F1 2008

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

While Michael Schumacher has been amusing himself setting the fastest times of the testing in Barcelona in recent days, there has been much interest further down the grid with a couple of new drivers in action. The most obvious of these was Karun Chandhok in a Red Bull who did a decent job alongside David Coulthard. Italian GP2 driver Luca Filippi, who was in action in a 2007 Honda RA107, which was being run for Honda by the Super Aguri test team. This seems to suggest that the Italian, who comes from a rich Italian family with interests in the trucking business, could be a candidate for the team, alongside Takuma Sato.
The team is looking for money and there are believed to be several groups that are interested in buying the team (and retaining Honda protege Aguri Suzuki) but any sale is going to be dependent on an agreement about the use of customer cars. This was agreed in principle at the Brazilian GP but, in the finest tradition of F1, was then un-agreed as soon as some of those involved left the meeting. The intention now is to have another meeting to get this - and therefore a new Concorde Agreement - in place before the end of the year.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bernie Ecclestone has today confirmed that after much speculation a contract has been signed this week with JPSK Sports Private Ltd, a subsidiary of Jaiprakash Associates Limited, to stage the first ever Formula One Grand Prix in India, to be held in The National Capital Region of New Delhi in 2010.

Michael Taub, who has been the driving force behind the project to bring F1 to India for the past ten years, has finally succeeded, along with Mr Sunder Mulchandani, in bringing this major event to a country of over a billion people.

Mr Manoj Gaur, the Chairman and CEO of Jaiprakash Associates Limited, and his brother Mr Samir Gaur, Managing Director of JPSK Sports Ltd, are very excited with being involved with the major brand of F1 and see this as being a huge attraction in India.

Bernie Ecclestone said: “India has always been known for its love of cricket, but F1 has been growing hugely in popularity in recent years as the viewing figures would suggest. Now with Vijay Mallya’s team, Force India, and the news that Karun Chandhok could soon be driving in F1, the announcement of the future Grand Prix in India will spark an explosion of further interest to rival that of the traditional sport.”

Keith

David see post #33 and 34 for explanation. It might be another year before Freewheel replies....boomsmile

Dave, so it's you then!

Keith,

Not quite a year, though since Dave clearly fits into the "old enough to know better, too old to care" bracket, I'll return to the thread.

Has anybody heard from Eddie Jordan in the last 18 months or so? What's he up to?

Any truth to the rumour that David Coulthard has recently been seeing a woman who's NOT a supermodel, or qualified to be?

Does anybody else think Williams is becoming the new Tyrrell? I really hope not, but there are disturbing signs about the place. Patrick Head has begun to look his age, possibly more, and while Frank is talking the talk, the bottom line is looking rather thin.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Freewheel,
I'm sorry. I do not have a clue what you are talking about down to the bit about EJ.
Maybe you could send me some of the substance you are using and I may, just, be able to work it out.
Dave M

Has anyone thought that the reason Ferrari performed so well in the final race (from my English and Italian friends) is that it was payback for Ferrari's support of F1 and Mr. Ecclestone?

Ciao
Dom

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Toyota Motorsport has announced that Timo Glock will race for Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2008. The reigning GP2 Series champion has signed a multi-year contract and the team hopes an agreement will be possible to allow Glock to test before the end of the year, hopefully at Jerez in the first week of December.
The 25-year-old German raced in F1 back in 2004 for half a season with Jordan but he then had to head to the United States where he made a great impression in Champ Car in 2005 before deciding to return to Europe to try to fulfil his F1 dream.
The news has been expected for some weeks but there were contractual problems between Toyota and BMW. These have now been resolved.

Can't believe there is still nothing definitive about FA, particularly as other drives will be contingent on where he goes.

Perhaps the other drives aren't as dependant as we think?

"Renault is not giving in during the negotiations with Fernando Alonso. As Timo Glock is announced with Toyota, Alonso has a destination less and Renault a weapon more in the contract talks. According to the Spanish newspaper 'Marca', Renault wants a three-year contract with the Asturian driver or nothing."

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I was told a secret today so I might as well share it with all of you: Dave Richards of Prodrive has been in discussions with Super Aguri and has been to their Leafield team factory and offices near Oxford. Dont tell anyone though.
Watch that space.......

Keith

I was told a secret today so I might as well share it with all of you: Dave Richards of Prodrive has been in discussions with Super Aguri and has been to their Leafield team factory and offices near Oxford. Dont tell anyone though.
Watch that space.......

Well said Dave. What's the point of having a secret if you don't tell anyone? :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
'Stepneygate' has taken on a new twist. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Stepney was being chased by Italian prosecutors and Ferrari for sabotaging Ferarri cars ahead of the Gp in
Monaco. The white powder found in Stepney's possession has now been analysed in the labs in Modena university.
The powder contained phosphate and calcium, the same as was found in Raikkonen's tank before it was loaded in the trucks to go to Monaco for the race.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave Richards has now gone on record saying that Prodrive will not enter F1 in 2008 and will wait until the current Concorde agreement expires and a new one is in place.

That could be a long wait........

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Super Aguri F1: sadly - just before Christmas they are announcing lay offs and re-assigning a number of staff in the last few days. The reason: lack of funding. As many as 30% the team is affected. Some are being moved to other positions and some offered work at Honda.
( They were hoping for a rescue package and to keep the team unchanged. No decision over customer cars means that the potential buyer, Dave Richards, is still waiting to see what happens with the Concorde agreement. Richards has now dismissed the idea of his company getting on the grid in 2008).

Last edited:
Back