EPAS (Electric Power Assist Steering)

Morning James

We're using Microchip PIC commonly just referred to as PICs, we use them in all our data recorders. In this instance we used a 16F690, simply because we had recently done a similar development for a power factor measurement product. Over the years we have used 16C73, 16C73B, 16F876, 12F629, 16F690,.... many more but I can't remember the p/n. The code it written in C, so we can port it to any uP we like. The pin count on the 690 is 20, we could have use an 8 pin, but as I say, for speed we went with the 690.

Arduinos are good too but if you can design and make PCBs then you have more flexibility.

Keith

Morning James

We're using Microchip PIC commonly just referred to as PICs, we use them in all our data recorders. In this instance we used a 16F690, simply because we had recently done a similar development for a power factor measurement product. Over the years we have used 16C73, 16C73B, 16F876, 12F629, 16F690,.... many more but I can't remember the p/n. The code it written in C, so we can port it to any uP we like. The pin count on the 690 is 20, we could have use an 8 pin, but as I say, for speed we went with the 690.

Arduinos are good too but if you can design and make PCBs then you have more flexibility.

Keith

That old Chestnut :stunned: Does all this alien speak mean that it`s sussed out and we dont need the ebay gadget?

Bob:laugh:

Hi Bob, it is well known that electrical engineers speak many languages, while mechanicals are more limited,... :cheesy: (just joking guys,.... as an electrical I do frequently need your mechy help).

It's a very simple circuit, in testing, basically due diligence. My circuit is just a different take, hopefully offering a better experience (... I can even use marketing-speak).

Personally I don't want a rotary knob on/under the dash, I'd rather have a single push button to press, if I need assistance to park. I have never used or seen one of the eBay items, so have no opinion on the quality, my design just addresses the usability to some degree.

Keith

Thanks for the info Keith. Electronics is a whole other world! My gearbox (Audi 01E) has an electronic speed output signal, so in theory I should be able to set up something so the power steering unit changes assistance as the speed changes. Need to learn a lot more about PICs etc first though :)

James, 'all' you will need will be a circuit to either multiply or divide the pulse count from the gearbox to suit the corsa EPAS. I plan to look at that when this simple circuit is sorted. K

I have been talking to the guys at Rallywiz for some time. In an effort to help Keith with what the others are doing with their units i posed several questions to them. Here is their response and information. It should help you guys with what is out there comercially.

1. Is the system hooked up to the switched power?
the main power to the power steering ECU is connected directly to the battery or master switch. The switched power switches on out EPs unit which sends the required signals to the corsa power steering ECU, when it receives these signals, it then powers up the internal relays on the ECU kicking the system into life.

2. On start up is there a defaut setting or is it where the "knob" was last set?
where the knob is left at.

3. At the extremes of the settings how much power is required/consumed?
At extremes, about 42A, this is when the steering is at full lock, and pressure still being applied to it. Normal loads from 0.2 to 10A, depending on pressure being applied.

4. Do I need a higher power alternator? Power items I have are fuel
pumps(lo and high), 2 front fans(12"), 2 rear fans(8"), 2 engine bay
fans(5" usually run just before shut down with a run on relay for 3
minutes) water pump, trans pump(rarely used),electronic ignition, & 3
rear view cameras.Current alternator handles this load well.

Generally a higher power alternator is reccomended, but this depends on the type of racing you are doing, if it is long sections of really twisty circuits, it is definetly needed, however, if it is short races, or normal load steering there is no need for a bigger alternator. (we have this system fitted to many rally cars here in europe, and dont need any modification for the 20km stages we have here, even though they are twisty, however, we also have systems fitted to cars running races in gravel pits which consist of about 10km of turning hard left and right constantly, these cars generally need a large alternator.)

5. How does the "knob work? Is it a smooth transition between
settings or is it a notched setting.

Smooth transition

6. How many phases does the controller go through, low,medium, high,
or just low and high?

A gradual phase from medium to high. no real low setting as the opel corsa is a small car here in europe, not meant to have a heavy steering.

