Factory Five's Quasi-Clone

Factory Five\'s Quasi-Clone

Factory Five has released photos of their new GTM, which is sort of a GT40 clone that uses C5 Corvette suspension and engine, and a Porsche G50 transaxle.

Comments?

3779a.jpg

3792.jpg

3616.jpg

3815.jpg

Bill D

Re: Factory Five\'s Quasi-Clone

Looks good, a bit like someones sat down heavily on the rear end though.
Looks a lot like a '40 from the overhead view. Where do you suppose they got the screen from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They probably extended the wheelbase so that you couldn't
buy the kit and then drop a GT40 body shell on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

All we need, another competitor for the Porsche G50s out there, right? :). I would see this as a more affordable competitor to the Ultima really. I think the people who are drawn to the GT40 are motivated by a different set of factors than those drawn to midengine sports car in general.

Although there are some similarities to a GT40 (and I guess you'd have to work at not having any since it is the quintessential midengine sports car), I think it looks more like the Daytona Prototypes of the GrandaAm series.

Lynn

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

Yea Adam,

Say it like it is, I second that opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Adam

I've seen lot's worse...but I am disappointed over
their final choice. Obviously styling is a subjective
issue, but I think they tried to incorporate too many
elements of different vehicles.

To me the real tragedy lies in the fact that if not
for Caroll Shelby's ego/greed, this would have been a
GT40 replica.

MikeD

Looks like they've made progress since their last press release.

Lynn, I think you hit it with their target market. I've been going back and forth between a '40 and an Ultima, I like both for different reasons. But I'm detered by the expense. (With a new infant and some school loans, discretion is winning over impulse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

It would be nice to have a ~$40-50k performance car rather then a ~$70-80 performance car in the marketplace. More sound competition is a good thing. FF has a pretty solid business model and following.

Although a v8 is more practical, the ripping silk sound of a v12 would be more in character with that car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The one thing I really like about the '40 is the engine bay with a plexi top. A styling statement that the Ultima misses IMHO.

A sorry immitation. Although on it's own merit I think it's not that bad, up to the B pillar. Looks like they just couldn't finish the back end with any style.

It could just be the photo, but it sure doesn't look to have much rear tire.

Agree with JWhat, it's fine up to the B-pillar but I don't care for the rear styling. I can appreciate that they were probably trying to maximize visibility out the rear window, but the "end result" doesn't work too well, IMHO.

The backend looks like someone took an Audi TT Coupe and added huge fender flares.

Howard Jones

Supporter

I like it without the bodywork....... Except the chevy.....and the quad exaust, and the big trans tunnel between the seats, and the....... Well I like the windshield..........

You know, for less than $20K it might be worth buying and
reverse engineering to see if a 40 body can be placed on it.
Sell the GTM body and other goodies to recoup some of the cost
and ...

Ian

Ian

The latest change increased wheelbase from 95 to 98"....
so I suspect hanging a GT40 body would not be easy.

MikeD

MikeD,

I know, but I wonder if the suspension mounts can be relocated
3" back. There seems to be some room, and according to Factory
Five, all they did was move it 3" forward from the last design.

(edit) Correction, they added 3" between the driver's
compartment and the wheels. I wonder if it can be cut
and rewelded ...

Ian

Yuck! Kind of reminds me of what they call a 'decaf skinny latte' at Starbucks... A "why bother"!

Ron Earp

Admin

It appears to me that they got a rear glass from some "semi-rare" domestic car, I don't know what, just something that everyone would not recognize, then designed the entire rear of the car around it. The end result is, as mentioned, good to the B Pillar then goes to hell. IMHO of course.

It's interesting how many cars that I thought were jaw-dropping gorgeous 5 years ago just don't cut it for me any more. I've been spoilt by the uncompromising lines of the GT40 me thinks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyone dare to guess how flexible one might have to be to get in to and out of this car given the lack of GT40 style cut-outs in the roof?

Back