Ferrari / GT40 Comparison

Dumb question, I was recently in Italy and had the chance to drive two Ferraris on the roads above Maranello. The first was a 355 and the second the new 458. The 355 as you know was the first car with limited electronics. The 458 has the new Getrag DCT transmission and full traction control.

The 355 has a small engine with great revs and limited torque. The 458 has great HP and a very good torque band with power throughout the range.

Has anyone driven the 355 and a GT40, and how do the two compare. Let's assume that I would use the vehicle on the street and not used on the track.

The GT40 would have more torque, lower revs and give the feeling of being faster.

Can anyone share the experience?

Thanks

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have not driven an F car since a 365 Daytona years ago, but the comparison is faulty, the GT40 is a RACE CAR that can be street driven, the 355/360/420 etc. are street cars than can be raced. There is a very big difference, although on the surface it might not appear so.

As an everyday driver the Ferrari will probably be superior, more comfortable, rides softer (with the shocks on the soft setting from the Manetto on the wheel) etc. But for pure cussed' fun the GT wins hands down.......

My son test drove a 420 Spider in Maranello a few weeks back, now he is waiting for our GT40 demo to be done for a direct comparison!

We were probably there at the same time, and rented the cars from the same place. No, the Spider was rented by the other shop in town. The guy who rented our car had a great 25 year old Brazilian girl. Wish I was back there !!

I look forward for his comparison.

Thanks for the comments.

I've driven 355's, 360's and 430's. Any comparison of these to a GT40 seems strained to say the least. They are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The f-cars are highly sophisticated, high strung, extremely expensive to maintain, low torque/high hp, and come with loads of creature comforts. A GT40 has virtually no creature comforts, high torque, little weather protecion, good simple design and a definite kit car feel compared to a production vehicle. They're completely different in every possible way.

I think you'll find the ride quality of the f-car is considerably better than most any GT40 - it should be, with active suspension and completely modern design. On the track, a well set up GT40 will go by a 355 easily on the straight and hang with it on the twisties. A 430 is harder to get by on the straight but still passable.

Are you seriously looking at buying a 458? What's the sticker? Around $200K?

I'd go for a Ford GT and put $60,000 in the bank, but that's just me!

Thanks guys. I was tour guiding a cousin and his family around Italy, and we stopped in Maranello. His 23 year old twins are car guys (so is my cousin) and wanted an F drive. As I was about to have a big bday, my cousin convinced me to go along with the lads on a drive. I was just curious how the cars compared.

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I agree with Cliff Beer what comes to the differences between the cars.

If you are used to driving a Ferrari 360 og 430 you will NOT be satisfied with a GT-40 without knowing what kind of a car this is. It is hot, both dust and water is coming into the car, it is a LOT of noise andt there is ALWAYS something to fix or sort out.

And it is just wooonderfulllllll and a lot of fun!!!

This differences also results in a HUGE weight difference that gives the GT 40 an edge on the track. I have been racing with different F-cars on trackdays on several occasions, and my SPF MKII with Roush 427R is faster then a 430 Scuderia around the track. It is really amacing how well the old GT-40 design keeps up with new supercars. Even the Porsche Carrera GT had a hard time keeping up with the GT-40.

best regards
Trond

Thanks all for the comments. I can appreciate Trond's comments. The Ferraris are pretty comfortable, and I am sure very expensive to maintain. I can see the race car heritage of the GT40 (no matter whose), the noise, dust, water etc and can appreciate just how the light weight really helps push the car around very very quickly. Bet the GT40 is a lot of fun on public roads (assuming one can avoid the temptation).

I owed a Ferrari 328GTS for many years and although it was a great car I would never buy another one. Not only is the cost to maintain one a joke, but the rules set by the dealership (only Ferrari dealership in area) on maintaining one was a joke. I sold it and in the near future I will be in the market to have a GT40 built with a Ford engine. If you decide to buy a Ferrari just make sure you have a reliable independent mechanic.

i have a CAV GT40 and 430 spider, also have alot of miles in both a scuderia and 16M. even comparing the 430 to the 16M is a stretch. the 40 is a just a completely raw, noisy torque monster. i get the opportunity to drive the 430 and the 40 on the same day, both have their favorable traits. the wow factor, hands down to the 40, with the 16M close behind.

my experience so far is the ferraris are cheap in comparison to the 40. the ferraris have been "bullet proof" with regards to maintenace. other F car models maybe not so much, but the 430 family, no worries.
thats my 2 cents
cal

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I think Pete on this Forum has both a F355 and a DRB GT40, so could chime in here with his thoughts.

As Dalton says I have a F355 and a DRB GT40, the two are at different ends of the spectrum. The F355 is a tractable road car, comfortable and quiet except at the top of the rev range, when that lovely Ferrari howl comes into play. In sport mode it will hold its own on a track day, but the GT40 is much more a race car, will kick the Ferrari's arse in a straight line and stay with it on the twisty bits.
I built the GT40 to be a daily driver, with cruise control, air conditioning, a good sound system, sound proofing, carpets etc. Frankly I do not enjoy driving it in peak hour traffic, it doesn't overheat or anything, but I feel like it is not good for the car. It is great on the open road and a very nice Grand Tourer.
The cost of maintenance on the Ferrari is horrendous with cam belts needed to be changed every three years regardless of the miles you have done and that requires you take the engine out. Ferrari charge like wounded bulls for parts.
With the GT40 just change the oil and put it on the dyno every now and then.
Two completely different cars. Both have appeal and that "Look at me" quality.
If I had to part with one it would be the Ferrari not the GT40.

Attachments

• DSCN0501.JPG
    DSCN0501.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Regarding the Ferrari cost of ownership tere is a huge difference from the 360 model and up compared to the older cars. The 360 and newer models are the same as "ordinary" cars what comes to service, and i think they run up to 25.000km between the service. Also the service is more normal, without the need to take everything into pieces. We have had 360, 430, 430 challenge and 612 in the family and none of theese had any trouble or "horrible" service cost. But of course, when compared to running a good old american V8 everything is expensive!

Trond

Thanks guys for the comments !!

I now have a better feel on the cars. One of these days, I'd like to get a ride in a GT40 !!!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi someone sent me a PM re cruise control and I accidentally deleted it.
If you would PM me again I will supply all the detail I can. But the simple answer is, the cruise control kits are available from places like Auto Barn and are simple and easy to fit. Just follow the instructions and wiring diagram carefully. The major benefit to me is it keeps me within the speed limit.

Back