Fling SLC Build Thread

Michael Fling

Supporter
The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about adding a vent there as well.

Do you have a PIC of your plenum?

This was before connection to spyder. I'll get another pic next time the center spyder is removed.

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

Michael Fling

Supporter
SIDETONE:

As I have mentioned, my son Tyler is a driver/coach at Porsche. I am headed back out there in March to drive a 911 GTS. I have previously driven a GT3 and Turbo 911 with him. Those are both amazing cars (I preferred the handling of the T911 with the AWD over the GT3, but the GT3 is a much sexier looking car). So I got a call today from Tyler. I could hear the engine noise in the background when I answered. He said "you are not going to believe what I am driving". It was the new Gen 2 911. They got the first US delivery. As you know they have all gone to twin turbo with "push to pass". He said... "you don't want to drive the GTS, you want to drive this Gen 2". He was amazed by the performance. Can't wait to see it.
BTW- they are looking into a program where you can take your own car on their track. if that works out, I intend on taking the SLC (if I ever get it finished).

Mike

If you bring your SLC to Atlanta, you should see if there is an event at Road Atlanta to drive the SLC. The track is only about an hour form the Porsche track. Let me know when and I can check sources for you and or give you some target dates.......it's an awesome track and definitely a bucket list item. I have driven it many many times.....albeit Corvette style.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Modifying the lower portion below the lights... I'll post when complete. Because if I don't do everything on the car at least 3 times... it just isn't right!:shout:

I liked the first version with the Mustang tail lights, but this looks really good too. I know what you mean about doing stuff 2-3 times, I am working on my 4th style for the headlights, Ugh.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Here is the link to Susquehanna Motorsports: Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP. I also have a few accessory dome lights in the order. FYI- when the brake lights portion is on, the entire LED ring does not light... only 1/2 of it. I enquired with SM and they said that is how they function. I oriented mine so that they light on the upper 1/2 of the LED ring. My guess is they initially designed them to possibly be a running light/turn signal combo?

Hella 9001L Series LED Signal Lamp, 60mm
Function
2 x HL00141 - Amber Turn - $35.60
9001L-HL00141 2 $194.00
Hella 9001L Series LED Signal Lamp, 60mm
Function
2 x HL00142 - White Reverse
9001L-HL00142 2 $158.40
Hella 9362 Series LED Ring Tail/Brake Light Module
Function
4 x HL36204 - Red LEDs, Red Lens
9362-HL36204 4 $501.52
Hella Accessories for 9362 Series Signal Lamp
Style
4 x HL08500 - Silver
9362A- 4 $49.24
Hella 9001A Accessories for 9001 Series Lamp
Style
4 x HL11900 - Mounting Plate
9001A 4 $11.96
Hella 9805R Slimline Series Round LED Courtesy Lamp
LED Color
2 x Hi-Intensity White
Bezel
2 x Stainless Steel - $3.52
Spacer
2 x No Spacer
Voltage
2 x 12 Volts
HL50-05-2 2 $63.52
Hella Connector 90mm City Lamp, 9362 and 9001 Series Lamps
Model
4 x HL15080 - Two Conductor Version
AMP110- 4 $15.00
Hella Connector 90mm City Lamp, 9362 and 9001 Series Lamps
Model
4 x HL58180 - Three Conductor Version - $3.00
AMP110- 4 $18.00
Subtotal $1,011.64
Shipping & Handling $31.34
Grand Total $1,042.98

Here is the link to Susquehanna Motorsports: Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP. I also have a few accessory dome lights in the order. FYI- when the brake lights portion is on, the entire LED ring does not light... only 1/2 of it. I enquired with SM and they said that is how they function. I oriented mine so that they light on the upper 1/2 of the LED ring. My guess is they initially designed them to possibly be a running light/turn signal combo?

Do you have the wiring diagram for the entire brake light? it would be nice to know if we could make them work as a complete ring.

Cheers,

Tom

Mike

Way back on post 205, brake lines there is the bulkhead adapter with a 3/8x24 thread on the inside and I bet a 3AN male adapter on the outside. I presume you continued with SS brake line on the outside (aka connecting to the 3AN male adapter). If so, how did you transition from the 3AN male bulkhead adapter back to 3/8x24 male threaded brake line connectors. Cant seem to make that transition.

Michael Fling

Supporter
A few more looks... I am liking it!

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

The front bonnet is hinged for easy opening. I have modified wheel well openings to allow easy access for removal/maintenance of the OEM headlights.

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8645.jpg

Excellent work Mike! Looks really good. What did you use to reinforce your splitter? Is that all just fiberglass, or did you sandwich some foam? Can you show some detail pics of how the front hinge attaches to the bodywork? I'm still undecided on how to handle the front end hinging, splitter reinforcement, and securing the front clip. I really like what you have done.

Is the silver bracket in the headlight opening a reinforcement or conduit, or both?

A.J.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Excellent work Mike! Looks really good. What did you use to reinforce your splitter? Is that all just fiberglass, or did you sandwich some foam? Can you show some detail pics of how the front hinge attaches to the bodywork? I'm still undecided on how to handle the front end hinging, splitter reinforcement, and securing the front clip. I really like what you have done.

Is the silver bracket in the headlight opening a reinforcement or conduit, or both?

A.J.

The splitter is only fiberglass.

Refer to post #257 and there are detailed pics of front hinge. I would consider this a MUST. (http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/39723-fling-slc-build-thread-13.html) The hinges mount to the splitter which is mounted to the body work. I also fiberglassed "tunnels" inside the headlight buckets that carry air from the front inlets, through the head light buckets, and then into a flexible hose that can carry air to the rotors.

The silver bracket is simply for reinforcement. I made fiberglass buckets that the OEM headlight fit in to. These are then secured to the body with square aluminum tubing. I tapped and panel bonded metal blocks for the tubing to bolt in to.

Back