Fling SLC Build Thread

Craig, no problem...they have always been available, just a tick on the order form...if you prefer them get hold of Dean and he can sort you out.

Michael Fling

Supporter
It is important to know where you are going before you ever begin. I got the gray gel coat thinking it would serve as a good color under my final finish. I have had a paint scheme in mind a long time.... I will not be breaking the car down until Saturday. Friday night is the "Christening" party and I don't want to dissemble it until then. So,,, I play with possibilities.

photo_3-1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_1-2.jpg

I see brackets for the fling wing... it'd be nice to see some good photos of those mounts. Just wondering if it would be an easy add on for those of us who have the street tail.

You have a big work area-garage. Very nice & congratulations -- have fun.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Because I got the interior tub, they elected not to put other parts with the car upon delivery. So, the extra crate with those item will arrive tomorrow. I'll post some pics after it arrives.

Thanks for the pics of the new tub looks good, love the "hump" over the support beam on the floor now. Awesome job Fran! Can't wait to see this build progress! Where is the wing?? :p

I was able to make it to Michael's huge cookout/unveiling last night. There were a ton of people there and the car was center stage all night. I had to leave prior to Michael opening up the rear clip but I was able to see the new center tub and it does really polish up the interior by hiding some of the lines (like the support beam in the floor for example). I know Michael is part sorting today and I will run by if I get a chance in this busy day. Congrats Michael! I'm very excited and jealous :)

Michael Fling

Supporter
I had a Christening party for the car last night. Rav reviews. Everyone loved the car! So I unpacked parts today and took inventory. The brackets for the wing have been bent in shipping :thumbsdown:. I think it will be an easy fix.

photo_1-4.jpg

Once that is corrected and I receive brackets from the upper upright to the wing, I'll get it mounted and take some pics. Here are a few pics of the lower bracket in place. Looks nice.

photo_2-5.jpg

photo_1-6.jpg

It will take some fine tuning to get the rear bonnet to open properly. There is a bar on the bottom of the bonnet that just interferes with the bottom of the Graz. Just some fine tuning... but I really like the idea of having the street tail with the removable wing.

The welds on the frame and the suspension are art work. I am looking forward to the challenge!

Last edited:

Michael Fling

Supporter
Ty Yos. You have been a big help already. So I got her undressed today. See is beautiful. I must say there is really nice craftsmanship and the interior tub is a really cool piece.

photo_3-8.jpg

photo_2-7.jpg

photo_4-6.jpg

the new rollcage is sweet in stainless. is that powercoat, paint or ss?
I remeber that phase, work for 2-3 hours, rinse hands and you can be in a restaurant with no road dirt.

Michael Fling

Supporter
So I got things sorted and started the breakdown tonight. I ran into my first issue with the new interior tub.

IMG_4157.jpg

The back of the tub fits over the frame and under the roll cage. In order to place it or remove the tub, the roll cage and connected bulkhead has to be removed. Because I don't want it in place while installing many of the components (many components are attached to the bulkhead and access to the fuel cell area isn't possible), I want the ability to remove/place it at will.

IMG_4168.jpg

So I have taped where I will cut it. Then it can easily be installed and removed with the cage and bulkhead in place. Because I intend on having these areas upholstered in leather, the sectioning won't be a problem.

A rear corner was removed as I prepare to have the engine/tranny removed so I can get the reflect-a-gold added to the rear frame.

The brakes were removed so the calipers can be powder coated. Does any one have insight into how the clips are removed to release the 2 pins that hold the pads?

IMG_4172.jpg

Back