Does your GT40 attract attention?

Im looking to build a real head turner kit car in a few years. Im stuck between the GT40 and the Factory Five GTM. Ive spoken to the owner of a GTM and he said people all the time stick their cell phones out their car windows to snap pictures. He even let me sit in his GTM and awe it was a dream come true. He even said he will come out of a shopping plaza and people will be surrounding his car in the parking lot. Im just wondering, does your GT40 attract people like the GTM, cell phone pics and all? Like I said, I want a real head turner. I really like the GT40 as Im a Ford guy, but the GTM is drop dead gorgeous and I know its an attention grabber. So how about your GT40? Does it grab peoples attention?

Jon,
The gt40 does attract a lot of attention. If all you are concerned about is attention, there are other cars that garner that kind of attention without all the effort you will be putting into one of these projects. The other thing to consider is comfort. The gt is hot and cramped, and the GTM is a "little" more roomy and comfortable but not much.......... You may also want to take a look at the Ultima and the SLC. Good luck and have fun, Scott

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
If you want a head turner in a 4-season car (enclosed), why not consider one of RCR's SuperLite Coupes (The "SLC")? Personally, I have NO doubt you will hear that the GT40's attract mega-attention...the only reason they might not do so is that they did not have the "market presence" that the Shelby Cobra had during the same time period. To really appreciate the GT40 one had to be a race buff....

However, considering that the GT40 is my dream car, I would drive it even it it didn't...in fact, would perhaps like it better if it didn't!

I drive a Cobra...can't get away from people, they approach me everywhere I go. The Cobra has been seen on their TV sets, on YouTube, and they recognize it. Last week I went to WalMart at 2AM (less crowded, no lines to check out) and I parked the Cobra under one of their lights as far from the store as I could get it...when I returned, there were 3 other cars parked in a circle around it. I would have been a bit worried if one of them had not been the store security car....if you want a head turner, get something people recognize.

The reason I suggested the SLC is that it SO resembles the more recent crop of race cars (which it IS)....park one with the race tail and that huge spoiler in a parking lot and prepare to have to wade through the crowd when you return. As for making it comfortable on the street...can't imagine being able to do that, it must be a real greenhouse!

Cheers!

Doug

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jon,

The GT40 attracts tons of attention, cameras and many questions. One thing to keep in mind, approximatly 30% of the folks who come up know what it is, the rest all ask the same question.................."what is it". I imagine that with the GTM that number is probably closer to 99%.

At that point when you say its an Ultima, GTM, Noble or whatever, that kind of ends the discussion.

But when you tell them its a GT40, that just opens up a whole new discussion about Henery Ford, Le Mans victories, Dan Gurney, Bruce McLaren and the incredable value of the original cars.......................................

They are all great cars and great fun and of course thats just my 2 cents, opinions may vary.

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
I must say that I am consistently ignored wherever I go in the GT40. Sad really. Such a disappointment. I just wish I had bought something interesting.
Ah well.....
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Dull car.jpg
    Dull car.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Boring old car.jpg
    Boring old car.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2,309
I must say that I am consistently ignored wherever I go in the GT40. Sad really. Such a disappointment. I just wish I had bought something interesting.
Ah well.....
Cheers
Mike
attachment.php

but she is nothing but a child ! you naughty boy:laugh:

I'm young at heart!

As for attention...I recently went to a show with a lot of high-dollar hardware..Aventadors etc...The GT clearly was the star.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
She can sit on my...............................car anytime!

Jon, I'm going with sarcasm!

Ron, I'm not sure you are that young:)

I have to agree, be it Lambos, F cars P cars McLaren MP4-12c or wharever they call it, when the Batmobile shows up priorities change.

Although Ron, I have noticed when I have gone somewhere with Eric, his beautiful Gulf Blue & marigold leaves my black beauty very lonely:(

Last edited:
ooh...thats a nice looking lady..., ok the car is nice too :D

attachment.php

it attracts pu...

You guys also new the Belgium car? (no its not a joke ;-))

Gillet Vertigo, mostly was with a tuned V6 and very light and very fast, but since a while also (or only) the "Gillet Vertigo 5" with V8 from the Maserati I think.
It weights only 700kg...it looks strange too :D

edit: some older type weighs 700kg, the one with V8 weighs according to the website>>

A return to the original spirit with this Vertigo .5 Spirit : " driving pleasure in a work of art object." With a very rigid carbon-nomex framework of 58 kg, the Supercar weighs hardly more than 950 kg

008.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

GILLET%20VERTIGO%205%20a.jpg

4989179371_e219ca6bf4_b.jpg

butterfly doors

005.jpg

they also do races with those type cars.

Last edited:
thanks for the input you guys. as for the SLC, i dont think im a big fan. one way or another i think ill be doing buisiness with RCR in a few short (hopefully) years

Ah well.....
Cheers
Mike

I agree Mike, great disappointment a you can see from my experience:
Hey ho,,,,
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• LMC 2010 Part 2 (395) Forum.jpg
    LMC 2010 Part 2 (395) Forum.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0373 Forum.jpg
    IMG_0373 Forum.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_0305 Forum.jpg
    IMG_0305 Forum.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 574
  • LMC 2010 Part 2 (408) Forum.jpg
    LMC 2010 Part 2 (408) Forum.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 622
Jon
Get a GT40.......no contest............. and then get it shipped To France for the Le Mans Classic in 2014

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Funny, I don't see any ragheads? I think I can spot a couple of mullets. Is that Cairo, Alabama?

Back