Eric Smith RIP

Brian Magee

Supporter
Eric Smith, who had been suffering from Motor Neurone Disease and Dementia sadly passed away on Monday.

Many Enthusiast Club members may remember Eric as Club Chairman for several years and was the main force in reviving the Club in the early 2000's when membership had dwindled due to the actions of the previous chairman. Eric had retired from his job as a British Airways Jumbo pilot and was trying to get on with his GT40 project as well as helping out with the family equestrian stables. His '40 was never completed.

The cremation will take place on October 9th in Stourport. Anyone who may wish to attend, please contact me through a PM for further details.

Brian Magee.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Since I posted this sad information six days ago 127 people have read this post. I am astounded that not one single person has felt the need to show their sympathy for the death of a man who put so much effort into saving the GT40 Enthusiasts Club. Without his assistance the club would almost certainly have disappeared.

What more can I say.

Brian.

Brian,

I only just saw your thread about Eric's passing, and share your obvious disappointment at the lack of responses posted. We are all greatly indebted to Eric's efforts as chairman in keeping the club afloat and seeing it build in strength. As with Ron's contribution to the GT40 world with this forum, we would have been in a poorer place now without him.

My best wishes to his family.

Ronnie Spain

Keith

Hi Brian. I also have not seen this post before and normally I would refrain from replying if I didn't know the person, but in the absence of those who did know him may I offer my personal condolences to his family and close friends...

Organising an enthusiasts club of any marque is a thankless task, and I'm quite sure that without dedication from such as Eric, the club would not be where it is today.

Keith Hardy

Although I had not read this thread, and never met Eric, as the current Chairman of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club, I can inform everyone out there, that the committee had discussed how to best approach the family and I had sent & received emails from you Brian, seeking your views on how the club could pass on its condolences. I thank you for bringing this sad fact to our attention. In the defence of the forum, not all club members read it religiously the membership has naturally changed since Eric's days and I personally feel that quiet prayer is often better in such circumstances. Indeed, RIP, Eric Smith... Andrew

Sorry to hear of Erics passing. He was a really nice guy with a wonderful family. Joni and I wish only the best for Liz and their children during this sad time and into the future.

hi brian, sorry to hear about erics passing, he was a real gentleman, i always remember visiting one summers day and we shared figs from a fig tree he had growing it his garden. it was always a pleasure to talk with him. a real GT40 fanatic its a shame he never got to finishing his car. a sad day, regards,
dick townsend ( fellow gt40 enthusiast)

Back