F1 in 2011

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
MERCEDES have ramped up their bid for Grand Prix glory by taking over their Formula One team lock, stock and barrel.

Merc's parent company Daimler and their financial partners Aabar Investments have snapped up the remaining 24.9 per cent stake in Mercedes GP held by the team's management, led by Ross Brawn.
The deal gives Daimler and Aabar 100 per cent of the Silver Arrows squad.
And Merc boss Dr Dieter Zetsche said: "It sends a clear signal that we intend to achieve technical and sporting success on world motorsport's biggest and most important stage.
"Our company's founders invented the automobile 125 years ago and the very first Mercedes was a racing car.
"These are the reasons why we see our Formula One programme as an important element of our brand history."
The deal is a huge boost for Brawn, who will remain in charge of the racing team, and drivers Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg.
It means Mercedes are in F1 for the long haul and will throw everything at trying to combat the gremlins that have blighted the squad's pre-season testing.
Daimler first purchased a 45.1 percent stake in the team, then Brawn GP, in November 2009.
Brawn hailed the total takeover as "a further step in the consolidation and strengthening of our team for the future".
He said: "I remain fully committed for the long-term, along with the management team and all of our employees."
Merc's motorsport chief Norbert Haug added: "This lays the foundations for a successful long-term involvement at the pinnacle of motorsport."

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ferrari tweaks car's name again<!-- end title -->

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=news_article_author vAlign=top width="50%" align=left><!-- credit --><!-- end credit --></TD><TD class=news_article_date width="50%" align=right>Friday, March 4th 2011, 18:44 GMT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1299265931.jpg
Ferrari has made a further adjustment to the chassis name of its 2011 Formula 1 car after settling its disagreement with Ford.
The car had originally been designated the F150, a title chosen to mark the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy. But this prompted a complaint from Ford, which feared the name would cause confusion with customers as it has a popular truck design known as the F-150.
Ferrari then said it would switch to a full version of the car's name and use F150th Italia instead, and today Ford announced that the matter was settled.
But Ferrari has subsequently revealed one final tweak, saying the chassis will now be known as the Ferrari 150° Italia.
The name was announced in a sardonic 'Horse Whisperer' column published on Ferrari's website.
"It might seem like a Kafkaesque scenario, but the affair relating to the name of the car with which Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa will tackle this year's Formula 1 World Championship saw its final and decisive episode played out these past few days with the concomitant withdrawal by Ford of the summons. Therefore common sense has prevailed," said the column.
"In order to avoid the slightest risk of anyone confusing a Formula 1 car with a pick-up truck, for their part, the men from Maranello have decided that the car will lose the F that precedes the number 150 and which stands for Ferrari, as it has done on numerous occasions when it's come to giving a car a code name, be it for the race track or the road.
"It appears that this could have caused so much confusion in the minds of the consumer across the Pond that, at the same time as losing the F, the name will be completely Italianised, replacing the English 'th' with the equivalent Italian symbol.
"Therefore the name will now read as the Ferrari 150° Italia, which should make it clear even to the thickest of people that the name of the car is a tribute to the anniversary of the unification of our country.
"Let's hope the matter is now definitely closed and that we can concentrate on more serious matters, namely ensuring that our car that already seems to be pretty good out of the box, becomes a real winner

I agree with Ron, F1 has become/is becoming a total farce, this includes the FIA controlling on car devices ( like where you can/cannot use the movable rear wing and KERS devices, and now we know Eccles has lost the plot completely with " lets make it rain " scenario.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not to sure about this "random" rain thing.

But that said, I have watched hundreds & hundreds of GP's and I must say that a large % of the good ones had rain involved.

Maybe they should water all the tracks all the time. This would automatically slow the cars, help with passing and even up the chassis.

I's no coincidence that most (but not all) of the "great drivers" were also known as rain masters.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Agreed Jim, but Bernie has always thought he was God, now he is trying to act the part. Lets make it rain, what total crap! It would put David out of business for a start.
P.S.
I do hope the evil one was mis-quoted.

Pete,

I heard it on a sports channel last night. Maybe they should add two or three chicanes to every track or better yet figure eight tracks.
Dave

That's why NASCAR is a better race series to watch. Yes they may not be the hi-tech wonders of F1 but at least they give us good door to door racing that's entertaining to watch.
F1 has long been a follow the leader race series. Go take a pee or get a beer or walk the dog, chances are nothing will have changed. All of that hi-tech stuff that will never show up on a car that most of us will ever be able to own.
I would love to see NASCAR race on more road tracks, when they do it's great fun to watch. I also think that the AMLS is a better watch with fantastic door to door bang them up action. I'll watch either before watching F1. Although F1 on a Sunday morning is better than going to church.
Any way, just my 2 cents.
Bill
PS we got buried by 2 feet of snow over night.

Are there rules and regulations, yes there are. I just think cars that are able to mix it up during a race is more entertaining to me.I do watch F1 here on Sunday mornings and enjoy the racing. I just wish there was a way to promote side by side racing, more over taking and just a better show, after all it is a show isn't it?

Back