First Roll Out!!

Chris Duncan

Supporter
After 6-1/2 years of blood, sweat, and swear words, of essentially working 2 jobs, of a big box full of back tracked botched parts, of neglected yard work and other sundry shelved projects and pastimes, finally got to drive this machine. It's just like a big hi-po go-cart, I think cuz you're sitting so low. The most torquey thing I've ever driven. Start off in 2nd gear easy. P E R M A G R I N !

First trip out ran out of gas because the gauge senders weren't calibrated, said 1/4 tank when it was empty, thought I'd checked that, apparently not. Apparently the super rich first map sucked up the initial 3 gals. in no time. Got kind of flustered and nervous in the F.O.R.D. position. If I hadn't been might have just switched tanks and continued on. Called my buddy and he rope towed me back to the garage. Tow hook came off en route and tore both fan blades and put a nice chunk in the $900 radiator. Well some new fan blades and the rad isn't leaking, little touch up paint, so it's just a beauty mark, you can't see it anyway unless you know it's there.

2nd drive had my other buddy, who's just gaga on this car, follow me in his pickup. Brought a tow rope (WITH NO HOOKS) We hit the local cruise spot and just parked for a while. You can really tell a lot about people by their reaction to this car. First you separate the car lovers from regular folks, then you separate the people who know the marque. It seems that car lovers of all types sort of let their guard down right away and you can have a nice conversation right from the get go.

The thing is still in gray primer but everyone seems not to care, but many ask what color it's going to be painted. I have painted the wheels. One side fluorescent green with blue spinners, the other a dark blood red with gunmetal spinners. These colors split about 50/50 between everyone's preference.

I'm driving it in primer to sort out any problems with the prep work. Had a nightmare once before with some spot putty swelling up after final paint. Already justified in that there's a couple of blisters in front of the top exhaust vent even with some heat shielding. Need better shielding and attention to possible air pockets in the body/primer work.

The Gen 7 was problematic to get it to the moderately driveable point. First I couldn't get the FAST distributorless to share the cam sync signal with the Gen7. Resolved by setting the Gen7 to batch. Then generic Gen7 startup software settings were all for 4 barrel Tbody setups (unstated), it was running WAY too rich. After re-drawing the supplied Gen7 wiring diagram (hard to read) in ACAD and giving it to the guys at Accel they were real nice and sent me a 8 barrel map (400ci). I tweaked it down a little for the 302, It still has a miss on transitory throttle but it's driveable. Going to tune with the G-TECH/Pro Homepage before big $$$ on the dyno.

The steering/suspension settings seem good. It's lighter parking steering than my Civic which is also non PS. It steers very quick but seems to track well at speed. Track time and the G-meter will tell on performance.

The rear view is just like everyone said, very limited. I also made the roof roll bar wider in the center which makes it even harder to turn around when backing, a camera may be in order.

Came in at 2170 lbs wet weight (no driver) which justifies all the hours spent in designing and fabricating lighter pieces all around. I spent days probably just drilling lightning holes.

The footbox is crowded going to have to get some racing shoes. The brake pedal effort is fine but the left front is locking up first but doesn't seem to pull that much.

Gobs of torque/throttle response/acceleration but the speedo needs calibration, think I'll register it first before driving it much more. Going to be hard explaining to the officer why the plates come up for something else, "hey that's not a Honda Civic!!".

Only thing could be better would be a group ride, and Neal already knows everyone so we're going to hook it up.

YEEEEEEEEHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (originally from Texas:D)

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Chris...hate to say it but no pics...didn't happen...:D

Well done ...you certainly deserve to appreciate your hard work....

Last edited:
Kalun,

Great Chapter I...........Good job telling the story about your first ride!

Keep sharing your upcoming Chapters of your experiences. I believe many folks on this forum will "remember back in the days" when they had their first ride, and it will bring back memories for them.

I know for me, the first time I drove the Cobra, I had a really nice Oregon State Trooper pay me a visit, and told me the next time I take it out, it better have more than open headers, and better have a registration in place. He was really a nice guy, and I never got a ticket at least from him.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Bravo and congrats. Can't wait to see the pics!

