have picked up a cheap flight to Heathrow and come out in the white car!

Perhaps next time

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well I believe
I just made the biggest feel good part of my car

I just made the last payment on the loan!

She now belongs to me and not partly to RBS

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I believe these cars build friendships

Here she is outside Heston Hall under the flood / headlights of the taxi fleet at the end of a very happy day when Edward and Sarah gat married and used my car as the "get away car"

Congratulations guys the 19 December day is a good one my folks celebrated their 56 th anniversary yesterday and I wish you a long marriage together

Ian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 503

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Ian,
Well you had the car on the road for at least 15 years so you must have had lots of enjoyment from it and lots of happy memories. It would be interesting to know what mileage did you do in it.

I hope you stay a member of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club and a member of this forum. You did so much good work for the club, from committe member, prominent area member and organiser of at least one Classic Le Mans trip. Hope to see you again when you are south of the border.

Have you any ideas for a replacement?

Keep safe

Brian.

Ian, as Brian says, stay & stay.
We know eachother from the Rover V8 forum and we finaly met in person at Silverstone Classic some years back.
You where so enthusiast about your Dax so I find it hard to believe you let it go.

I am also curious about a relacement?

Stay safe, JP & Linda from Holland.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Brian
Certainly I have no intention to stay away from this website, nor the Enthusiasts club. I will continue o assist where I can, and at this stage no plans for a replacement……. But I am certain that will change!

Over the first3 years I clocked up, 4000 miles, most of it short trips as I slowly got the EFI to work reasonably, and continuously rechecking the fastness of bolts etc.year 4 1500 miles, and then 2500, 800, 600, 1000, 1000, 2000, 1000, 400, 100, 220 and 230. Ended up in total at 14500 So in recent years it was not getting enough exercise.

Yes it was higher mileage for Le Mans Classic trips, but after moving North to Scotland the damp roads and need for constant cleaning thereafter reduced the joy of driving. I could also never see doing another LMC at 2000 miles for the round trip.

JP as stated , I do not plan on leaving this community but just not with a car.

ian

Back