??????Decline in GT40s For Sale??????

During my dreaming days prior to becoming a member here, I remember seeing GT40s for sale on this forum on a regular basis. It was an excellant way for me to see what the market has to offer, and learn about the many different manufacturers and what they offer.

Lately, fewer and fewer ads for GT40s for sale are showing up here. In addition, visiting other forums seem to reflect the same.

Is this the wrong time of the year? To me, summer is here. Kind of like the best time to market a car?

Or is the market on GT40s in general gone softttttttttt?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Gary, I would tend to think the absence of ads and the rather higher prices seen of late would indicate the market is not soft. I suspect that there are just fewer people around now who want to (or need to) part with their cars. Summer being an ideal time to enjoy them, of course. :)

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Ready to pull the trigger Gary? I'll make you a deal, one rare, low production GT40NZ, red/white stripes 347 webers for an 30 year old, tired CSX-2075. :D

Neal,

I appreciate your kind offer for the trade, but at this time, I think it is in my best interst to hang onto it for a little longer.

The time will come where I will pull the trigger......but when that happens, I have decided that an ERA GT40 will be the one that I go with.

I will keep you all posted, and thanks for the input.

Anyone wanting to see more pictures of my wore out Cobra, can see them
here:
http://www.cobra-ig.de/anzeigenmarkt/fahrzeuge/forsale1964accobracsx2075.php

Thanks again,

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Less product for sale and higher prices means the market is hard not soft.
With a buoyant economy people can afford to hang onto their dream car.
Conversely I suspect that those selling kits are doing O.K.
What say you Fran?;)

market hard or soft

I think you would find the market pretty soft right now. So far very few cars have come up that people need or want to sell. As soon as a few come up for sale that need to be sold in a specified time we'll see.

I think some people would rather buy new and build their rides their way from the start as opposed to undoing or redoing anothers handiwork....

We have not seen a slow down at all..in fact the new Superlite cars and the Mk4 's have been selling very well.

The Mk1 always holds its own at least 2 -3 per month for the last 18 months.

I dont think the market is soft at all...just my 2p

I know ....its crap for going home but great for my family coming to see us...Mums coming next week actually.....(terrorists allowing...F***kers)

GT40s FOR SALE: Are seemingly "rare" on most ANY site, including the "cobracountry" site..Newer version of Ford GT may attract newer buyers who "won't do the work" needed. Most "retired" dudes who always wanted their "PRIZE" wheels will probably hold onto them for many years to come. Once the Stock Market begins to decline, you will see select "give ups" appear here and elewhere...

Attachments

• GT40 engine and pipes.jpg
    GT40 engine and pipes.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 481

Ron Earp

Admin
It could be that many don't show up here because we require a measly $25 donation to advertise the car. I get an email a month about that generally, "why can't I post" sort of thing. People certainly like to have a captive audience to sell their wares to, and some expect it for free.

The UK market seems plently strong with generally a few GTDs for sale at any given time. As the most produced GT40 (I think) it stands to reason most for sale are GTDs. In the US most often you find a CAV for sale since over 100 examples (think they are on like chassis 140 or thereabouts) of those were produced and then sold here in the US. I don't think there are 100 of any other type in the US.

In fact it'd make an interesting question to find out how many GT40s are in the US, and probably easily done to a 10% accuracy.

They still seem to sell well when put up, maybe we're in a second hand lull?

Ron

Ron,

Good point about the forum support and the lack of people that are willing to pay to sell their car. And $25 bucks.......Pretty cheap advertising if you ask me.

In addition, it would be interesting to find out how many GT40 replicas are here in the good old USA.

Is their any way to post a "poll" by state to see if we can get information gathered? Would be interesting anyway you look at it. In my current health condition, it would be a long process for me to do it.

Cheers,

Russ,

I was not aware of this map on GT40s. This is great stuff, and right on for what I was suggesting. Going into my favorites as we speak.

I hope others will see this and participate as well.

Thanks Russ................

Back