7.Once it makes transition is it an all or nothing setting, or is it
a gradual rise/fall in power/assist.

Gradual, no sudden change. The only sudden change you will feel is when you are going from a minimum setting(where the power steering is off) to when it kicks in on the low setting.

8. Is the unit affected by vibration. Will it stay in low speed,high
assist?(rigid motor mounts)

No issues generally with vibration, it will stay in the setting the adjustment knob is set at, but as usual with
electronics, excessive vibration can damage circuit boards if they are exposed to really extreme vibration.

9. Is there a minimum voltage to work the system. If it is below say
11 volts, will it default to one mode or the other, or shut down or
none of the above?

Will shut down at approx below 9 volts.

10. If there is a failure of the system for whatever reason, does it
default to the low speed setting or the high speed setting, or does it
just stop working and go to regular steering?

Failure mode will shut the system down and return to regular steering.

11. What kind of mileage/time can I expect form the unit?

If you are buying a full power steering column kit from us, the mileages vary a lot, however, our suppliers know our requirements and provide us with columns from cars with less than 100,000 miles. however, our columns are fully tested and inspected, and if we are in any way unhappy with a unit, it will not be used.

12.What are the conditions of the warrenty?
With our EPs unit (our electronic part) there is a full 2 year warranty, provided it has not been opened or filled with water (the 2 most common things people do with them)
If you have a problem with the column, ECU or one of its components a 12 month warranty is offered on this, provided again it has not been welded/cut or opened in any way. However, we understand that this work is needed sometimes to get them fitted to the car, so we will generally ask for you to return the column to us in these cases, in its modified state, we will repair it at cost price if the fault is found to be on your side, if it is a fault from the failure of our components, it is a free repair. We understand this is not really clear, but I can promise you, we do not rip off our customers as our reputation is critical to our business, but i'm sure you can understand we have often been returned faulty columns also where critical components have been cut off (we even had one customer who returned a column to us with half the power steering motor cut off.

If you think of any other concerns I might have please relay any
information you feel I would need.

no other concerns really, just to note, if you are welding in the column etc, try to take off the motor and ECU off the column before doing this work, and refit them afterwards, this reduced the chances of damaging anything during the welding process. As an alternative option though, we will have an EPS controller available in a couple of days for the following US market cars which may save you some money. the Saturn Ion, Saturn vue and Chevy Equinox.

Chevrolet Equinox power steering control unit (coming soon) - www.rallywiz.com - (Powered by CubeCart)
coming Soon - Saturn ION 2003 to 2006 model power steering control unit - www.rallywiz.com - (Powered by CubeCart)
Saturn Vue 2002 - 2007 Power Steering control unit - www.rallywiz.com - (Powered by CubeCart)

these may help you with sourcing a column locally if you prefer, and parts are available locally, however, we are more than happy to supply corsa columns also if required.

Hopes this helps.

Bill

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Great info on that. I had no idea so many cars had the EPAS units. The Saturn stuff looks good in that it appears to be the most compact of the ones I've looked at from this string. All good info!

The reason I'm so interested in this is that the 911 steering rack that I'm using is roughly 2 turns L-to-L (but the suspension arm design shorten it to this). It's very tough to steer for parking, and only moderately tolerable at normal city speed. Can't wait to check this installation out.

Some good points raised there Bill. Question four regarding a larger alternator. On a hot day with town driving the car will be drawing max current so its probably best to go for the bigger alternator.

Bob

Has anyone used or looked at the DC Electrics different units they make and sell?

Electronic Power Steering | Suspension & Steering | Motorsport | Home | Demon Tweeks

Here is one place that sells them, there are other places in the US also. Not sure if a retrofit unit is required or not for some places for inspections or not.

I was looking at one of there units as they seem small enough, to not cause many issues in the footwell, as these cars are very limited in that area.

