Fling SLC Build Thread

Michael, I live in Tulsa and would love to stop by and check out the car sometime if you're open to it. Your build is extremely impressive so far and I can't wait to see the finished product.

I have been in limbo waiting on the Autometer Sportsman LCD dash unit. I finally gave up and I have decided to go with their more expensive model. That solidifies what I am doing to the dash, which allows me to continue with the interior mods.

LCD Competition Dash

I love this dash. Been drooling over it for a couple years now. Can't wait to hear how the install goes.

Michael Fling

Supporter
New tail lights in place. Really makes the back end look wide!

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

IMG_7819.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The lights are cool. Just change the vents on either side of the license plate. They are too bulky looking (the frames). Your eye is drawn to them instead of the lights.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
The lights are cool. Just change the vents on either side of the license plate. They are too bulky looking (the frames). Your eye is drawn to them instead of the lights.

My impression as well....narrower width of the frames or, if not feasible, black anodize......or both?..... just my two cents...

Tail lights look great!

Michael Fling

Supporter
Been playing with a number of things on the car. I hope to have the rear modified and new tail lights completed by next weekend. We will see...

In the mean time i have done a few minor things with the dash. I wanted the dash to have easy in/out. I have a little different set up for supporting my dash. I threaded some bolts that have up/down adjustment. This allows for easy repositioning.

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7891.jpg

I also wanted to make access to the area under easy. So I made the middle pod removable. Once the leather is added to the dash, I don't believe you will even know it is removable.

IMG_7892.jpg

I have added my door, power, emergency flasher and overhead light switches along with the air vents on my overhead panel. This will have alcantera.

IMG_7867.jpg

IMG_7864.jpg

I had to pay homage to Porsche. My starter button and accusump switch are located on th left side of the dash...

IMG_7894.jpg

Also finished the electric foot pedal mechanism. I had up/down billet switches made for the pedals and front lift so they match the other switches...

IMG_7839.jpg

One last fun thing. My buddy in Dallas surprised me with a little something. He is making these and selling them for $1600. Really cool. You can spec out color... He also has book ends. If you are interested, pm me and I can get you in touch.

IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7831.jpg

Michael Fling

Supporter
I was speaking in Boston last week. While there, I met with Scott. Scott is the person who updated the RCR website. Sounds like his build is going to be remarkable! He is waiting on delivery of his SLC. In addition to a personal tour of Boston, he shared insight into a dash unit option that may be very nice but less $$ than the Autometer. It is the new color display units from Motec.

I was in Dallas today. While visiting family, I hooked up with Craig (SLC builder) and we went to Sean Fischer's race shop. He is a Motec dealer. His shop did a car that holds a record for the Texas mile and a 273mph Fararri that had a salt flat record. He really likes the SLC. His gig is different than mine... I like start/stop left/right stuff. At any rate, the Motec c127 will work well with our car. Some values have to be included with seprecate inputs, but all doable. It has a custom configurable display, all coler LED. Up grade to a Motec ECU and you can add traction control, and sequential paddle shifting with launch control.

Wanted to mention the Motec127. Also wanted to mention how nice it is to have developed such great friendships via a car. Many thanks to Craig and Scott and to Allan for all your help!

Michael Fling

Supporter
I am going a little different direction with the wheel well skirts. Instead of mounting the front skirt of the rear wheel independent, I incorporated it into the rear clam. It will have an adjustable rod to support the corner.

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7929.jpg

IMG_7928.jpg

IMG_7927.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Fling

Supporter
I like your air vents.

I see you used vents with a pivot valve to control cabin air flow. Above the vents, did you do anything to keep water out when driving in the rain?

I have a fiberglass plenum that is integrated with the center spyder section. I have ducting (pvc) that goes vertical from the vent into the plenum. Water is going to have to make a 90 degree turn to be a real problem (I hope) :huh:

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about adding a vent there as well.

Do you have a PIC of your plenum?
I have a fiberglass plenum that is integrated with the center spyder section. I have ducting (pvc) that goes vertical from the vent into the plenum. Water is going to have to make a 90 degree turn to be a real problem (I hope) :huh:

Back