Perhaps we'll have to set up a Northwest get-together ala Howards before the end of the summer... any of you characters up for a drive to the north side of Snohomish County?

Dreams do come true.

T.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Excellent!

Now get some pics so we can see all of you handy work ;)

Sandy

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
KalunD,

As one of the earliest member of GT40s.com and one of the most helpful members we've had---Congratulations and accolaids are indeed well deserved. When I tell someone that I built it, I always have to qualify that to tell them I startes with a cage and body. Kalun can say, "I built it" with no caveats needed. GOOD ON YA!!!! WAY TO GO!!!

Sincerely,
Lynn

Congratulations! I am hoping to have the same tale the end of the Summer if I can quit traveling for work. I would like to meet you since we are both in Seattle, you Neal and I can have a great road trip. Please post some pictures and once again congratulations.

Steve

postpics%5B1%5D.gif

Chris Duncan

Supporter
....a few more words per Paolo's request.

---------------------------------------

"Four things greater than all things are,
Women and Horses and Power and War." Kipling

From an early age it's always been a fascination with horse powered devices, but of a more modern type horse than Kipling speaks of. Specifically wheeled ones. The first batmobile with jet exhaust and various other hot rods, drag cars and bikes of the 60's. The opened wheeled Indy cars, your father letting you steer and shift the family ride from his lap. Some wooden push go-carts with racing decals, like STP and Goodyear.

We never had enough money to realize the dream of a powered go-cart, although came as close as a crude angle iron plywood frame and some pneumatic wheels and tires from the hardware store, until the alcoholic stepfather returned them for beer money. And this was after spending literally days cutting the angle iron into suitable pieces, picture a 12 year old with a cheap dull hacksaw. So guessing it was that depravation that led the drive for collecting machinery later in life.

There was bicycles of course which led to motorcycles and with the first good job, racing go-carts. This went well for about 5 years until rules changes meant shorter lived engines and the fun to dollar ratio got too outrageous. At some point got into road racing bicycles and was totally absorbed. Having engaged in several kinds of racing do believe road bikes are the most intense. But a bad knee from a previous motorcycle crash abruptly ended the promising bike racing career after only one good year.

The heart was torn hard so all the angst was directed back into cars. People are amazed when you tell them you build cars from scratch but it's just a progression of experience. From cleaning the lawnmower and taking apart clocks to fixing up bicycles, motorcycles, then cars. Just refurbishing at first, restoration, then small amounts of customization. A bolt in engine swap a spoiler or flares, then more radical stuff like a 240Z engine in a 510 or a Vette V8 in a Z. And then on to copying an entire frame and custom suspension.

Eventually you get to kit cars, replicas if you will, because with sweat equity you can achieve the otherwise un-affordable. In '89 or so saw my first photo of a GT40 in one of the chronology books and it was love at first site even though I'd never seen one for real. With one chassis already under the belt wanted to step up to the GT40 but the time wasn't right. It's a very crowded and complex car from a build standpoint and at the time nobody was selling bare bodies in the states, which is all that could be afforded. So the next best thing was done and I built a Cobra. With a scratch chassis and partial scratch suspension. But this was just a build exercise that would lead to the GT40 which it seemed was the epitome of the horses that we speak of.

Once in a great while a lumbering behemoth like Ford engages in an intense effort to be the best in the world and something like the GT40 is the result. A chance culmination of some of the top minds of the day in a concentrated effort combined with the stars somehow aligning results in something as close as possible to perfection.

KVA sold out to Integrity and then when Integrity was going under they were looking to unload this body that had originally been produced by KVA. Since the only other US option in the mid 90's was ERA and they weren't selling bare bodies, took the chance site unseen on this body in Florida. Met them more or less halfway in Salt Lake City and with a non stop round trip picked it up with my Civic and utility trailer. It's sort of like a big rig in that you're downshifting a lot on the hills. We had some high winds also and the body was stacked on end to fit the little trailer and acted like a sail. Down to as low as 3rd gear at times. Got a younger friend to go along as co-driver and he took longer turns so I owe him a drive when I'm done.

