Fuel tanks

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Guys

You can also get a swirl pot with a built in HP fuel pump. I cannot remember the name offhand, but it certainly helps in the overall packaging of the fuel system

Ian

Look at Oriol's build thread. They shortened the passenger tank, and basically took the chopped off bit and plugged the open end, then stuck it back up there. Instant swirl pot.

Hi Darrin - how about the space behind the fuel tanks... One side has the battery and the other side the swirl pot. Not sure if a stock swirl pot would have the right dimensions to fit, but maybe a bespoke one could be fabricated to the space available. Would be out of the way there...

Hi James,

I took a look last night. To me, it seems that you could run a fuel line along the edge of the chassis between the tanks to connect the two together and this would prevent the thing from ever getting ripped open.

As for the swirl pot, yes, there is indeed enough room on either side from what I saw. They aren't that big (6" x 6" gives you 2L I believe).

May take a photo and mark it up with my thoughts on what I plan to do unless I get convinced that an in-tank pump is the way to go.

I think that either Summit or Jegs has fuel lines that are right at 2" in diameter. They fit the openings of the fillers perfectly. They are a clear polyethelene(I think) rated for fuel, and don't kink very much on the bends to the tank. I cut mine and put a section of bent steel tubing just to keep it from kinking more than I was seeing. They are about 1/4" thick as I remember. Very difficult to cut due to their thickness.

Bill

Have you experienced any degradation due to sun exposure Bill? I know they shouldn't get much light, but I hear this is a gripe folks have and can see it if you show the car a lot and pop the front open.

I like the look of the clear but was thinking about going with this to be on the safe side (I know...it's a bit of overkill): Lawrence Reinforeced Fuel Fill Hose 2" I.D. Foot Length

I think that either Summit or Jegs has fuel lines that are right at 2" in diameter. They fit the openings of the fillers perfectly. They are a clear polyethelene(I think) rated for fuel, and don't kink very much on the bends to the tank. I cut mine and put a section of bent steel tubing just to keep it from kinking more than I was seeing. They are about 1/4" thick as I remember. Very difficult to cut due to their thickness.

Bill

Darrin,
The lines are enclosed and will never see sunlight except when I open the filler to put gas in. I paneled the inside off so that they are not eposed to the interior.
Fromenginecompartmenttofront.jpg

P2020062.jpg

That panel meets the footwell panel so it is sealed. I guess with 8 port FI, I will go through a lot of gas so i will be opening it more times than most!!! I have had these lines for roughly the full time I have had the car which is going on 10 years. These filler lines have been eposed off and on to gas and they weren't put in for a couple of years while they laid around the shop. No degredation noticed at all.
The lnes you are looking at should hold up very well. There are a lot of choices out there particularly in the marine environment. If yours or mine ever do degrade, they will give off a smell long before they are ready to give up the ghost. I noticed that mine did flex a bit, so I cut them and had some steel bends made and tied them all together. So far no hiccups. On a side note, be sure to install vents on the rear and the front of the tanks. That will take care of any air bubbles that might cause an increase in pressure when full, or parking on a slope. I tied them together rear to front and then have them mounted near the filler tubes. I used a roll over valve(2) that will allow air to enter but no fuel vapors to escape until it exceeds a small amount of pressure.
P9060282.jpg

Found them on Demonn Tweaks I believe. It cuts down on the fuel smell in the garage. I guess I could have put a charcoal cannister in line but the space is so small, I would have to fabricate one. The only time you can smell anything is when I first crank it up and when I get home from a ride. + I need a tuneup since I haven't had one since my episode with the timing(long story).

Bill

Back