Engine incline angle

I have been trying to find a thread I read a while ago about engine installation angles. My LS2 is currently sitting at 2.5 degrees tail down, and has a rear sump pick-up.

There was some talk of issues with some engines running more angle than this? Honestly can't remember, any advise welcommed - but keep the Chev bashing to a minimum :drunk:

You have the preferred engine angle...most engines tilt the other way (i.e., rear up) which has the potential to cause cooling problems.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If you put a dry-sump oiling system in it with the right scavenge ports - you could run the engine upside down... I wouldn't advise it though..

I don't understand the concern re: cooling.. If the system has no air in it, it should not matter.

It's all about the oiling system and windage..

The Fuel Injection system doesn't care and if you were running a carb, it's a simple job to buy or machine a wedge to bring the carb to closer tolerances..

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I am no expert at this but in all my reading of the car mags the object of the angle of the motor was for getting the sump at the right angle to get all the oil to the oil pump intake. the angle was set on the intake to get the carb flat for fuel bowl issues. the rest of the angle was to deal with the transmission relationship to the differential. With a GT40 or other transaxle type car that portion of the angle is no longer needed and probably not advantageous. I currently not planning on any more than a degree if that for the car I'm doing.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Not being expert in Chevy engines gives me the opportunity to put my foot in my mouth, so bear with me on this:) Most discussion here about engine angle relates to Ford SB engines. Typically these engines do not have a water passage across the back of the intake manifold and are susceptable to localized boiling in the heads when mounted level or especially nose down. You'll find a lot of discussion and how to's regarding steam passages added to these manifolds. Are the Chevy mills or manifolds coolant paths designed so this doesn't happen? If so no worries. Most front engine rear axle cars have the engine mounted nose up a few degrees because of packaging and driveshaft u joint angles, that's why a pickup would have more angle. Generally speaking, if you are slightly nose up it helps the cooling system. Cheers

Back