F1 in 2012

Doc: It looks like you were across the S's from us. You must have been at the end of the back long straight. We were in the seats at turn 15 across the turns after the straight. My pictures are enclosed.

Attachments

• IMG_2514_1.JPG
    IMG_2514_1.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2574_1.JPG
    IMG_2574_1.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2600_1.JPG
    IMG_2600_1.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2635_1.JPG
    IMG_2635_1.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 177
Here is the youtube link from Vetels car showing the 2 legal passes and the one that was ilegal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuMZzI8pOz4]Sebastian Vettel passing Vergne under yellow flags Brazil 2012 Interlagos - Analysis - YouTube[/ame]

Keith

Whoa! Good find - bang to rights. The steering wheel display (which I was not aware of) clearly is the clincher. One question I have is that how is such a breach communicated? Via humint or electronically?

Which itself begs the question, was it reported or not, if not, why not and if so why was the penalty not given?

Looks like the fat lady is on her break....:stunned:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Guilty as charged.
Ferrari have mounted an appeal and if found in their favour ( and I don't think anyone will argue against them) Vetel will be demoted to 8th or below and Alonso will be the victor.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
If, however, the trainset master ( the midget) decides that he wants things to remain as they are , then Stefano D is wasting his time. Just a thought.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I'm unsure if RBR have paid the £10k bonus for the world championship to their staff but if they have it might be a bit difficult to claw it back. For a lot of the guys in the workshop and garage it would have been blown already.

Keith

Especially given the time of year and the fact they might have sussed they were perhaps on borrowed time!

I don't think the Austrian gentleman will be too impressed - Horner in the Corner?:knife:

Keith

"
Mark Webber is not worried about Sebastian Vettel losing his World title amidst reports that Ferrari could protest the Brazilian GP result.
Vettel won his third Drivers' Championship by three points ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso when he brought his RB8 home in sixth place in the season-ending Brazilian GP.
However, on his way to that P6 the Red Bull racer overtook Jean-Eric Vergne which may or may not have been done under yellow flags.
As such reports have emerged claiming Ferrari are "evaluating" the footage of the pass which could result in a protest.
And if that is successful, Vettel could be hit with a 20second penalty, dropping him to eighth and costing him the World title.
Webber, though, has brushed aside concerns for his team-mate's Championship acknowledging that Formula One bets would not be in Ferrari's favour.
"I think it's unlikely (an appeal will succeed)," the Aussie told AAP.
"I think the race is won. It's all over. I think everything should be all right."
Pressed as to whether his team should be concerned, he said: "I don't think so."

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm,
I no longer work in F1 in any capacity. My only involvement now is the W.E.C. Series courtesy of Audi Motorsport and in particular Rheinhold Joests team - Joest Racing GmbH,
which seemingly will include the 2013 season. Thereafter I may think of my options -there are some ideas mailing around - or I may just call it a day and start really annoying people.
I do occasionally respond to a beer call with a couple of chaps who are still active in f1 teams, but during the season it's more often an exchange of sarcastic emails.
I imagine you have your ear to the ground much more than I do anyway.
Best,
Dave

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Webber of course is just stating the Red Bull line. I also would rather the race be decided in the race rather than the courts. At the time the commentators could see the alleged offence and were talking about it. Interesting that it didn't go to air and neither did a replay. Good old YouTube came up with the goods. Even if the evil dwarf decrees that the championship is final the world will know that Alonso is the real champion.

Keith

And this is probably why:

The FIA has confirmed Sebastian Vettel did not break the rules concerning overtaking under yellow flags when passing Jean-Eric Vergne during the Brazilian Grand Prix. Ferrari confirmed they sent the FIA a letter requesting an investigation into whether Vettel illegally overtook the Toro Rosso on lap four on the Reta Oposta straight.
Yellow flags and lights prohibiting overtaking were visible in the run-up to the pass but a green flag indicating drivers could overtake was difficult to see
FIA race director Charlie Whiting told Auto Motor und Sport Vettel had passed a green flag before completing the move. The FIA later confirmed to Autosport the pass was legal.
Had Vettel been retroactively punished for the move, a penalty could have lost him the world championship to Fernando Alonso.

But they are not correct. When the above video was visible and available the yellow warnings lights and the word "flag" was clearly displayed on Vettels console when he passed Vergne (unless that video was doctored in some way)

Fix - as ever.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I believe that was a flag that a marshal waved midway down the long straight prior to the green light/sign at the end of the straight There are claims it was green, which if I understand the rules correctly, trumps the steering wheel indicator if there is inconsistency. Vettle passed this flag (which appears to be visible on the on-track camera view, looking toward the oncoming traffic, down the straight) prior to the pass. It appears the waving of that flag began just seconds prior to Vettle rounding the last turn prior to the straight.

Last edited:

Keith

Yes, that's it Terry but that can't be right surely. The Yellow Lights are connected to a transponder which signals a "foul" and you cannot tell me that a Marshall waving a green flag vaguely in a rainstorm supersedes that technology surely?

I'll be honest and say that it would be almost impossible to reverse the decision seeing how much gambling money must have changed hands, but personally, I'd just like to understand the rules which I clearly don't.

I also understand that our usual "sources" from within are being tight lipped.

Keith

From my own "informed sources" namely the second cousin of the guy that works in the kebab shops brother in law who met a guy in Aia Napa on vaction's sister's uncle who has a garage in Stoke on Trent and is related my marriage to the man that sweeps the roads outside FIA HQ, that's it.

The Fat Lady sings.

Normal (but inexplicable) service has been resumed. Vettel is champion.

Keith

That arena, I think you will find, is the unique territory of the "Fanboys"

So, it will quietly fade now I think...

As a genuine F1 fan, I have no affiliations except to a good race. Fanboys on the other hand buy all the merchandise and slag each other off in the manner of Association Football.

I would like to think there are none here like that, but, are you wearing scarlet underpants there do I see young Mark?

Back