Early CAV with 302 crate motor...Audi 5000 5 speed...what should I do???

So, I just picked up a CAV from a friend. I helped build it 7-8 years ago. Right now it has the 302 Ford Motorsport motor (300+ hp) and the Audi 5000 5 speed. The gear ratios suck. 3000rpm at 70 or what ever it is just bumms me out on long trips. What can I put in that does not cost 10K. I have access to parts. I do have a G50 from an 88 Carrera right now and a few other goodies 944T trans etc. What would you guys recommend. I hear about the Audi 6 speeds...what cars are they from and how easy is it to install.

Thanks,

Sean

IMG_1310-vi.jpg

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
So, I just picked up a CAV from a friend. I helped build it 7-8 years ago

Sean -- sorry for the thread hijack, but did you drive this car by my house on Willowspring in Encinitas last Saturday, 7/2? If so you drove it right past it's soul mate (a blue Mk II). :thumbsup:

Alan.

Sean, You and I are in the same boat as far as boxes go. The box we have is the weak link IMO. Top speed is limited to about 140 if your lucky and first is useless. And I'm sure you know not to do any burn-outs with it either! I'm looking to install a Audi 6 speed which will require some retrofitting of a few bits. (Axle's, CV boots maybe an adapter plate) Sounds like the G50 would be a very good alternative but may require a lot more work to fit. The Audi 6 Speeds can be had for about 3K+ and can be fitted with a LSD for about another 1K and I'm told are good to over 450 HP and torque. Your current adapter plate might still work too which will help keep costs down. I'm told I should not have to replace the clutch either and some other minor components. Its probably the easiest way to go as a straight swap. Plenty of GT40 owners are using these Audi 6 speeds from what the GT40 poll shows too. As far as I know they came in two versions Diesel and Gas engined cars and I believe the diesels are more plentiful as to availabilty as they are brought in from Europe. I may be worng but I think the Audi A4 used them as well as some other Audi cars but don't quote me.

Keep me posted on your decision. I'm ready to pull the trigger on doing mine.

Sean -- sorry for the thread hijack, but did you drive this car by my house on Willowspring in Encinitas last Saturday, 7/2? If so you drove it right past it's soul mate (a blue Mk II). :thumbsup:

Alan.

- Hey Alan... not me. My car has been in a garage for a few months. I needs to come out and get a good wash and a drive!!! :)

What is the exact model application in the USA on that trans? I own a wrecking yard and I have lots of contacts that do Audi. If I don't have to replace the adapter, clutch etc that helps my decision to go Audi. What is the part number or model number we need to find. What part of the US are you in?

Sean, not sure if you're asking me or someone else but I live in Florida but if you want to contact me I can give you my info if needed. Let me know. In the meantime a website you should review is Advanced Automotion who specialize in Audi boxes and other bits. Scott seems to know his stuff and can answer just about any question you might have about the 01E. Tell Scott I sent you.

You can modify you 944T trans to mate up to you existing gearbox. I did that. But I do t recommend it for all the work and cost it will take. Search my thread for how to do it. An 01E from advanced automotion would be the most logical and straightforward swap, but how much you actually need to change the adaptor plate, clutch etc is the big question. I would love to know if anyone has swapped an 016 for 01E, preferable using the KEP 302 adaptor kit, clutch, flywheel etc. I understand only the spigot bearing arrangement needs changing, plus the driveshafts will need and adaptor for sure. But until someone does it and drives it...dunno.

You can use the plate with slight modifications. The 01E has one of the aligning sleeves in a different location from the 016. You will also need a different flywheel and clutch as the input shafts are different in length. It might be possible to modify the flywheel but you will need a different clutch plate as the splines are different and the pilot bearing size is different too. I can do the modifications if needed. I have made adapters for both transmissions.

Hey Eric

Can you do / supply a kit that has the missing parts required to do the change from 016 to O1E if you already have the Kennedy's 016 adapter set?
I would need 2 sets as I have 2 cars to change out.

I have a 302 / 016 with a Cable shifter , Kennedy's adapter set and want to swap to 01E supplied by advanced automotion.

MIKE

Lifetime Supporter
Hi sean,,, first let go for a ride....

You need a trans...

1. I have a 6 speed audi for cav 302 motor
new from so. Africa never installed w/all the parts for cav 302 set up
$6500 firm
my 6 speed ratio in 6th is like a 3.89 5 speed in 5th

2. Hre has audi trans ratio 4.10 3.89 $3,500 ish rebuilt

3. I have the place who has 3.22 gears that i used and car 71 dave has
they work great also... Cost ?? Mine were $1,700 plus install

hope that helps... Mike in san berdoo......909-421-0691

With a few parts changes an 01E can be used which will give you much better freeway ratios as well as a stout gearbox.

My rf has the 6 speed from an audi a 8 manual which was only available from germany. It is a edf code one which includes an oil pump to run to a cooler(rad) It takes a 460 bhp 342 roush engine with no problem so far. Was 3000 pounds and ordered directly from audi uk .I am sure that it would be the same in the states It uses standard a8 clutch and the conversion plate would be available from the new rf or they might supply a template at a price to save transport cost

What is the exact model application in the USA on that trans? I own a wrecking yard and I have lots of contacts that do Audi. If I don't have to replace the adapter, clutch etc that helps my decision to go Audi. What is the part number or model number we need to find. What part of the US are you in?

The 01E 2 wheel drive 6 speeds were never installed in North American vehicles. They are an imported item.

My rf has the 6 speed from an audi a 8 manual which was only available from germany. It is a edf code one which includes an oil pump to run to a cooler(rad) It takes a 460 bhp 342 roush engine with no problem so far. Was 3000 pounds and ordered directly from audi uk .I am sure that it would be the same in the states It uses standard a8 clutch and the conversion plate would be available from the new rf or they might supply a template at a price to save transport cost

EDF is a 5 speed automatic all wheel drive gearbox. There is no such thing as a 2 wheel drive gearbox with a diff driven oil pump. The 4 wheel drive gearboxes are the only ones with the pump and those parts can be utilized for a 2 wheel drive gearbox. The A8's in the USA never got a manual gearbox either.

I had the same problem and had my final drive ratio reduced from 3.89 to 2.92. This gave 2200rpm at 110kph (approx 70mph) and made all the gears usable.

The 016 with a 2.92 ring and pinion is a nice ratio set however the 016 is still fairly weak the ring and pinion cost exceeds the cost of an 01E by almost twice.

Last edited:
Back