EFI setup question???

When running the Motec system as setup for an RF using the Ford Cam Sensor, how do you install the sensor? Having put the motor at TDC on #1, how do you set the Cam Sensor? Do you drop in the sensor then set the Sync in the software or do you set the sensor at a special point in relation to TDC, then fine tune in the software.
I have been trying to get my motor to run and have been getting a Sync Error. I am gettin spark but suspect that it is at the wrong time. The Motec software version 3.4 has a Sync/Ref capture feature that shows you the signel just as a scope would. This feature shows the square wave form from the Hall effect Sync sensor and the signal from the magnetic Ref sensor and the two do not line up. The Sync signal seems to run about seven pulses behind the missing tooth Ref signal.

Help.

Peter

I would put a timing light on it have someone crank it over and see if the timing marks are there at the pulley.
If not I would look to see if you have if the senser is in correct spot.
Im not into motec but most systems have to see a signal before TDC say 60deg before.
As it needs time to calculate before TDC.
I would emagine with the m800 you would be able to tell it at what crank angle the senser is at.
If so go to the timing light and keep changing the figure till you see it at the pulley.
If you have waist spark make certain you have the low tension on the coils to the correct coils (firing order)

Should be in your motec instructions or motec site.

Hope this helps you get closer.

Jim

Hi Peter -

Please refresh us as to your setup/configuration. I have set up a number of M48 systems including both wasted spark, coil per plug and single coil/distributor and have not had the signals line-up. I try to arrange things so they do not coincide in order that the ECU detects an obvious sequence of events.

The cam sensor indicates to the ECU where TDC for Cyl 1 is, this it does from the Crip (Crank index position) value which represents the number of crank degrees between the Cam position signal and the Crank position signal.

As the cam rotates at half crank speed, this angular value can be up to 720 degrees. It is used to ensure that on a sequentially injected motor, the injector firing does so within a window of the valve opening. If incorrect, the motor will generally run, but the fuel will be spraying at a closed valve, sitting in the port until the valve opens and sucks the mixture in. On a V8 with individual coils per plug, it is important because it determines which coil fires and when. The coils fire in a sequence determined by hard wiring (M48) even though the firing order is entered into the ECU programming, it is only as a fault diagnosis aid. IF the crip is incorrect, the wrong cylinder's coil will fire dependant upon whether the crip is advanced or retarded. (pops and bangs or flames at inlet)...

On a 'distributor' install, it is still possible to have the motor run but with the injectors out of phase, the spark being 're-directed' by the lead placing on the dizzy. To check, you can set say a 5 degree ignition timing trim on one cyl - say '1' and then check to see that the strobe shows a retard on that spark lead, if it doesnt, strobe them all one by one till you find it and the crip error can be corrected by multiples of 90 degrees till it's correctly on cyl '1'.

Re sync errors - what do you actually get? I've not come across many systems that give ZERO errors, especially on start-up and even more so if (2-wire) magnetic type triggers are used. Speaking to Peter Knight of Knight Racing services (renowned UK motor builder/dyno), he too regularly see's sync errors on motors, especially those using MSD triggers, whether dizzy or crank (flying magnet) based.

Hope I've not 'muddied the waters' too much with this response...

Any chance of a few piccys?? a picture is worth a thousand words...:)

Paul,
Thanks for your response and no you have not muddied the water.

As an update I spoke with Motec and came to understand the importance of the Crip. I was told how to get that setting by looking for the Ref Tooth with the motor at TDC. Since I am in a no start position with no pops and bangs the belief is that the setting is way out. I wil be checking that angle today and let you know the outcome.

Thanks for thr help, Peter

Back