Those commerical units will run you over $1000 regardless of who makes them. I have seem most if not all of them and they are high.
Bob, I think the message that I was trying to shoot for was will it be a drain on a "regular" alternator. Most of us run alternators in the 100-120 range (I think). I probably have more power drainers than a lot of guys. waterpump, two fuel pumps, 6 fans, security system,trans pump, ectronic ignition, 3 cameras, and keyless entry system along with the usual electrics. The only thing I don't have that most do is A/C and audio. My alternator has no problem keeping up. The one item you overlooked in the answers from Rallywiz was that the power drain will run from .2 to 10 amps. the 42 is if at full lock and more pressure is exerted to turn more. How often do you think that would happen. So I think that the drian would be fairly minimal. Keith's system only stays at low speed high draw for 30 seconds. Rallywiz says no compromise with their units and no upgrade is needed.
Maybe a 200 amp unit would last longer or would handle the draw better/easier? I would have to have some justifcaton to go that route. They aren't that cheap even out of a breaker yard.

Bill

Got the corsa C steering column back from the workshop, I had got them to make a bracket which will be welded to the chassis just behind the dash, as this bracket is functional, I kept the design very simple, it is quite a beast, 5mm steel, my worry now is, can I weld it to the chassis without blowing away the box section?

I show some pix of it simply taped to the column. I also got them to turn a collar for the top column bearing. When I got the column I removed the plastic and alloy casting from the top which had the steering lock, so needed to replace it with a simpler one. I may use another collar which fits over over this to allow me to attach an indicator stalk. My priority now is to get the bracket on the car so I can design the lower brackets and set the angles etc...

Attachments

• IMG01201-20130704-2024.jpg
    IMG01201-20130704-2024.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG01205-20130704-2204.jpg
    IMG01205-20130704-2204.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG01202-20130704-2026.jpg
    IMG01202-20130704-2026.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG01203-20130704-2026.jpg
    IMG01203-20130704-2026.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 454
Thanks Ian

Part of the problem is that I don’t have any speed or rev pulses, the speedo is mechanical. In due course I will look at taking an electronic pulse from the speedo to the EPAS.

I too am in the electronics game and with the help of a colleague have designed a simple microprocessor circuit that performs the following functions for my Corsa EPAS.

When the engine is started the circuit waits 10 seconds for the EPAS to initialise, during this period it sends no pulses to the EPAS.
After 10 secs the circuit outputs an engine rev pulse to let the EPAS know the engine is running, if the EPAS does not get this it turns off to conserve power, the circuit also outputs a ‘high speed’ pulse which puts the EPAS into the low assistance state (as if you are driving at 45+ mph). So you always have this low level of assistance.

Rather than an rotary knob our system uses a (momentary contact) push button, like a horn, push to make. If you press this button the circuit output goes to the low speed/high assistance state for 1 minute allowing you to park. After the minute it reverts automatically to the high speed/low assistance state. After the 1 minute, press again if you need more time to park, erhum.

Rotary potentiometers normally become be very noisy, remember the crackling of old radios when you turn the volume up/down, this will mean that after a while the signal to the EPAS from these ‘competitive’ systems can become unpredictable due to the resistance of the rotary potentiometer.

Ideally I wanted the system to be automatic but with no speed pulses this was ‘impossible’.
I did not want another knob on or near the dash.
I reckoned that the GT40 being relatively light at the front would be OK with low level assistance even at low speeds, so that’s what the circuit gives you.
If you ever happen to find yourself reverse parking, (you always have to assume reverse parking a ’40 in public will have an audience), then you have high assistance if you need it!

I will be selling these in due course. Keith

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Keith
It seems that his system is used by picking up / counting bolt heads on a prop / drive shaft with an induction sensor. Perhaps you could chat with Phil and come up with a goods system - the best of both!

No doubt more than one way to skin this cat but as far as electronics go as far as I am concerned I can twist two wires together to make a contact - anything more complex than that and I'm lost!

I guss I should have paid more attention when electronics and basics thereof were discussed in the physics lessons. But then again they also taught valves as well as the new fangles transistor thingies!

Ian

Ian, we had to use the new fangled transistor as the V8 and hard suspension vibration was killing the valve filaments. Picking up the ABS (although I don't presently have ABS on the car) and/or other pulses was an option, I wanted to see how the present system worked out. K

Last edited:
Back