Have been pleased with the KVA body, it seems it was a little thinner/lighter than the bodies that Integrity did later. The mid 90's also brought the internet (GT40s forum RULES!), a bigger garage, and mill/drill and a lathe, all indispensable in a project of this scope. Also a move to Seattle with a race track with historic racing brought access to the real cars. So after 5 years of only pictures got to finally see the real thing... Got to measure and take detailed pics which is also valuable in the build.

....to be continued

Side note,

Went to the historic races this weekend, last minute idea, got in the car corral (show) and got 2 parade laps in with the Mustangs. Really good response from all the car lovers including people familiar with the real cars. After the races Sunday hanging around with my buddy with the MK-V. He knows everyone there... so I comment, hey I saw at least 4 Ford GT's. No dude you're wrong there were twenty-two Ford GT's here this weekend! So there's this gunmetal GT just sitting there next to these big trailers and I ask if I can park my replica next to it and take pics, because the guys at work won't believe me without photographic evidence.

So of course my buddy knows the guy and says it's okay. So I pull up alongside and take some pics. Meanwhile this young kid comes out and starts chatting with my buddy but I'm distracted looking at this GT. My buddy then says it's okay to sit in it so I climb in. So I'm sitting there checking everything out. My friend and the kid are chatting and I'm still not listening cuz of being distracted. Then I hear the kid say... "the keys are on the dash." WHOA! WHAT DID HE JUST SAY? It sort of doesn't register at first, doesn't compute. I think the kid senses my confusion/bewilderment. He must have seen it before so he repeats. "The keys are on the dash" On a total spur of the moment the hottest chick in the mall just said meet me in my bedroom.

So sitting there (adrenaline pump, nervous, deep breaths) learning the shifter and pedals first because the shifter is really short throw and a stiff reverse which makes you think 3rd is 1st and you kill it on start up. And then the father/owner walks up and they start teasing me that the father will want to drive my replica. Then the owner pats me on the shoulder and says, "just go".

Just around the half empty parking lot in 1st and 2nd gear. But enough to get a feel for the beast. Get it pointed straight on flat ground and just half throttle and low R's, but I got a taste. And out of the blue a stranger has let me drive his GT. Still can't believe it, please punch me I must be dreaming. A lot more respect for the GT now. The first impression was it's just a rehash of the original, but think it's more a champion in it's own right, just taking the original design to the current level of cutting edge technology.

So the owner is just this really nice guy and he actually drives the thing, it's got 37K on the clock, and he tells a story. See he's cruising on the I-10 in New Mexico and these 2 staters pull alongside and they pace for awhile then the cops signal for him to romp on it. But he signals to them they should go first. So the cops hit it and get up to about 130mph. Meanwhile the GT is just in 3rd gear (6 speed). So the cops signal, that's all we got. Then he romps on the GT and leaves them bigtime. So they all pull off the next exit and into the gas station and.... "We're going for a drive, here's the keys, you're driving." He lets both the cops drive the thing about 10 miles each. Make my day dude, make my day. Fan for life.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Kalun,

I think yours is the sort of biography that is generic to many of the scratchbuilders on this forum.

We'd love to see examples of your work and fabrication, chassis, suspension etc. Also let us into some of the spec.

What's with the no photos?:bash:

Cheers,

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Kalun,

I was right. That WAS your car late yesterday afternoon parked near the Jim Click trailer. Left a note for you but it must've blown off in the wind.

As for everybody else, this car's for real. A nice piece of craftmanship which did nothing but attract attention -and photographers- while I was attempting to hunt this man down and say hello in person. Hopefully in the near future.

Congrats again. Beautiful work.

T.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Kalun,

What's with the no photos?:bash:

Cheers,

I'm sort of apprehensive superstitious about photos out in the public. But I do have a website with lots of photos that'll I'll PM the address to anyone that wants. It's about 2 years behind the build but I'm going to take a day off and update it here shortly.

Back