Developing my SLC Build - Input Appreciated!

After long debate and comparisons, I have decided to go the 1UZFE route for the build. (So I dont want any "shoulda gone with a ____" comments)

Picked up this from a local yard last week:
1069931_10200125263245654_1055028344_n.jpg

From a '99 GS400
T-belt changed @90k although unsure on overall mileage. Overall its looking like a well maintained engine all things considered.

Goal for SLC build: I want to go for a street-oriented build that may go to the track occasionally, but primarily street-oriented.

Goal for engine: I want to get it in top running condition but remain N/A. However, if cost effective I'd like to build in the ability to go mild FI down the road (6-7psi).

First order of business: The wiring harness is hacked up fairly badly, but I do have it and so I have 95% of all the connectors. Which route would everyone recommend?
A) Repair existing wiring harness and buy a stock ECU?
B) Buy new wiring harness and buy a stock ECU?
C) Go with aftermarket standalone and completely bypass stock wiring/ECU?

Second order of business: Maintenance. I am all about doing maintenance now rather than waiting for something to break and having to fix it later. Thus far I have this on my list to do:
-T-belt plus accessories (tensioner etc)
-Water pump
-Oil pump
-Valve stem seals
-Gaskets from the heads up (minus head gaskets since I dont think I will pull the heads)
Is there anything extra you would recommend or anything you would recommend I take off the list?

As mentioned in the title, I'd love your input :thumbsup:

Standalone ECU and harness without a doubt....Megasquirt is probably the most cost effective and is well supported as an open source system

That threw me for a loop as well! Turns out for the later years (like ~97-2000) the 3uz intake system was used on the 1UZ. Yeah that got me all confuzzled for a bit since all else checks out for 1UZ from the block to running the VIN

Sweet! Looking forward to it! Love the 1UZ! DOHC in a size that's in between a Ford mod motor and a Chevy LS engine!

Light and capable as well, remember this is what Fran initially showed pictures of the SL-C with!

My local pick a part has a few of those there. If you need an ecu let me know as I can get them for $25 there. No TB's as I took them for my swaps, but if you need some other things on it let me know and the next time I go I can see what I can do. You might also want the ignition key if there is an immobilizer for the ecu if it has that. If you are going to keep it stock the stock ecu and harness will work just fine and can actually be a better ecu than others out there and way cheaper. It can actually be pretty easy to wire up when you map it all out and the Toyota diagrams are pretty good. I have yanked Toyota V6's from Camry's and Siennas to put in the MR2 so this is similar. It is a heavy engine, but sold iron block should be able to take some boost later. I thought about putting one in the MR2, but the 3mz was a better choice at like 100-150 lbs lighter for that car since it is easier to fit in there. Interesting choice. My first choice was to use a 3mz and twin turbo it until I got the flat idea in my head. I still ponder the engine choice.

My local pick a part has a few of those there. If you need an ecu let me know as I can get them for $25 there. No TB's as I took them for my swaps, but if you need some other things on it let me know and the next time I go I can see what I can do.
Haha figures, yeah I do need a TB. However, if I go the aftermarket ECU route (most likely megasquirt like Fran recommended) how hard would it be to go with an aftermarket TB?

Now I won't need power steering or AC but I will need an alternator... would that be a good yard item or would it be better to get new/refurb?

Oh and before I forget, could you get your hands on any coil-on-plugs? Not sure what the standard name for them is, but the coil-on-plug style from the vvti engine, instead of the old distributor style. The ones like in this picture:

1u2l.jpg

I currently only have 5

remember this is what Fran initially showed pictures of the SL-C with!
That was actually one of the factors that played into my decision after stopping in and talking to Fran a couple weeks back. And then I have the best resource possible to go to if I decide to go TT down the road.

Last edited:
I have yanked Toyota V6's from Camry's and Siennas to put in the MR2 so this is similar. It is a heavy engine, but sold iron block should be able to take some boost later. I thought about putting one in the MR2, but the 3mz was a better choice at like 100-150 lbs lighter for that car since it is easier to fit in there. Interesting choice. My first choice was to use a 3mz and twin turbo it until I got the flat idea in my head. I still ponder the engine choice.

