F1 2008

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Darn!

I was hoping that Big Ron would make him the test driver - or something. I guess FA would have sued, claiming that they didn't uphold their end of the contract.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Stranger things happen, but the scenario of Ferrari paying Massa off or sending him to McLaren and taking in Alonso to partner Raikonnen could be a formidable ploy and partnership. Red Bull ?- they've certainly got the dosh to make it happen but how many years would they want? Would Alonso go anywhere offering a contract extending beyond a single year? I doubt it - unless it's the Scud (eria).
Just my thoughts. Of course something completely different will happen............

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I would love to see Ferrari attempt to deal with that pairing!

Over the last few years they have had it easy with Schumacher being the absolute #1 on the team - this would change things.

I see that Renault guy changing his mind about whether or not a team should favour one driver over the other....I took it to be an indication that Alonzo was on his way in there...

Hot off the press, sick bags at the ready!

Woking, 2nd November 2007: Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end.
The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team’s and Fernando’s 2007 Formula 1 World Championship challenge. Both parties believe that this was the right decision.
FERNANDO ALONSO:
"Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win. Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future."
RON DENNIS:
"Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, especially McLaren’s Spanish Partners Banco Santander and Mutua Madrileña and the team’s title partner Vodafone, want to wish Fernando all the best for the future. He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge."
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will announce any additions to its existing driver line-up in due course.

John

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
from feed me f1>
Although Ferrari have signed Felipe Massa, it seems contracts can be ripped up

Saturday 3rd November

As formula one fans digest the news that Fernando Alonso is back on the driver market, some of the sport's experts are split over whether the decision is a good move for the Spaniard or McLaren.
"He lost the world championship by one point and if he'd have thought hard enough over the winter I'm sure he could've come back fighting next year with McLaren against (Lewis) Hamilton," Gary Anderson, formerly technical boss at Jaguar and Jordan, told the Irish broadcaster Setanta.
It is speculated that the 26-year-old could be bound for Renault, Williams or Red Bull, while the favourites for Alonso's McLaren seat are Nico Rosberg and Heikki Kovalainen.
Anderson said he can imagine a move for Alonso to Red Bull.
"(Renault boss) Flavio Briatore basically manages Mark Webber, so it wouldn't be wrong to see Webber disappearing to Renault and Alonso's coming into Red Bull," he added.
Michael Schumacher, meanwhile, said last week that he doubts Alonso is limbering up for a switch to Ferrari -- even if he has to spend a season at a private team.
"I have to disappoint all of Fernando's fans -- I don't think anything will happen in that direction in the next three years," said Schumacher, a five time champion in a Maranello built car, and still a Ferrari advisor.
Legendary British commentator Murray Walker called the McLaren-Alonso split "a good thing".
"There's been a great deal of adverse publicity for the sport as a result of Alonso's petulance and attitude during the season," he told the Sun newspaper.
Walker would not, however, rule out a switch for Alonso to Ferrari.
"Although Ferrari have signed Felipe Massa, it seems contracts can be ripped up," the 84-year-old observed.
Fellow British commentator James Allen told the broadcaster ITV that he believes Alonso's short McLaren tenure damaged the Spaniard.
"The leaking of Alonso's grievances weakened his position in the paddock, as it made him look like a trouble maker," Allen said.
"Many teams were saying by the end of the season, that they would not want him anywhere near them."

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I would hope that McClaren have some say in where the jerk goes ( as in he can't go to a "major rival" or whatever that wording was) but that may just be wishful thinking on my part. I need to let go of that revenge stuff....if it were up to me I would enroll him in a one year anger management class.

As for who LH's new team mate will be next year, based on who is kind of available, my wishes are: Rosberg or Trulli, in that order.

I think Trulli is fast, experienced and patient - based on watching him endure these past few years.

As for Rosberg. Undeniably fast, gets along with LH, and has a daddy waiting in the wings to kick his ass when he screws up. Sir Frank has shown in that past that he will trade anyone anytime if the situation merits.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I would think RD would like another Englishman to Partner LH.;)
As far as Melbourne goes, all they have to do to revive attendances is bring back the V8 Supercars.
They were back at the Gold Coast this year and pulled record crowds for the Champ Car meeting

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
As expected Williams have announced Rosberg and former test driver Nakajima for 2008. It's called the 'least cost' option.

Last edited:
So the saga continues. According to BBC Sport Renault have been summoned befoe the FIA on December 6 to answer a charge of possessing confidential Mclaren material.

An FIA statement said Renault were accused of "unauthorised possession" between September 2006 and October 2007 "of documents and confidential information belonging to McLaren". That, it added, included "but [was] not limited to, the layout and critical dimensions of the McLaren F1 car, together with details of the McLaren fuelling system, gear assembly, oil cooling system, hydraulic control system and a novel suspension component used by the 2006 and 2007 McLaren F1 cars."

Brett

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
That is really funny.

I guess they may eventually "discover" that everyone "cheats" in all forms of racing.

F'ing idiots.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
It's old news though, RD accused Renault of having "several CD's" of McLaren data back in September.

Here is Flavio's response from then.

Renault boss Flavio Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport in September that he was confident the team would not be found to have done anything wrong, having cooperated fully with the FIA investigation.
"We told the FIA what we had, so there's no problem," said Briatore. "I don't know what Dennis refers to, he's throwing stones a bit everywhere. We are calm, no problem at all."

:yuck:
space.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
F1 at the island? That would be fun.

Australian circuit Phillip Island has expressed its interest in hosting the country's Formula One Grand Prix in the future if the event is moved on from Albert Park.
The future of the Melbourne event has been subject to great speculation this week following reports that Australian GP chairman Ron Walker has discussed the prospect of switching the race from its current home to a new base at Flemington Racecourse.
Although government officials have played down talk that they are evaluating whether to move the Australian event, the future of the race is set to be discussed next year as moves are made to cut its financial losses.
And now Andrew Fox, managing director of the Linfox Property Group that owns the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, has said he would be willing to upgrade his track to F1 standard in a bid to hold the race.
"We'd have a lot of work that would be required to make it an F1 standard, but I can guarantee we'd do it," Fox told the Herald Sun newspaper. "It is one of the best racetracks in Australia."
Phillip Island already holds MotoGP and World Superbike events, and Fox has said that he would need a 10-year F1 contract to justify the costs of an upgrade.
The Fox family is planning to build a 166-room, five-star hotel at the circuit and up to 500 residential villas alongside a Greg Norman-designed golf course.
If approval was given next year, the track could be ready for an F1 race in 2011, the year after the current contract with Albert Park expires.
Fox added that all it would take for talks to start was for Walker to contact him.
"The phone is on and the door is always open," he said.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Good news.

I wonder how Ferrari are going to prevent him from using what he learned during his tenure with them?

edit: spelling

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Some reports flying around that Big Ron has been nominated for a knighthood in the New Years Honour List for his services to motor racing. And pigs might fly......:dead:

The reports are adament that his nomination is not for 'Services to Sport'.rockonsmile

Back