G96/01 rear support

I'm using a Porsche G96/01- LS3 combo. The rear section of the trans is not supported. I believe I read somewhere some builders are using a rear trans mount. My engine and trans are solidly mounted. Any suggestions?

I'm using a Porsche G96/01- LS3 combo. The rear section of the trans is not supported. I believe I read somewhere some builders are using a rear trans mount. My engine and trans are solidly mounted. Any suggestions?

Anyone using a rear mount with any trans?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Graziano setup uses two rods with rod ends for the rear mounts. The frame side rod ends mount to the rear cross brace bolts.

A bit hard to see, but the transmission mounts are the bars going directly under the front of the mufflers:

Last edited:
You may want to google ffr forums and your question as there are considerably more of them who have installed the G96-01 and there are at least a couple of ways I've seen them mount it...just for ideas (didn't want to link, but its easily found).

This is what I did with my G96.50 in my Pantera. Not exactly the same box or car, but hopefully it might give you an idea.

sabre737-albums-pantera-picture1670-g96-50-rear-support.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Picture from my build site... Sorry for the poor lighting in my shop at the time..

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 375
Scott one thing I know for sure ( Years at the race track observing other peoples mistakes ) is if the engine is solidly mounted the trans needs a solid mount. I've seen a few cracked trans cases in my day. They were rear wheel drive/ front engine cars though. I have no experience with a Porsche with solid mounts. But I'm making a solid mount for mine.

I agree on the solid mounting of the transaxle. Here's a similar setup on what I'd call a solid mount on a P4 replica with G96.

ENG&TRAN+fitted.jpg

I could be wrong about those inserts as I haven't researched this yet, but I thought those inserts possibly stiffened the transmission mount as it is inherently a bushing (It takes up the space where the bushing could move). Unless you are planning to remove it and/or not use that location at all (maybe a good idea).

pic01.jpg

Pretty sure the G96 lacks the mounting provisions such as pictured on the G50's. An option could be to remove the bushing (here) and then machine solid bushings to fit in the space and then mount as pictured.

confirmed from the link I posted

...Its empty voids allow for too much transmission movement...Racecars utilize a solid metal mount...transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin...

achieve the benefits of a solid mount while retaining daily drivability...slides in to fill and fortify the empty voids of the OEM mount, preventing premature bushing wear and undesirable transmission movement, all while transmitting minimal added noise and vibration.

I may still give this a shot. From the comments on Porsche forums these are very stiff. People were reverting back to the stock mount after installing the medium/yellows as there was too much NSV. I think very slight give in the tail would be okay. Having more movement at the engine/adapter plate mounts while the tail is fixed would be worse IMO.

Another example of the style I'm planning to use. This is a Palatov dp2. It's also solid engine/adapter plate mounted...and using stock bushing/mount.

20130729_163252_zpsc16f0050.jpg

20130628_165658_zps2d8b3f10.jpg

It would be much easier if the G96-01 had that plate mount on top. Also the G50-50's have the housing transition very near the back of the transaxle so having rod arm attached there alone probably wouldn't be enough since it's only halfway up the gearbox on the G96...but as Randy said probably very effective for lateral and twisting movements. I think a combination of the rod arms as posted by Randy plus a simple bracket at the stock rear location would be sufficient and easy enough.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice job Scott..
My problem with doing something like that is that the G50 needs to have a short tail housing (formerly a nose housing when installed in a Pcar) in order to fit inside the bodywork of the GT40. I don't think there would be any way to make a longer gearbox fit in a GT40.

Back