Dean's GT-R build thread

I'll be able to provide feedback on how the Graziano feels with my Coyote SLC as well. Shortly. Car is at the dyno now getting re-mapped to support the intake changes, etc.

More exhaust work this weekend. I have begun the process of connecting the collectors to the primaries. I cut all 8 bends and really had to sand them well to fit in the collectors. That's good because a tight fit will keep it from leaking.

I bolted all this into the car and started making the connections. First one was easy but after that, nothing moves!

After a day of work, this is what you get! It is all tacked together.

If you take the trans braces off, the headers slide right out. Here they are ready to weld up!

I am really happy with how they turned out.

Nice appearance both esthetically and look to be functional. How close did you get on ideal length for your application?

Luke, the length is pretty close to what I was after. Everything is a compromise and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. In some areas there is a lot of space and in others it gets pretty tight. For my first set of headers I could have probably chosen an easier project!

Anyway, here are the final headers after they are fully welded. I also finished up the "mufflers" and I use that term loosely! The option of using a real muffler and giving up the x pipe is always there but why would I ever want to do that? :evil:

Here are a few shots with the system on the car.

It is all taken apart now and on its way to Jet Hot for ceramic coating. I can't wait to get it all bolted on to see what is looks like all shiny!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Darn it, Dean! I sure wish you'd tape the stacks shut!!!

'Makes me n-n-n-nervous seeing 'em left 'open'/'exposed' like that! You're just inviting "Murphy" to pay you a visit sometime! :sick:

BTW - those headers are g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
:chug:

Hi Dean. Regarding your comment below:

"The option of using a real muffler and giving up the x pipe is always there but why would I ever want to do that?"

The answer would be take a ride in my car! I have the same setup, possibly bigger Burns mufflers, and when I drive on interstates for any length of time I use earplugs! Yep it all gets to much after a while. Its great for short 30 minute drives but any longer and hell its loud.

Anyhow we will see how you go.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Hi Dean. Regarding your comment below:

"The option of using a real muffler and giving up the x pipe is always there but why would I ever want to do that?"

The answer would be take a ride in my car! I have the same setup, possibly bigger Burns mufflers, and when I drive on interstates for any length of time I use earplugs! Yep it all gets to much after a while. Its great for short 30 minute drives but any longer and hell its loud.

Anyhow we will see how you go.

I also have the same setup on my Pantera with even smaller mufflers and I think it is quite manageable. The neighbors may not agree though. ;-)

Ron

Attachments

• KIMG0191.jpeg
    KIMG0191.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 529
I agree, I need to get the trumpets covered. I have used a string of tennis balls in the past. Probably a good idea.

The exhaust is perfect for me. This is one badass car and I want it to sound like it. Every builder is different. Who wants to hear a lion "meow"! Roar baby roar!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
This is one badass car and I want it to sound like it. Every builder is different. Who wants to hear a lion "meow"! Roar baby roar!

Obviously you're in complete agreement with Larry's Law NUMBER ONE (when it comes to cars): "If you can't HEAR IT at least 4 blocks before you can SEE it - it ain't worth owning."

Yeeew da man! More power to you, sir!!! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

As some of you might know the Graziano gearbox comes with some type of sound deadening material on the back that looks crappy. I tried painting it silver which was better but still ugly. You can see it in this picture.

I thought I would just hang a my license plate there but that wasn't the "right" way to do it. I was given some good advice by a couple forum members who had removed theirs. It seems like they had the most success with heat so that's what I did. First a heat gun then a torch. It gets soft but it's still sticky and be careful not to scratch the aluminum. I finished the removal with acetone and a nylon brush. Looks great! (sun was shining on it so it looks brighter than it really is)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder if a customer can order a Graz sans that sound deadener?

There's no logical reason I can think of why that shouldn't be possible.

It's really not that bad. It's a mindless job that you can do while thinking about your next project. I definitely looks better removed.

By the way, put the starter in. It doesn't really need an explanation but since I took the pictures, here you go!:thumbsup:

Back