Not wanting to de-rail this thread but since we are on the topic of Toyota engines, I would have thought the 2GR-FE would have been a better choice?

I personally would LOVE to see one swapped into an FRS/BRZ but I don't know how difficult a swap it would be on a modern car while keeping all the systems working normally.

As for the COP's, you're using the right name. I recall years ago people over on the Lextreme forum trying to find suitable replacement ones but I can't remember the outcome. Do the ones from the 2UZ/3UZ not work?

I personally would LOVE to see one swapped into an FRS/BRZ but I don't know how difficult a swap it would be on a modern car while keeping all the systems working normally.

As for the COP's, you're using the right name. I recall years ago people over on the Lextreme forum trying to find suitable replacement ones but I can't remember the outcome. Do the ones from the 2UZ/3UZ not work?
As far as the FRS/BRZ, might be a cool swap but so far the FA20 seams to be proving to be just as capable/durable. Guess only time will tell...

I have not checks into COPs from 2/3uz but since so many other things are interchangeable, thats a possibility!

Hi Jacob, This is a site you will find very handy everything is there.
Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum - Powered by vBulletin I am also on that site as lambo also.
We have a guy in nz that has cracked the immobilize stuff if you need help with that contact Gloverman on the site, there is not a lot he doesn't know about 1uzfe.
I am doing a 1uzfe and a audi 016 into my Countach, so if you need help just ask, a lot of Kiwis use the Link computer for the 1uz been fine tuned over the years to the point you just order the CPU wiring etc and plug it in all maps etc are supplied. New Zealand Dealers — Link Engine Management Systems - plug-in & wire-in aftermarket ECU's

Regards
Lambo

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah I've been a member there for a bit, just never posted anything so I went ahead and started a thread over there as well: 1UZ for my Superlite Coupe SLC - Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum

Now this may sound like a slightly noob question but: will I need any sort of TCU or other wiring to control/run the transaxle if I go the G50 route?? I dont think so but I need to ask...

*edit* ^^^^ haha wouldn't be complete without the flames :p thats pretty insane! love the sound =]

I was going to mention lextreme but I decided not to for various reasons.

Anyway I believe there is a document over there which lists the compatibility of parts between each UZ

There is a lot of knowledge over there though.

As for the FA20 it's a four pot..... I don't hide the fact that I hate four pots.... I'll check out that 3MZ vid when I hit a computer.

You shouldn't need any control unit for any fully manual gearbox or transaxle.

Need some more input: I am going to be scrapping the stock wiring harness and building my own. Where is the best place to locate the ECU in the SLC? And how to get there? So I can plan where to go with the harness.

I would assume in-cab would be the obvious place, but where and whats the best way to get there?

Jacob,

I would suggest that you wait until you have the SLC AND engine together before finishing the harness since there may be unique installation/component requirements for your build.

^^^ yeah thats probably best, it'd be hard to get accurate measurements with the frame not right in front of me. *deep breath* patience :)

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Almost all the SLC builds I've followed Jacob have their ECM mounted on or near the firewall. With most usually on the right side.

Thanks! and yeah I think I will wait to complete the wiring harness until I have the frame to test-run the wiring route.

and engine update: Have the heads pulled, and started on cleaning! I'm a cleaning nut, so I knew I could never not pull the heads and leave the pistons all dirty so...

1010464_10200249929322228_2122740763_n.jpg

I'm going 1UZ-FE in my GT40 with COP and ITB's. Using a Megasquirt 3 along with MS3X

I'm going with the older 89-94 engine though.

Anyway, bit late now I guess but the suggestion to me was to change the oil+filter, change the water pump (plus belts) and leave it alone.

Anyway, bit late now I guess but the suggestion to me was to change the oil+filter, change the water pump (plus belts) and leave it alone.
Well I considered that. However, due to school and army, I wont be doing anything chassis related until at least december-january range so I have plenty of time to tinker on the engine. Also, being from a scrapyard pallet already pulled, I dont trust it as much as if I had seen it pulled directly from the car.

With that being said, between the 90k maintenance sticker on the intake, super clean cams, and the writing on it "JA1813" assuming that means it was pulled on Jan 18th of this year? All things point to it being a well-maintained engine

*Edit* also, this is as far as I'm going, not going to touch the bottom end at all

Back