Electronic Speedo with half shafts

Hey Lynn

What are you using to generate a signal for your electronic speedo ?
I've seen the inductive pickups using the bolt heads on CV joints.
But what about those like Sabre and DRB that use half shafts?
The bolt heads are kind of shrouded and don't look like good candidates.
Thanks

MikeD

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Mike,

The G50 has a pickup located in the side cover that, I am assuming, picks up the bolt heads of the ring gear. I suppose one could do something similar, but I am sure there are easier solutions.

I'd go to several of the instrument companies websites and see what they have for speed sensor adapters for their speedos. I seem to recall one such adapter that uses a stick on magnet or reflector (don't recall, but wouldn't be surprised if both were available) that could be put onto a drive shaft or half-shaft to pickup a signal. I also seem to recall adapters that engage the mechanical speedo output and then convert to electrical signals.

I tried to figure out which transaxle you are using, and saw posts on both Audi and 915. With that info, maybe someone else here has already cracked that nut.

Lynn

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mike

I am using ETB instruments
http://www.etbinstruments.com/ETB_Range.htm#EPS

They supplied the pick up that picks up on magnets pssing the sensor.
These 2 magnets were then stuck 180 degrees apart on the inner CV joint and epoxied in place. A somple bracket holds the sensor in position and then by typing in the number of magnetic pulses per mile (using button on the dial) the instrument is set (was said to be the first 100% accurate the SVA tester had seen)

Ian

Back